JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

25 minutes ago, betty boop said:

some good info there hansel probably helpful for @1000

we have used ours on x box one X, and across car racing to a few 1st person games, though yes as per hansel if really sensitive perhaps notice something

I read today the importer distributor in us has apparently run out of stock across the board... apparently been a run on them given folks stuck at home greatly :D 

how are you finding your jvc @Hansel I think have had it some months now ? all  good ?  :) 

Exceptionally helpful, thank you. I don’t play games online/competitively, more like stuff like Far Cry 5, Assassins Creed style games anyway. Pretty sure I’ve settled on the N5, but if I can find an N7 at the right price I’ll be there in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, betty boop said:

some good info there hansel probably helpful for @1000

we have used ours on x box one X, and across car racing to a few 1st person games, though yes as per hansel if really sensitive perhaps notice something

I read today the importer distributor in us has apparently run out of stock across the board... apparently been a run on them given folks stuck at home greatly :D 

how are you finding your jvc @Hansel I think have had it some months now ? all  good ?  :) 

Yep no problems at all, touch wood :)

Looking forward to hearing about this new update. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1000 said:

When the Xbox series X releases, 60fps gaming at 4K is going to be important. I have an older Sony HW40ES and I hear that the JVC input lag is a bit higher than the equivilant Sony model .. 26 ms Sony vs 37 ms JVC. Any other gamers using the N7 out there and can comment on whether you can feel any lag etc?

I would wait to see if the hdmi2.0a ports on all the current projectors out there will get some of the 2.1 features like VRR and QFT 1000 :)

One things for sure eventually 8k games will turn up ;as will 4k @120hz which needs hdmi2.1 . Hopefully more specs will come ..

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/4/21151509/xbox-series-x-ps5-specs-4k-8k-tv-hdmi

On 07/08/2020 at 11:59 AM, franin said:

I wouldn’t, because JVC won’t have the processing power that Madvr will have. Though it will be interesting to see what JVC brings to the table. 

DTM  in itself actually doesn't require  huge amounts of processing power......the FPGA used in the NX series projectors does have the capacity for expansion with DTM.......what is more important is just what parameters JVC give the end user to "customise" the DTM to suit their own personal setup........judging by the teaser, they may just do that.

madVR,s strength comes from its   DTM     "Extra,s ...."Enhancements"  ( HSTM , Highlight Recovery, Contrast Recovery, Shadow Recovery)  and its phenomenal up-Scaling....this is where the immense processing power of the GPU is needed.

If JVC have listened  and observed, then i think N series users will be smiling after the update is released...?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

DTM  in itself actually doesn't require  huge amounts of processing power......the FPGA used in the NX series projectors does have the capacity for expansion with DTM.......what is more important is just what parameters JVC give the end user to "customise" the DTM to suit their own personal setup........judging by the teaser, they may just do that.

madVR,s strength comes from its   DTM     "Extra,s ...."Enhancements"  ( HSTM , Highlight Recovery, Contrast Recovery, Shadow Recovery)  and its phenomenal up-Scaling....this is where the immense processing power of the GPU is needed.

If JVC have listened  and observed, then i think N series users will be smiling after the update is released...?

certainly looking forward to what they cook up, if i remember reading somewhere the update isnt going to be out till october (perhaps wrong on the month) but anyways appears some time before comes out... so plenty of time to listen and test no doubt .... have my hopes up :D 

ps folks some stunning real world scenery shot if want to treat yourself to some nice imagery on the D-Day uhd blu-ray disc. extremely short 40min only and a ***** mix or CGI and animation, studio and stills but what is real shot looks stunning ! its via 65-70 mm film i beleive 

just looking at the tech specs... I can see why now ! thrown some tech at this ! 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3635920/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

55 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Going by what Mike has been saying looks like there will be customization. 

Regarding Madvr I didn’t realise it had other strengths. I thought it was all based on DTM.  Seems impressive on what’s its able to do.  

55 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

100%, DTM is the guts of all of it and it in itself would make it even more awesome. All the extras can live without although the up-scalling is amazing...

More importantly it will put JVC so far ahead that the other players will have to come to the party and in turn everyone will have to up their game, which will result in better quality/value products for us all to enjoy :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, franin said:

Going by what Mike has been saying looks like there will be customization. 

Regarding Madvr I didn’t realise it had other strengths. I thought it was all based on DTM.  Seems impressive on what’s its able to do.  

DTM is only a "small" aspect of madVR.?

More important to me is the up scaling / down scaling ....madVR with a high end GPU will scale 1080P to levels that you WILL NOT tell it from native 4K material...its is that good!

madVR is the only avenue to apply some fantastic processing Algo,s to 4 K UHD...

There are MANY other great aspects to madVR...

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 8:59 PM, wooferocau said:

DTM is only a "small" aspect of madVR.?

More important to me is the up scaling / down scaling ....madVR with a high end GPU will scale 1080P to levels that you WILL NOT tell it from native 4K material...its is that good!

madVR is the only avenue to apply some fantastic processing Algo,s to 4 K UHD...

There are MANY other great aspects to madVR...

