JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

just a note re the upcoming update dtmv2 ... 

From kris on avs in the n5/7/9 thread,

“From what I've been told it wipes ALL settings, so I would NOT recommend doing the update if you've had your projector professionally calibrated and want to retain those settings. I would wait until the next time you can have it calibrated. The new update makes some significant changes to the main picture menus and settings, so it clears them.”

advice is put off calibration if had planned ... which most of us have been putting off anyways :D due to Covid. if done calibration one other suggestion is get listing of main settings. Most calibrators tend to give you this as report anyways ...

anyway good heads up from kris. Folks will remember with last update any changed menu screens obviously settings were wiped. Same this time ... just this time update more significant it seems ! 

• Like 1

And the review of the new update is also up...

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hands-jvc-s-new-theater-optimizer-function

"

Hands-On with JVC’s New Theater Optimizer Function

Kris Deering  |  Sep 15, 2020

At the last CEDIA Expo in September 2019, JVC announced a firmware update for its native 4K D-ILA projectors that delivered true frame adaptive HDR tone mapping to the lineup. For CEDIA Expo Virtual 2020, the company’s key announcement is an improved version of that Frame Adapt HDR feature called Theater Optimizer. The firmware also includes a few other tweaks and new features and will be available as a free firmware update in November 2020 for the following models: DLA-NX5, DLA-NX7, DLA-NX9, DLA-RS1000, DLA-RS2000, and DLA-RS3000.

I did an in-depth review of JVC’s Frame Adapt HDR feature in late 2019. This latest update not only refines the HDR tone mapping on the company’s projector line but adds interface improvements to increase ease of use and customization. JVC sent me a RS3000/NX9 projector loaded with a test version of the upcoming firmware so that I could compare it directly to my own reference RS3000 running the previous firmware. According to the company, this beta firmware is likely to be identical to the official release that will be offered in November. ~ "

first thing he talks about is the menu refresh...

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

just a note re the upcoming update dtmv2 ... 

From kris on avs in the n5/7/9 thread,

“From what I've been told it wipes ALL settings, so I would NOT recommend doing the update if you've had your projector professionally calibrated and want to retain those settings. I would wait until the next time you can have it calibrated. The new update makes some significant changes to the main picture menus and settings, so it clears them.”

advice is put off calibration if had planned ... which most of us have been putting off anyways :D due to Covid. if done calibration one other suggestion is get listing of main settings. Most calibrators tend to give you this as report anyways ...

anyway good heads up from kris. Folks will remember with last update any changed menu screens obviously settings were wiped. Same this time ... just this time update more significant it seems ! 

Thanks for posting this. As Kris suggested I have all the settings from Tony saved in a document, do you think it's just a matter of re-doing them? At any rate I might screen shot everything in the menu before I do it.

I will get it re-done once I put a new lamp in but that's awhile off so rather not wait that long.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cindernat said:

Thanks for posting this. As Kris suggested I have all the settings from Tony saved in a document, do you think it's just a matter of re-doing them? At any rate I might screen shot everything in the menu before I do it.

good on you Cinder, as I wondered if Tony provided that sort of thing, good he does and thats what id have at hand...but yeah screen shot every screen is what id suggest. I did the same with the last update :) 

13 minutes ago, cindernat said:

I will get it re-done once I put a new lamp in but that's awhile off so rather not wait that long.

yeah if tony is coming again as am sure he would could just redo ...but yeah a full calibration id save for next lamp :) 

One caveat: Theater Optimizer does not automatically adapt over time to the information entered. If you change the lamp mode, zoom setting (manually, not from an Installation mode), or put a significant number of hours on the lamp, you will have to toggle the Set button in the Theater Optimizer menu so the projector can recalculate the tone map based on the changes.

Hmm, so if you have to specify the lamp mode (low or high) in Optimizer, but the lamp mode will be changing based on if you're viewing SDR or HDR material, would that suggest this is kind of useless unless your lamp mode never changes (you leave it on High all the time for example)? Or every time you view HDR or SDR material you need to go into the Optimizer setting and manually adjust that setting every time?

Edited by Hansel

Just now, betty boop said:

good on you Cinder, as I wondered if Tony provided that sort of thing, good he does and thats what id have at hand...but yeah screen shot every screen is what id suggest. I did the same with the last update :) 

yeah if tony is coming again as am sure he would could just redo ...but yeah a full calibration id save for next lamp :) 

Cheers! I know there was a brief lamp discussion recently but I'd be interested to know when people need a new lamp where they get it from and how much, etc. I will need to look at this probably early next year.

