JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

With intermittent  issues this gets more difficult. Anyone can say I have random things happen but what happens if checked and neither issue or cause can be established.

Major or minor issues refers to when goods break down  after a period. When they are not functional at all in that they cannot be used for their intended purpose from day 1, then the customer is entitled to a full refund or exchange.  In this case, the  sale contract was not honoured by the seller in that they supplied defective goods.    The customer can agree to have it repaired of course but there are manufacturers who have a "repair first" policy and  will only comply with refund or exchange once being forced to.  Problem is , the dealer is caught in the middle.  

When it comes to projectors, we get pushed around way too much.  If  the level of faults that PJ owners have endured occurred on TV sets, there would be a public outcry and a lot of media attention.  

2 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Major or minor issues refers to when goods break down  after a period. When they are not functional at all in that they cannot be used for their intended purpose from day 1, then the customer is entitled to a full refund or exchange.  In this case, the  sale contract was not honoured by the seller in that they supplied defective goods.    The customer can agree to have it repaired of course but there are manufacturers who have a "repair first" policy and  will only comply with refund or exchange once being forced to.  Problem is , the dealer is caught in the middle.  

When it comes to projectors, we get pushed around way too much.  If  the level of faults that PJ owners have endured occurred on TV sets, there would be a public outcry and a lot of media attention.  

I agree Tasso. I wonder sometime why didn't I just buy a large TV

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tasso said:

still has to be established though doesnt it tasso. i had to take in a $25 plastic kettle my dad bought from HN thats lid would pop up while coming up to a boil and hence it woudl never come off boil just keep boiling and boiling... the lady insisted we plug it in and test with water to check the things lid indeed popped up... this is for a $25 plastic kettle :D  as ridiculous as what it all was I didnt frankly have a problem with it and do reckon retailers within their rights to check verify the issue actually work out what is going on ?

especially something as complex as a projector with all the interlinking and associated aspects of other gear media cables what not ... in many cases it can also be operator error... ive helped folk over years with gear... you wouldnt believe the kind of rookie errors you have thinking gee the thing is kurplunk.... when its just something have done... ive done it myself often enough. one setting hit by mistake or some such.

its all really easy to say oh on the blink ?  give me another when not in the retailers shoes themselves. I dont think personally they make that much in margin to be taking back to be just left holding the baby and then what they supposed to do with the thing ? there is a need for some due process. and as i mentioned if so aggrieved go report to ACCC takes a minute will soon find out first thing they tell you to do is due process...

and ps with DOA am not seeing repair first more case of verify first...am totally fine with verify. there are certainly some shonks that want to repair... but they are just shonks... 

19 minutes ago, betty boop said:

still has to be established though doesnt it tasso.

I think where a PJ  has a serious fault out of the box there is no question at all.    I would say that the only reason that a manufacturer hasn't given any exchanges or refunds is because they haven't been forced into a position to do so. Of course,  no one wants to go down that road  and that is what they rely on.

23 minutes ago, betty boop said:

dont think personally they make that much in margin

I would  not necessarily agree with that but in any event it is  not relevant to the manufacturers obligations nor should it be to consumers. 

27 minutes ago, betty boop said:

with DOA am not seeing repair first more case of verify first

What we are seeing is verify first, then repair.  It comes down to the same thing in that the only solution being offered is repair for units that don't work properly from the outset.

• Like 1

It's a very frustrating situation for all. JVC have to get any unit back to service centre so they can determine if the fault is minor and repairable or major and replaceable. 

Major usually comes down to the cost of the part.. So it's up to their management to determine. But above all that it seems Japan has the final word.. Then there's the delays and communication problems on top of that. 

11 hours ago, oztheatre said:

It's a very frustrating situation for all. JVC have to get any unit back to service centre so they can determine if the fault is minor and repairable or major and replaceable. 

