JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

• Volunteer
54 minutes ago, franin said:

Congrats Kazz

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

oh congrats indeed  Kazz ! oh i definitely missed the little hint dropped in the last post too ! definitely getting bigger and heavier :D ! all for the better though :) 

Thanks guys, won't get to use it for a little while yet (house still in pieces) but didn't want to take a chance on missing out with the way things are in these weird times.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Thanks guys, won't get to use it for a little while yet (house still in pieces) but didn't want to take a chance on missing out with the way things are in these weird times.

oh indeed done well to grab one, i would just to be safe make sure you test it though... even for a few hours on a wall. you dont want to find any DOA issues down the track. better to find upfront :) 

• Like 1

I agree 100% with Al. Trust me turn turn it for a few hours actually if you can use it for a week you should just too make sure you dont get the dreaded stripe issues like I did.  Also check the lens ,make  sure it can focus etc. 

• Like 1

Excuse the unclean non JVC owner intruding into this thread.  But you guys in NSW seem to have Tony and Mick doing great calibration jobs, are there any well respected calibrators in Melbourne?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, avian said:

Excuse the unclean non JVC owner intruding into this thread.  But you guys in NSW seem to have Tony and Mick doing great calibration jobs, are there any well respected calibrators in Melbourne?

hi avian, tony does do melbourne, does regular visits, thats how i managed to get mine done, not sure when tony's next trip to melbourne is but this is the melbourne calibration thread :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer
13 hours ago, betty boop said:

oh indeed done well to grab one, i would just to be safe make sure you test it though... even for a few hours on a wall. you dont want to find any DOA issues down the track. better to find upfront :) 

12 hours ago, franin said:

I agree 100% with Al. Trust me turn turn it for a few hours actually if you can use it for a week you should just too make sure you dont get the dreaded stripe issues like I did.  Also check the lens ,make  sure it can focus etc. 

Yes good point, considering some of the problems I've read about, I've just ordered a new 15m Ruipro as mine was damaged at the same time as my PJ so I can test both of them together next week.

• Like 1

Just now, Kazz said:

Yes good point, considering some of the problems I've read about, I've just ordered a new 15m Ruipro as mine was damaged at the same time as my PJ so I can test both of them together next week.

Am sure will be fine and really happy ... but to be sure :D 

I hope things all sorted for you sooner than later after debacle in last year, bet can’t wait to be enjoying again on the big screen !

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, betty boop said:

Am sure will be fine and really happy ... but to be sure :D 

I hope things all sorted for you sooner than later after debacle in last year, bet can’t wait to be enjoying again on the big screen !

I'm told all works will be finished by the end of May so I'm really looking forward to moving back home and being able to watch on the big screen again.  Thankfully the HT equipment end of the lounge room survived so I still have all of that stuff and my Pana OLED but I am missing the big screen.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

I just joined the club with a new n7.

oh very nice Alan ! veto and jvc n7 brothers we can be :D

Ido hope not planning to have it live on that veto sub though.  :D

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, betty boop said:

oh very nice Alan ! veto and jvc n7 brothers we can be :D

Ido hope not planning to have it live on that veto sub though.  :D

On sub(gently i might add) just for photo Al. Need to take a trip into Bunnings Saturday to get some timber so i can strengthen my table top mount that it has to sit on. Put on Zootopia in SDR and it looked great. HDR at the moment is a little hit and miss, so need to look into it a little more. Def needs calibrating for HDR at least. Dark scenes way too dark at the moment as almost unwatchable. See what i can do with the image. Def sharper than my x5500 but at the moment no where near as good in dark scenes, as my x5500 was calibrated.  But i have only had it for 10 hours, so early days yet.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

How is yours going Scott. How are the dark scenes for you.? Any tips

hi alan, pg 37 of this thread onwards has some good info, are you suing the theatre optimiser ? have you plugged in your screen size and gain ? 

below video is good for some basics... chris from jvc steps through the menu settings....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

How is yours going Scott. How are the dark scenes for you.? Any tips

So, I am running a 165" scope screen with a lens. But for 16 x 9 stuff I think it equates to 130" or so 16x9 screen. It's pretty big.  So I'm probably pushing the limits of brightness in my setup, and I dare say it's slightly on the darker side of things.

