JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, poppybob said:

Have to agree with Al, it is a big investment so I would suggest more than 3 days research. I think most reviews I have read the Sony has been a go to also, but I think that would be the same if a reviewer was reviewing the SONY. As I see it SDR is very similar but the HDR image, with frame by frame adapt has been rated as the best by any projector to date. Having said that I’m sure SONY won’t sit on their bums too much longer and are as we speak moving along with their own tone mapping tech. Hopefully, we as the consumer, can also benefit from this with hopefully another firmware update??

SDR id take a previous gen jvc like 7900 or 9900 you had PB over the sony...they are THAT good ! this was my main problem going sony ...my previous e-shift JVC though only a 7000 did take quite a bit setting up but was VERY good ! bar set high :) 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, betty boop said:

SDR id take a previous gen jvc like 7900 or 9900 you had PB over the sony...they are THAT good ! this was my main problem going sony ...my previous e-shift JVC though only a 7000 did take quite a bit setting up but was VERY good ! bar set high :) 

Have to admit still missing blacks level from the previous 2 e-shift I’ve owned, but one thing I have learnt in the audio/video game over the last 30 years or so is the words, TRADE OFFS. 
The frame by frame adapt is a game changer. 

• Like 1

Hmm, okay.... I appreciate your opinions and will definitely look into the JVC. I plan on pairing the projector with a Panasonic UB9000 so i think it will really shine, my concern is the brightness especially on a woven screen which im getting... I will just have to find a show room with the JVC in it, 

Does anyone know of any around the sunshine coast/Brisbane area ?

Can drive hours if need be if it means putting my mind at ease

1 hour ago, Arny87 said:

Hmm, okay.... I appreciate your opinions and will definitely look into the JVC. I plan on pairing the projector with a Panasonic UB9000 so i think it will really shine, my concern is the brightness especially on a woven screen which im getting... I will just have to find a show room with the JVC in it, 

Does anyone know of any around the sunshine coast/Brisbane area ?

Can drive hours if need be if it means putting my mind at ease

oztheatre is out QLD way. if thinking screens be mad not talking to him in anycase.... he is a sony, epson, jvc dealer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

oztheatre is out QLD way. if thinking screens be mad not talking to him in anycase.... he is a sony, epson, jvc dealer.

Brightness wouldn’t be an issue with the N7 it’s rated higher than the SONY from memory. I did see the Sony before purchasing the N7 it did struggle at the dealer home cinema room, however in fairness it was a huge screen, 150 inch if I remember, mine is only 120 and I do use an anamorphic lens which squeezes a bit  more brightness from the pj. 
Although I live in Perth Rich from oztheatre has been very helpful sending me info and even samples of his material that he uses, a man with a lot of knowledge in regards to screens. 
Good luck with your purchase. 

• Like 1

Yea i will be having a 140 inch 16:9 screen

So o think the 1.16 gain woven will definitely be welcome over the .9 gaon o was originally looking at.

Was able to get a hold of Rich and hes only a couple hour drive from me so will be visiting him in the morning.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arny87 said:

Yea i will be having a 140 inch 16:9 screen

So o think the 1.16 gain woven will definitely be welcome over the .9 gaon o was originally looking at.

Was able to get a hold of Rich and hes only a couple hour drive from me so will be visiting him in the morning.

Suggest going anamorphic screen unless you are ok with black bars top and bottom.

on 16x9 material I pull curtains which flank my screen sides.

food for thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spizz said:

Looks like some specials going on atm for the N5 and N7 through various retailers-

N5- $6848

N7- $9199

N9- $21439

inc postage and CC fees.

Doing better than that again ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andy0217 said:

Never mind...just seen it, down to 32k...sorry folks brain is mush today...

Would this mean with JVC discounts that 2nd generation models are not too far away?

History tells me it shouldn’t be until later in the year around Septemberish?? However I can’t remember when the last time was that they kept the same model on for another year. 

4 hours ago, poppybob said:

History tells me it shouldn’t be until later in the year around Septemberish?? However I can’t remember when the last time was that they kept the same model on for another year. 

