JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, dandlj said:

I was planning on taking photos of my settings as suggested by JVC. Is more removed than JVC said would be in their reset list?

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/pdf/v350_reset_list_en_V001.pdf

No, would have helped if I read that first wouldn't it!

Anyway all fixed now, I turned on the theatre optimisation and this was also helpful to watch: 

1 hour ago, cindernat said:

Interesting, so it updates every 100

hours, that’s awesome. I thought initially people though it wouldn’t take the lamp hours into account. 

Edited by Hansel

Hey guys, I have a JVC N5. I use the lens memory feature to vertically shift the picture from centre to bottom of screen for wide screen movies. 

Probably being a bit paranoid but would using the saved lens shift feature couple of times a day reduce the life of the projector? I.e. Has anyone experienced any failure with using the vertical lens shift feature regularly? 

Thanks in advance. 

Just an update on earlier, that trick seems to have sorted the iris thanks Woofer. Have put it back to AUTO2 after doing what you suggested, watched a movie and 2 shows, no clicking (so far anyway). So thanks!

Using theatre optimisation at High seems to have helped boost my brightness as well, which could be being affected by lamp age (2300 hours). Not sure. And possibly the iris change as well!

• Like 1

CAUTION......New JVC Firmware 3:50 Update..

Posted by Kris Deering....

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread.3038288/post-60261335

Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Premium Member

Joined Oct 5, 2002
11,561 Posts
Had a few issues yesterday while calibrating two different NX9's with the latest firmware. The first one was a bit weird and not repeatable but I was in the color temperature menu and changing the baseline (going from 6500 to 7500 and so on) would show visible changes on screen, but if I changed any of the gains it would do nothing at all. I tried for a few minutes with no luck. After about 10 minutes I came back and it worked (not sure why it didn't at first still).

Later I worked on another NX9 and was using the Profile Off (wide) with HIGH BRIGHT for color temperature to explore some LUT possibilities. I've been seeing issues with this for a couple days. Two issues here. The first is the color profile. When I set this a couple days ago, the gamut coverage is what I expected (just a bit wider than P3), but when I checked it last night again it was never wider than the Profile OFF (normal) gamut BUT the filter was in place as I was clearly seeing the light loss (almost 25% with this unit). I changed the profile a few times with no luck in getting the full gamut. If I changed to the BT2020 wide gamut, I got full P3 coverage with no issue. On top of that, the HIGH BRIGHT color temperature setting is inconsistent. It doesn't always engage properly even after adjustment. So say you adjust it and get it where it needs to be for the white point, then the video source changes. It doesn't apply the changes you made in the gains unless you move one of the gains again (just one click). I've been seeing this for a couple days now. Last night I was working on a new calibration and every time I came back to the white point this bug would crop up (so it happened several times in the same session).

I will be talking to JVC about this today, but for folks looking to do LUT calibrations with the new Off profile, you may want to ensure you are not seeing the same thing or hold off until more information is available.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cindernat said:

I would agree my indoor scenes look really dark now, was bothering me watching the Queen's Gambit.

Guess we'll hold tight to see what JVC says.

Also I've noticed the iris click creep back in :/

Yep, mine seems to be back as well. I'm just ignoring it for now, it's not constant, just occasional.

Just now, Hansel said:

Yep, mine seems to be back as well. I'm just ignoring it for now, it's not constant, just occasional.

Same ...

I read on AVS forum they are suggesting to use Manual 1 on the iris to fix the dark indoor scenes.

6 hours ago, cindernat said:

I would agree my indoor scenes look really dark now, was bothering me watching the Queen's Gambit.

Guess we'll hold tight to see what JVC says.

Also I've noticed the iris click creep back in :/

If the Iris is still audibly making a "clicking" sound i am afraid you will need to send it in for a fix!!!   Eventually it will completely fail and if at that time if your out of warranty it would be a VERY costly fix!  ☹️

RE...New 3:50 Firmware......much talk off the forums.....quite a few issues with it!!! ☹️

1 minute ago, wooferocau said:

If the Iris is still audibly making a "clicking" sound i am afraid you will need to send it in for a fix!!!   Eventually it will completely fail and if at that time if your out of warranty it would be a VERY costly fix!  ☹️

RE...New 3:50 Firmware......much talk off the forums.....quite a few issues with it!!! ☹️

I know you're right, unfortunately :(

Mmm, a bit concerning. I had a look at when you have the iris to manual, I can't move it above 0 so not sure how I'm supposed to set it at 1?

I could go back to using HDR10 profile, it has all my calibration settings in it already.

11 minutes ago, cindernat said:

I know you're right, unfortunately :(

Mmm, a bit concerning. I had a look at when you have the iris to manual, I can't move it above 0 so not sure how I'm supposed to set it at 1?

I could go back to using HDR10 profile, it has all my calibration settings in it already.

The Iris range is 0 to -15    you CAN NOT  move it "Above"  "0" 

6 minutes ago, cindernat said:

That’s what I figured. 

Do you think they mean -1?

I "think" they are referring to using a "Manual" setting of +1  in the JVC DTM interface INSTEAD of using the TO ( Theatre Optimiser)  NOT the Iris...?

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread.3038288/post-60262547

Hi all,

Here's the D.I. noise if you'd like to hear it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc27hgvolqswyuo/DI Click.mp3?dl=0

I've been in touch with my retailer and he's referred me a few JVC service centers not too far from me, apparently all they need is the invoice to prove it's within warranty period. I will get in touch with them and see what the process is. I'm guessing they won't be able to give me an ETA on how long they'll have it for, sigh.