There's two kinds of dark scenes:

1. Space shots with black backgrounds and bright white stars - these scenes look INCREDIBLE. I mean, just jaw dropping. Mine's uncalibrated but I did follow some guides and dropped my picture brightness to -3. 

2. All over dim/dark scenes such as night time shots, dark rooms and generally moody colour grading tends to be a bit on the dark side of things. Particularly when I run my anamorphic lens and the bigger 165" screen size, it probably is a notch too dark for my liking. Which is why I'm considering shrinking my screen size (by virtue of moving my screen closer to the PJ when I build a false wall to place my speakers behind the screen).

Pro tip - go into the theatre optimiser and ensure it is set to 'High'. This has a definite, obvious, large affect on brightness. I spoke with Richard from OZTS and while his screens have a gain of 1.27, he suggested plugging in 1.1 as the value so the projector doesn't automatically dim the picture to compensate for screen gain.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scottrichardson said:

So, I am running a 165" scope screen with a lens. But for 16 x 9 stuff I think it equates to 130" or so 16x9 screen. It's pretty big.  So I'm probably pushing the limits of brightness in my setup, and I dare say it's slightly on the darker side of things.

There's two kinds of dark scenes:

1. Space shots with black backgrounds and bright white stars - these scenes look INCREDIBLE. I mean, just jaw dropping. Mine's uncalibrated but I did follow some guides and dropped my picture brightness to -3. 

2. All over dim/dark scenes such as night time shots, dark rooms and generally moody colour grading tends to be a bit on the dark side of things. Particularly when I run my anamorphic lens and the bigger 165" screen size, it probably is a notch too dark for my liking. Which is why I'm considering shrinking my screen size (by virtue of moving my screen closer to the PJ when I build a false wall to place my speakers behind the screen).

Pro tip - go into the theatre optimiser and ensure it is set to 'High'. This has a definite, obvious, large affect on brightness. I spoke with Richard from OZTS and while his screens have a gain of 1.27, he suggested plugging in 1.1 as the value so the projector doesn't automatically dim the picture to compensate for screen gain.

Ok thanks Scott. Richard also mentioned the screen gain to me via email yesterday. I forgot what my screen gain was, so i emailed him. When i picked my N7 up Richard had it running for me incase there was any problems with lines at what not. The 1.1 value was already for me. I drove 7 hours down and 7 hours back to pick mine up and was not taking any chances on freight. Its a bummer being so far from the cities sometimes. My screen is only 130 scope but does put out a very bright image in outdoor scenes in most movies. I have my optimiser on medium. I always run my lamp on low although high does brighten up the image somewhat. No doubt it will look better calibrated but for sdr out of the box i was impressed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scottrichardson said:

165" is a BIG screen scott, but if going a AT setup that would certainly give some gains system wise and chance to go a smaller screen as you say. the optimiser does i think pull things off pretty well, but there are limits what can achieve i guess...light will be main issue with a larger screen. id also try without the ht optimiser and check the DTM on different levels :) 

1 hour ago, drummerboy01 said:

Ok thanks Scott. Richard also mentioned the screen gain to me via email yesterday. I forgot what my screen gain was, so i emailed him. When i picked my N7 up Richard had it running for me incase there was any problems with lines at what not. The 1.1 value was already for me. I drove 7 hours down and 7 hours back to pick mine up and was not taking any chances on freight. Its a bummer being so far from the cities sometimes. My screen is only 130 scope but does put out a very bright image in outdoor scenes in most movies. I have my optimiser on medium. I always run my lamp on low although high does brighten up the image somewhat. No doubt it will look better calibrated but for sdr out of the box i was impressed.