It will be interesting [ based on whats been mentioned so far ] woofer ; how many of these features will be able to run simultaneously ? The pro version envy processing chipset has this extra capability over the standard version iirc B|

The nice thing though is the deinterlacing scaling can be applied to set piece formats like SDR  and the DTM to UHD specifically . A nice value when its a 2 or 3 feature all in one box is the way to look at it :)

Its good to see the healthy competition with lumagen ; will be fascinating to see the comments @ avs  as things unfold ? 

Edited by cwt

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 8:45 PM, Hansel said:

Also did the light measurements, ended up with -10 for SDR and -4 for HDR not that  that means much I suppose. Quick question, is Cinema meant to be set to Wide in the HDR section?

Also should I also calibrate the HLG setting as it seems it’s set to auto switch to that when it detects HLG. I guess so hey ?

What's the lamp life on these generally?

I noticed things were a bit darker so I re-ran the calibration and had to go to -5 for SDR and Max for HDR (and it's still just under 30, at 28).  

I'm on 1000 hours apparently (thanks lockdown).

Just now, Hansel said:

I noticed things were a bit darker so I re-ran the calibration and had to go to -5 for SDR and Max for HDR (and it's still just under 30, at 28).  

Are they rated up to 4000 or something? Trying to recall.

On that note, interested to know if anyone's bought a replacement bulb yet - from where and how much?

Just now, cindernat said:

Are they rated up to 4000 or something? Trying to recall.

On that note, interested to know if anyone's bought a replacement bulb yet - from where and how much?

Could be, but doesn't look like I'm going to get near that at this rate.

I bought a spare when I bought the projector as they were a bit cheaper at the time, but it was still heaps (like $600 ish I think). Aren't they around $900 new? I did just find this which might be OK if we can reuse the housing - https://www.ozlamps.com.au/detail/23142/1/JVC/DLA-N7/0

38 minutes ago, Hansel said:

how big is screen and throw distance and are you running low or high lamp ? 

if pop over on avs, dominic sells the bare lamp there and can ship from canada and gets good reports :) 

45 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Could be, but doesn't look like I'm going to get near that at this rate.

I bought a spare when I bought the projector as they were a bit cheaper at the time, but it was still heaps (like $600 ish I think). Aren't they around $900 new? I did just find this which might be OK if we can reuse the housing - https://www.ozlamps.com.au/detail/23142/1/JVC/DLA-N7/0

yep 980rrp. Looks like the same bulb as the previous series too

https://www.ozlamps.com.au/detail/21344/1/JVC/DLA-X9900/0

vs

https://www.ozlamps.com.au/detail/23142/1/JVC/DLA-N7/0

Even 290$ is a joke for a bulb.

The N series must have a gold plated 4k housing ?

Epson bulbs complete with housing $139.. Something not quite right there.. Needs to be more competition.. 

I imagine a native 4k laser PJ from Epson would keep them honest. Has to happen at some point if they want to or not. pressure wins out in the end right?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

how big is screen and throw distance and are you running low or high lamp ? 

if pop over on avs, dominic sells the bare lamp there and can ship from canada and gets good reports :) 

Bulbs are made by phillips Al? 

1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Aren't they around $900 new

Yeah I was quoted $950 from where I bought my projector and that was a quoted last September let alone now.

32 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I'll check that out when the time comes, thanks BB.

Saw this just now when searching the part number:

https://www.ozlamps.com.au/detail.php?pid=23141/1/JVC/0/PK-L2618U/PK-L2618U/0

Edited by cindernat
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Bulbs are made by phillips Al? 

no idea oz....I have your original genuine article siting boxed up as spare so likely very very long time before I need one.

the ones dominic is selling are " Ushio NSHA250JK Bare Bulb" and he says

"Please note that the bare bulbs may be up to 25% less bright than the JVC brand bulbs. To maximize the brightness when changing bulbs, you should run the JVC Autocal to optimize the colour balance. An alternative is to set the Color Temp to High Bright, and reduce the R and B Gains to bring the colour temperature to D65."

joys of non genuine ! but yeah at a cost saving,

@Hansel also worth checking @muriwai source at inter light mentioned in thread below as beleive they are quite good for last gen JVC which is same as current gen lamp (just different housing i beleive) 

54 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

yep 980rrp. Looks like the same bulb as the previous series too

https://www.ozlamps.com.au/detail/21344/1/JVC/DLA-X9900/0

vs

https://www.ozlamps.com.au/detail/23142/1/JVC/DLA-N7/0

Even 290$ is a joke for a bulb.

The N series must have a gold plated 4k housing ?

Epson bulbs complete with housing $139.. Something not quite right there.. Needs to be more competition.. 

I imagine a native 4k laser PJ from Epson would keep them honest. Has to happen at some point if they want to or not. pressure wins out in the end right?

it could be bulbs are like valves... ie there are bulbs and bulbs ie how fall in spec. with valves I bought a set from very reputable seller on ebay. same brand and type as my amp came with installed and my amp has meter to check them and unfortunately all ebay bought ones

failed to measure up... barely borderline. checked with the maker... they straight came back to me they can supply through local agent. just contact them. ordered a set through them ... popped in the amp... wow bang on spec and with plenty of life ! 

yeah epson bring on the native 4k laser :) why not !