5 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Hmm, so if you have to specify the lamp mode (low or high) in Optimizer, but the lamp mode will be changing based on if you're viewing SDR or HDR material, would that suggest this is kind of useless unless your lamp mode never changes (you leave it on High all the time for example)? Or every time you view HDR or SDR material you need to go into the Optimizer setting and manually adjust that setting every time?

thats the beauty it has separate setting for SDR and HDR so will sort out that ways :) they've even split SDR to 2DSDR and 3DSDR as some will run lamp in low for isntance in 2DSDR but high lamp for 3D so covered that ways :)

but definitely some caveats... one for A lens/scope ... it doesnt know what you are doing there so have to input the equivalent as says in early article

also it doesnt adapt with ageing ... so have to regularly go in there and hit the "set" button in the screen shot seems. I would do every 100-200 hours as i do now to check how lamp is going :)  

6 minutes ago, cindernat said:

Cheers! I know there was a brief lamp discussion recently but I'd be interested to know when people need a new lamp where they get it from and how much, etc. I will need to look at this probably early next year.

JVC and oztheatre or through your own dealer would be my suggestion. my spare lamp came from JVC as bonus when i got mine. you can also do the dominic chan options through avs but appears it has 25% less output. also option muriwai posted in separate thread for oem... his was x7000... the bare bulbs are same but they also sell housings and full assembly I beleive

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

thats the beauty it has separate setting for SDR and HDR so will sort out that ways :) they've even split SDR to 2DSDR and 3DSDR as some will run lamp in low for isntance in 2DSDR but high lamp for 3D so covered that ways :)

but definitely some caveats... one for A lens/scope ... it doesnt know what you are doing there so have to input the equivalent as says in early article

also it doesnt adapt with ageing ... so have to regularly go in there and hit the "set" button in the screen shot seems. I would do every 100-200 hours as i do now to check how lamp is going :)  

AH I see, so you basically set up Theater Optimizer per image mode? So once for SDR (or twice if you use 3D) and once for HDR?  I just assumed it was a set once thing, but that makes more sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hansel said:

AH I see, so you basically set up Theater Optimizer per image mode? So once for SDR (or twice if you use 3D) and once for HDR?  I just assumed it was a set once thing, but that makes more sense.

yeah it will be a set once forget. they have gone this way so auto can work based on content and automatically detecting so should be set forget (kris mentions this) :) but lets see....

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

JVC and oztheatre or through your own dealer would be my suggestion. my spare lamp came from JVC as bonus when i got mine. you can also do the dominic chan options through avs but appears it has 25% less output. also option muriwai posted in separate thread for oem... his was x7000... the bare bulbs are same but they also sell housings and full assembly I beleive

Thanks yeah I definitely don't want one with 25% less light output just to save some $, but I don't have any objection to getting an oem one if it's the same, thanks I'll try and find that info in the other thread.

• Like 1

just reading over article... apart from caveats already mentioned - lamp ageing ( doesnt auto adapt have to hit set to refresh so it can recalculate) and also A lens(have to put in equivalent as it has no idea what you are doing otherwise) 

the below is great news they havent as such changed way it works....so previous still holds ! he sees no issues with clipping :D

I’ve tested various HDR solutions for projectors since the format hit the scene and have even helped develop frame adaptive tone mapping for outboard video processors. For that reason, I have lots of experience to draw on. Right away, I wanted to concentrate on content that challenges tone mapping solutions when it comes to clipping artifacts and balancing high average picture levels. My go-to for both extremely high peak and average light levels is the Spears and Munsil UHD Benchmark disc. This disc’s UHD Montage is a powerful stress test for tone map solutions since it lets you jump between different versions (anywhere from a 10,000 nit to a 600 nit master) and almost instantly see how different nit levels are handled. Also, most of the UHD Montage has a very high average picture level (APL) that makes it difficult to display on a projector without artifacts. JVC’s previous frame adaptive tone mapping solutions had no issues with clipping, even when I jumped from the lowest nit grade to the 10,000 nit grade (I know of no other projector solution that comes remotely close to being able to do this) and the same held for the updated version.

the theatre optimiser thing is providing more info to the projector about considitons so that will help folks no doubt some contention of serious extreme where might want t play with settings and also even in low might look over cooked. looks like he wishes there was an auto setting and good also can also just turn the optimiser off ! 

"The differences I saw were not overwhelming, but also not completely subtle. It was immediately obvious that providing additional information to the projector about the screen and other parameters via the Theater Optimizer yielded benefits. Mainly, the tone map consistently added a bit more punch on the projector with JVC’s updated firmware: images had a brighter overall appearance, colors were more vibrant, and contrast visibly increased."

so overall I think he is saying this is a necessary update. providing more inputs and more adjustments capability. its not going to be an overwhelming improvement or anything... especially if you had things pretty right in first place, but if were finding it a bit wanting due to your setup variables which projector will have a better handle on its likely to provide a bit of benefit.