hi Alan, I just had to set screen size and gain and all has been great, but with my smaller screen have light to spare, plus been calibrated since as well. that said id make sure screen size and gain is in and also try high. 130" is also a big screen :) especially if zooming for scope.. otherwise hopefully can get calibrated as these really come up very well :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

165" is a BIG screen scott, but if going a AT setup that would certainly give some gains system wise and chance to go a smaller screen as you say. the optimiser does i think pull things off pretty well, but there are limits what can achieve i guess...light will be main issue with a larger screen. id also try without the ht optimiser and check the DTM on different levels :) 

hi Alan, I just had to set screen size and gain and all has been great, but with my smaller screen have light to spare, plus been calibrated since as well. that said id make sure screen size and gain is in and also try high. 130" is also a big screen :) especially if zooming for scope.. otherwise hopefully can get calibrated as these really come up very well :)

Yea i think 1900L is way bright enough even for my screen. 160 though is getting right up there.Hdr itself needs to be looked at on projectors. If i can get a great setup from my x5500 then the N7 should be able to just surpass it a little. The x5500 for an entry level projector is outstanding on what Mark Techer got out of it for me when here, it was remarkable and just to add to that he only had basic equipment. He did a wonderful job with that x5500 of mine(now Richards). That x5500 was so reliable and never any trouble. I honestly think i pulled of a good one there. Hope this projector ends up the same. I must say though that without a doubt the N7 is a little sharper so far, so that's a good sign. If using a 4k player to play movies, i do believe though that compromises have to be made to view HDR content clearly in dark scenes. When Mark Techer was here calibrating the x5500 we had to turn of 4K(50p/60p)4:4:4 output on my Panasonic ub900 to get a picture that was considered passable for HDR dark scenes. I really don't know why BUT it worked a treat. I tried it with this projector n7 and did not make any difference. Although this projector is not yet calibrated either, but i do believe there are trade offs to be made with the source. So far after have the audyssey pro kit and so on, this video calibration game is a completely different ball game. Hit and miss for sure as every projector is different according to lens and so on.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

I honestly think i pulled of a good one there. Hope this projector ends up the same. I must say though that without a doubt the N7 is a little sharper so far, so that's a good sign. If using a 4k player to play movies, i do believe though that compromises have to be made to view HDR content clearly in dark scenes. When Mark Techer was here calibrating the x5500 we had to turn of 4K(50p/60p)4:4:4 output on my Panasonic ub900 to get a picture that was considered passable for HDR dark scenes. I really don't know why BUT it worked a treat. I tried it with this projector n7 and did not make any difference. Although this projector is not yet calibrated either, but i do believe there are trade offs to be made with the source. So far after have the audyssey pro kit and so on, this video calibration game is a completely different ball game. Hit and miss for sure as every projector is different according to lens and so on.

hiAlan, without a shred of doubt yours will be as good and then better with the n7 over the x5500 which was a very good machine in its own right. Have no doubt mark teacher will have it setup petty special

On 27/12/2020 at 3:14 PM, fire said:

I haven’t yet updated my N7 to fw 3.50 as people were talking about “issues” late last year. Those who upgraded to 3.50 or those who bought later units with 3.50 installed - are you happy? Any issues or advice please?

23 minutes ago, TrueRealist said:

I haven’t yet updated my N7 to fw 3.50 as people were talking about “issues” late last year. Those who upgraded to 3.50 or those who bought later units with 3.50 installed - are you happy? Any issues or advice please?

no issue TR, ive run it since when it was released and been set forget for me. I would just update. if you dont want to use the HT optimiser, dont have to. and then not only get the previous DTM but more levels of adjustment with this update :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TrueRealist said:

I have only had mine for two days with the latest FW and have had no issues. I have never owned one with previous FW though. Richard from Oz Theatre tested mine for a couple of hours before i picked it up and reported no issues also. I have not had time today to fire it up as been busy but will tomorrow. My lamp hours are only 10 hours with the 3'50 FW. So far so good.

• Like 2