The current line up will run for at least 2 years so thru all of 2020. And yes Sept/Oct they may unveil updated models.. Though pretty certain they're concentrating on getting all the bugs out of these ones before they entertain the idea of a brand new model. 

They did run 2 years with the 5000-9000 series from memory, and it hurt their sales in that 2nd year.. So whilst there must be some pressure to update annually, it's sometimes pointless. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CCRider said:

Can anyone recommend a sturdy ceiling mount for my new n7?

my previous one is rated to max load 15kg. JVC load is approx 20kg.

theres only one crist :)

you want the peerless precision gear mount. the peerless PRG-UNV can get from either B&H shipped in days from us 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/525470-REG/Peerless_Industries_PRG_UNV_PRG_UNV_Precision_Gear_Projector.html

or locally from likes of oztheatre. @evil c might also have one spare 2nd hand one  :D 

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 6:53 PM, betty boop said:

if joker was pretty amazing,

if want to see some simply mind blowing visuals check out gemini man on uhd blu-ray folks, posted some taster screen shots in the little review thread posted below, I honestly do not know how it can get any better !!! absolutely absolutely utterly STUNNING ! on the jvc N7 :)

I watched this disc last night Al. You are right - reference material! 60FPS also wonderful. Pity not in Cinemascope though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

you want the peerless precision gear mount. the peerless PRG-UNV can get from either B&H shipped in days from us 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/525470-REG/Peerless_Industries_PRG_UNV_PRG_UNV_Precision_Gear_Projector.html

or locally from likes of oztheatre. @evil c might also have one spare 2nd hand one  :D 

+1 for the Peerless PRG-UNV. Sturdy, easily adjustable, and slide in/out of projector

• Like 2

17 hours ago, betty boop said:

Thanks AL

• Like 2

Have a query. I'm currently running a HD350 through an Aussiemorphic MK4 lens. Looking at upgrading to an N5 or N7 this year.

My possible issue is I'm running pretty much at the max for throw ratio to project onto a 145" scope screen, both on zoom and through the lens without vignetting.

I'm guessing that the N5/N7 has a larger diameter lens than my HD350.

Would you imagine that I may have issues projecting the same size image through the lens?

I definitely don't have the throw to be able to ditch the lens and zoom (not that i want to anyway!)

Thanks

49 minutes ago, roachy said:

Have a query. I'm currently running a HD350 through an Aussiemorphic MK4 lens. Looking at upgrading to an N5 or N7 this year.

My possible issue is I'm running pretty much at the max for throw ratio to project onto a 145" scope screen, both on zoom and through the lens without vignetting.

I'm guessing that the N5/N7 has a larger diameter lens than my HD350.

Would you imagine that I may have issues projecting the same size image through the lens?

I definitely don't have the throw to be able to ditch the lens and zoom (not that i want to anyway!)

Thanks

roach not using a lens so no idea, perhaps @oztheatre can help

note there is a calculator here not sure if helps

https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-NX5-projection-calculator-pro.htm

also jvc version

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_PRO.html

watched an absolute stunner with Terminator Dark fate, wrote a short review, movies got some lovely scenes.

JVC n7 really handles these very well from the night and dark scenes in shadows....something woudl have caught out previous projectors i suspect that were without the N7's dynamic tone mapping. Below scene is a stunner for detail, motion handling ! 

0I9A8200.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

watched an absolute stunner with Terminator Dark fate, wrote a short review, movies got some lovely scenes.

JVC n7 really handles these very well from the night and dark scenes in shadows....something woudl have caught out previous projectors i suspect that were without the N7's dynamic tone mapping. Below scene is a stunner for detail, motion handling ! 

0I9A8200.jpeg

Watched this the other night looks awesome. I still yet to see any issues with DTM on the JVC. I even watched Solo and that scene in the beginning where his in that room where it’s dark with that creature you can see everything so clear. The Sony laser struggled with that scene. 

• Like 2