Major usually comes down to the cost of the part.. So it's up to their management to determine. But above all that it seems Japan has the final word.. Then there's the delays and communication problems on top of that. 

having worked with japanese companies for years, one thing I can say they will be a stickler for process. if there is a process it has to be followed. They however also put customers pretty high on the list so if they can improve the process am sure they could consider. but while the process is what it is it will be the way it is. I am not sure japanese makers in a position right now to be handing out direct swaps willy nilly in any case, japan is in recession, things like expensive projectors be first thing gets hit as a luxury... they are small volumes anyways hardly like tellies that people seem to buy as throw away consumer items and top line sets i see going 2nd hand for 100s dollars...

12 hours ago, Tasso said:

I think where a PJ  has a serious fault out of the box there is no question at all.    I would say that the only reason that a manufacturer hasn't given any exchanges or refunds is because they haven't been forced into a position to do so. Of course,  no one wants to go down that road  and that is what they rely on.

in australia still... the manufacturer doesn't figure onus is on retailer one you have a contract of purchase with... the retailer will no doubt have to push back on the importer who has to push on the manufacturer... in any case as oz has outlined this is the process, and my understanding of consumer law, is that there is nothing there in breach of that. as said before if feel severely impinged just lodge with ACCC takes very few minutes...but they will just come back to you to follow due process.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

in any case as oz has outlined this is the process, and my understanding of consumer law, is that there is nothing there in breach of that. as said before if feel severely impinged just lodge with ACCC takes very few minutes...but they will just come back to you to follow due process.....

My understanding of consumer law gives more favourable consideration to the consumer rights  than yours does.    The retailers are directly liable for exchange or refund of the faulty goods even though they are not to blame for the problems.  The retailers only recourse with faulty goods returned to them  is to the manufacturer and it is the the manufacturers who use this leverage to dictate  retail exchange policy.     Remember we are  dealing with hard nosed multi-national businesses  who are  accustomed to pushing the envelope in potentially litigious  situations. 

The policy adopted by JVC and others appears that, other than in extreme cases of DOA, they have decided not to exchange projectors that are delivered with serious faults or develop  those faults  soon after.  Clearly there are cases mentioned here where exchanges or refunds would be available to consumers.   The problem in enforcing this is that the consumer must demand a replacement/refund from the dealer who then needs to push back on the manufacturer.  

Australia has  more extensive consumer protection laws than in the USA except that in the case of faulty goods  ( either delivered faulty or develop significant faults) USA law operates to make manufacturers  directly liable , not only the retailer as is the case in Australia.   This is what allows companies like JVC not to offer exchange or refunds in Australia  until they are forced to do so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tasso said:

My understanding of consumer law gives more favourable consideration to the consumer rights  than yours does.    The retailers are directly liable for exchange or refund of the faulty goods even though they are not to blame for the problems.  The retailers only recourse with faulty goods returned to them  is to the manufacturer and it is the the manufacturers who use this leverage to dictate  retail exchange policy.     Remember we are  dealing with hard nosed multi-national businesses  who are  accustomed to pushing the envelope in potentially litigious  situations. 

The policy adopted by JVC and others appears that, other than in extreme cases of DOA, they have decided not to exchange projectors that are delivered with serious faults or develop  those faults  soon after.  Clearly there are cases mentioned here where exchanges or refunds would be available to consumers.   The problem in enforcing this is that the consumer must demand a replacement/refund from the dealer who then needs to push back on the manufacturer.  

Australia has  more extensive consumer protection laws than in the USA except that in the case of faulty goods  ( either delivered faulty or develop significant faults) USA law operates to make manufacturers  directly liable , not only the retailer as is the case in Australia.   This is what allows companies like JVC not to offer exchange or refunds in Australia  until they are forced to do so.

Tasso I do understand consumer law pretty well, having had to study it working for some large multinationals and for application to australian consumer specifically. so  i'll leave it there. have said all need to say, nothing I say will change anything so there is no point going on and on about it. 