"Conclusion

With this latest firmware release, JVC has now developed two significant updates for its current projector line. Both add more performance-based features than what we’ve typically seen from the company’s previous mid-model updates, and either would have been worthy of new projectors with new model numbers. The fact that JVC provides these updates completely free to current projector owners is just icing on the cake and boosts the value of the product line considerably. JVC has continued to raise the bar for HDR playback from a projection system and in this particular respect has gained significant ground over its competition. I encourage all JVC owners to take full advantage of the new update when it arrives later this fall!"

from his conclusions definitely incremental or icing on cake as he says...i'll certainly give it a shot though, i dont think anything to loose :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, franin said:

So once we set the install mode for scope and 16:9 apparently their is no more auto settings. Do we have to choose one of the 5 modes for each individual movie ?

hi frank, i believe from what I read the auto is still there for HDR mode...

091520_JVC_Contents_Type.jpg

but also have 5 levels if want to do it manually yourself(up from 3 prior)... also there is the low medium high or off setting for the Home theatre optimiser thing which is the new one :) 

happy to be corrected on this as this is what have understood :) 

Just now, betty boop said:

hi frank, i believe from what I read the auto is still there for HDR mode...

091520_JVC_Contents_Type.jpg

but also have 5 levels if want to do it manually yourself(up from 3 prior)... also there is the low medium high or off setting for the Home theatre optimiser thing which is the new one :) 

happy to be corrected on this as this is what have understood :) 

Thanks Al. I hope so, I've. not had any issues with Auto. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franin said:

Thanks Al. I hope so, I've. not had any issues with Auto. 

same here frank...been set forget for me from day one of update last year...so hope can continue :D 

be interesting what the home theatre optimiser adds in practice ... as think its going to be setup dependant just how much value gives to folk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

same here frank...been set forget for me from day one of update last year...so hope can continue :D 

be interesting what the home theatre optimiser adds in practice ... as think its going to be setup dependant just how much value gives to folk.

It looks promising but the question how many hours will many members go in and change the lamp setting ? are we looking at every 500 hours or less ? 

edit my guess is when you calibrate 

Edited by franin
just thought of it lol
  • Like 1

Just now, franin said:

It looks promising but the question how many hours will many members go in and change the lamp setting ? are we looking at every 500 hours or less ? 

time will tell, upto folk I guess frank. as i mentioned i tend to check lamp usually somewhere in 100-200 hours... so myself likely just same time once played with that hit the set button :)  

surprised its not just self refreshed though ...probably a good call out from kris.

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

time will tell, upto folk I guess frank. as i mentioned i tend to check lamp usually somewhere in 100-200 hours... so myself likely just same time once played with that hit the set button :)  

surprised its not just self refreshed though ...probably a good call out from kris.

Regarding the hours if it’s just hitting that set button on each installation mode it’s not that bad. But I agree it should of been self refreshed. Maybe that will follow in another update.

• Like 1

From Kris

“Sorry for the confusion. There are not two settings. The Auto and 5 manual settings are only used if you are NOT using theater optimizer. The 3 selections of low, medium and highonly apply to when you ARE using theater optimizer. So two different approaches. You can also even choose their old static tone mapping or the tandem with Panasonic. So they still offer all the different options”

So if you decide to use the optimiser there is no auto. Or you can go back to what we’re using know with Auto but has 5 settings instead of the three. 

looks like there will be a good day of testing :)

edit: What are the 5 manual settings ?

Edited by franin

On 11/09/2020 at 1:51 PM, cindernat said:

I actually have this as well (if it's the same thing) and it got more frequent. I had to turn the iris off to stop it so I figured it's something to do with the iris. 

I had a similar issue  with my projector some months after Sony activated the iris function on the 760ES through a firmware update.  Sony replaced the lens/iris assembly under warranty.  My issue was the occasional  click or a few rapid clicks - not loud but enough to draw my attention.    I think it would be worth getting it sorted by JVC  because if it is the same issue you don't want it to deteriorate.

52 minutes ago, TP1 said:

I had a similar issue  with my projector some months after Sony activated the iris function on the 760ES through a firmware update.  Sony replaced the lens/iris assembly under warranty.  My issue was the occasional  click or a few rapid clicks - not loud but enough to draw my attention.    I think it would be worth getting it sorted by JVC  because if it is the same issue you don't want it to deteriorate.

Thanks. If the warranty is only 12 months, then I’m out of it unfortunately.