I had a 30 min period today where it was quiet and 'normal' but unfortunately didn't last long.

In other news setting the tone mapping to 1 has improved the brightness of indoor scenes considerably. So theatre optimiser is off until they address that.

50 minutes ago, cindernat said:

Hi all,

Here's the D.I. noise if you'd like to hear it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc27hgvolqswyuo/DI Click.mp3?dl=0

I've been in touch with my retailer and he's referred me a few JVC service centers not too far from me, apparently all they need is the invoice to prove it's within warranty period. I will get in touch with them and see what the process is. I'm guessing they won't be able to give me an ETA on how long they'll have it for, sigh.

I had a 30 min period today where it was quiet and 'normal' but unfortunately didn't last long.

In other news setting the tone mapping to 1 has improved the brightness of indoor scenes considerably. So theatre optimiser is off until they address that.

Yes I heard that clicking. Not good at all.

From Kris regarding TO:

Some thoughts on TO vs non-TO. First, they are the same thing in terms of tone mapping. JVC isn't using different tone mapping algorithms for one vs the other. TO is designed to give the tone mapping more information to work with so that it can (hopefully) make better decisions when it comes to how to implement the tone map (basically trying to get a good idea of how much light it has to work with) instead of making a general assumption to work across all usage cases.

For example. If you have say 100 nits, and the non-TO tone mapping is based on the assumption that the end user has about 100 nits you get a tone map that is pretty much ideal to what JVC intended. If you use the TO and JVC's processing estimates that you have about 100 nits based on the parameters, you get the same tone map. Obviously there will be differences based on where you set the levels, but these should be fairly small.

Now if you are not using TO and you are way off what JVC's default estimate is, the results could be drastically different than using TO because TO may do a far better job of estimating your actual light. Based on comments here, most people tend to be in a rather small range of light off screen, so I would expect the differences to be smaller rather than larger.

I also find that most people seem to prefer a more compressed dynamic range than a higher one (they want an overall brighter picture, not a more dynamic one). I think this is the case with flat panels too. This goes back to my comments about people not understanding that HDR was never intended to be a bright format, but a dynamic one. I think the majority of people don't understand the difference between BRIGHT and DYNAMIC any more than they didn't understand it with audio when you talk about LOUD vs DYNAMIC. When they were given high dynamic range music they didn't like it and found it unusable in most normal listening environments. They are seeing the same thing with HDR and we are already seeing steps being taken to compress the image because once again, people don't like it in normal viewing environments.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have an x7500 and have been pondering an upgrade to nx5 as the prices seem to have dropped a bit from retail. I have a panasonic ub420 that I use for bluray/UHD. I also have a dedicated theatre room with blockout blind and dark walls/ceiling. The pj is shelf mounted at rear of room and projects onto 120 inch motorized screen over a distance of approx 4m lens to screen, seating position is around 3m.

Would I see a significant difference in the proposed upgrade, especially given the new firmware, or should I wait for either further price drops or new pj release?

15 hours ago, venno said:

I currently have an x7500 and have been pondering an upgrade to nx5 as the prices seem to have dropped a bit from retail. I have a panasonic ub420 that I use for bluray/UHD. I also have a dedicated theatre room with blockout blind and dark walls/ceiling. The pj is shelf mounted at rear of room and projects onto 120 inch motorized screen over a distance of approx 4m lens to screen, seating position is around 3m.

Would I see a significant difference in the proposed upgrade, especially given the new firmware, or should I wait for either further price drops or new pj release?

This one on sale for pre order venno ? JVC DLA-N5 4K High Resolution Projector Black | Klapp Audio Visual (klappav.com.au)

Dont expect any new jvc's for ages thanks to covid etc . If you play a lot of uhd blurays the new tone mapping  and TO will help heaps compared compared to the fixed curve tone mapping you have . I would keep an eye out on any posts concerning iris mechanisms and potential firmwares associated ?

I managed to pick up one of the last N7s. It arrived here a couple day’s ago and am yet to turn it on. 

Very excited to see how she looks, although hoping it has no issues that have been bothering some people. 

I also have a slide and an Aussiemorphic Mk4 lens ready to go. 

I will read back through the myriad pages in this post and see what potential issues to look out for. Wish me luck!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, scottrichardson said:

I managed to pick up one of the last N7s. It arrived here a couple day’s ago and am yet to turn it on. 

Very excited to see how she looks, although hoping it has no issues that have been bothering some people. 

I also have a slide and an Aussiemorphic Mk4 lens ready to go. 

I will read back through the myriad pages in this post and see what potential issues to look out for. Wish me luck!

Don't over analyse or you will go nuts.

Just enjoy the visual goodness. 

• Like 1

OK got my N7 mounted and powered up! I have not placed the slide or anamorphic lens in front yet. Will do that tonight. Just wanted to get the vanilla PJ all set up nicely first.

OK, so mine doesn't have the latest 3.51 firmware. So I'll download that tonight and install.

Quick question - how do I map 'anamorphic mode' to a button on the remote?

My old X9500 had a button on the remote, but this new model doesn't, and it's a hell of a pain having to go into the menu to switch to anamorphic to get the slide to trigger and move the lens in place. I'm sure this has been asked before but there's a lot of posts in here!!

Scottie