8 hours ago, betty boop said:

having worked with japanese companies for years, one thing I can say they will be a stickler for process. if there is a process it has to be followed. They however also put customers pretty high on the list so if they can improve the process am sure they could consider.

Many of us have worked with Japanese companies  and I can assure you that there are quite  different approaches taken among them  to the issue of repair/replace.   There is also quite a difference in terms of investment in service centres, training etc.  As an example, a tech told me he received outstanding technical support and assistance  from LG  for their electronics  , which he said  was markedly better than what was on offer from Panasonic. 

The Japanese do not care about their customers any more than Australians or Americans do and at the end of the day , they make up their own minds on how to save costs

Edited by Tasso

8 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Tasso I do understand consumer law pretty well, having had to study it working for some large multinationals and for application to australian consumer specifically. so  i'll leave it there. have said all need to say, nothing I say will change anything so there is no point going on and on about it. 

I have studied consumer law myself  in my professional capacity as well as having represented clients with the ACCC.   Yes there are problems involved but I think that in only highlighting those problems without offering solutions is not really helpful to  most people here - ie consumers.

On 16/05/2020 at 9:11 AM, interweb66 said:

Thanks for having a look.  While not quite that bad in person that photo really conveys what I am seeing in terms of a pure white centre and green tinge on the outside.

Any update on your issue?
Mine is still waiting on a response from Japan.

3 minutes ago, franin said:

How long have they been waiting to get a response ?

Not sure when the information was given to Japan but the projector has been with the service centre since the 11th. 
I took it down on the 4th to package it up as requested by JVC so this is the 4th week now. 

On 25/05/2020 at 1:29 PM, NapsterAU said:

Any update on your issue?
Mine is still waiting on a response from Japan.

Mine only went off to JVC yesterday, so now for the long wait.  Seeing yours also has uniformity issues I wonder if there is a bad batch, mine had a build date of 3/20, do you know what yours was?

edit: now arrived at JVC NSW, I guess I just twiddle my thumbs now.

Edited by interweb66

8 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

JVC staff are also still working remotely from their homes, so causing more delays than usual.

japan has only come out of emergency in last 24 hours.... businesses globally are still in quite disarray.... I shipped something week ago...it still sitting there to be shipped cleared for international shipping but just sitting there. auspost tells me it might take 30 days and to add 30+ days on top ! for what I was told in the shop might be 4-5 days ! I shudder to think what impact this is going to have on parts shipments that could have been just a week away in the past. I hope this current situation resolves and soon...

23 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I'm glad for this thread.

They'll be prising my JVC X7000 out of cold dead hands.

I picked up an x9900 myself to tide me over until these are sorted out.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wooferocau said:

They DONT..... 

But we could argue for the extra weeks you'd be without the unit, I don't think that would be a deal breaker for them. It's only fair.

It's not a huge deal I was just curious, current pandemic aside (can't blame anyone for delays caused here) they really do come across as anti-consumer.  I get they are following the letter of the law (even if there is debate around what is minor/major), but I have never dealt with a consumer electronics company that seemingly treats their customers this way, especially considering the price for these things.  I do find it especially odd as the Japanese are some of the nicest pro consumer people I have dealt with, when we were over there w just wanted to stay it's a completely different world.  Maybe it's a case of JVC Australia emailing rather than faxing them :).  I totally understand the b-stock dilemma but maybe it wouldn't hurt JVC Australia to have a few of these on hand to offer to customers as something they could use during the often lengthy repair process.  I am lucky that I still have my X5500, so it's not a huge concern for me and will just make me appreciate the stellar image the N7 puts out when it's resolved.

Edited by interweb66

There has been some discussion above regarding B stock projectors.

Am I correct in summarising that JVC do not get involved in B stock projectors because they would repair your faulty one?.

Except in the case of a major issue.

And once they repaired the one with a major issue does it find it self back in "New" JVC stock?

Is there  anything on the box to indicate it is B stock?

Really starts to make you think.