JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

I just signed up for the 7 day trial of Apple TV+ on my 4K Apple TV and N7. Watched 2 episodes of For All Mankind last night. Was blown away by the video and audio. To my eyes and ears was probably the best quality of any streaming service so far. HDR and Dolby Atmos - wonderful, and the N7 shines. I encourage you to take look if you haven't already. For All Mankind is looking like a great series too - 1st episode slowly sets the stage, 2nd episode better - so stick with it.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, TrueRealist said:

I just signed up for the 7 day trial of Apple TV+ on my 4K Apple TV and N7. Watched 2 episodes of For All Mankind last night. Was blown away by the video and audio. To my eyes and ears was probably the best quality of any streaming service so far. HDR and Dolby Atmos - wonderful, and the N7 shines. I encourage you to take look if you haven't already. For All Mankind is looking like a great series too - 1st episode slowly sets the stage, 2nd episode better - so stick with it.

indeed one of few things i checked out. I understand some very high bit rates. and yep looking good :) definitely cut above. what impressed me is how well tone mapping works in what are many dark scenes. retaining detail, colours, punch and contrast to the overall picture :) thanks for reminder, must check out more on apple TV+ 

Wow watching scar face on uhd yesterday night. Goodness how fantastic does this old classic come up on the Jvc n series. The colours, detail and depth to the picture. Indeed some back ground noise given old source but great they haven’t DNR’d it  for wax faces ! New lease of life and great to watch on the N7 :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

Wow watching scar face on uhd yesterday night. Goodness how fantastic does this old classic come up on the Jvc n series. The colours, detail and depth to the picture. Indeed some back ground noise given old source but great they haven’t DNR’d it  for wax faces ! New lease of life and great to watch on the N7 :)

Thanks Al, will take a look. Was this on 4K disc or streamed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrueRealist said:

Thanks Al, will take a look. Was this on 4K disc or streamed.

Yeah I saw it sitting on the shelf at JB and was curious how it would look on uhd. Was a classic in the day. Probably wouldn’t let the grand kids watch it. 
you probably have watched it guys but watched the uhd of Moahana ( spelt wrong) with the g/kids man that was a great transfer. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Yeah I saw it sitting on the shelf at JB and was curious how it would look on uhd. Was a classic in the day. Probably wouldn’t let the grand kids watch it. 
you probably have watched it guys but watched the uhd of Moahana ( spelt wrong) with the g/kids man that was a great transfer. 

indeed Moana is very good ...not seen the uhd though, just 3D on the n7 and was a stunning thing ! :) 

On 10/01/2020 at 11:58 AM, Jimval said:

Does Sound  & Image should have a Gong for Worst Warranty Support of the Year?

Update on my faulty N7:

4 weeks later, JVC KENWOOD have done absolutely nothing, not lifted a finger, not done anything, have not even replied to the authorised service centre who have asked for assistance regarding the error codes they have pulled out of my machine.

It has been sitting in the workshop, untouched all this time.

The JVC KENWOOD excuse is, the Service Manager is on leave.

Normally you would expect a handover of duties to someone else in such an instance.  The business doesn't just stop.

It's what you would expect from any professional organisation, let alone a global brand like JVC.

So, heads up...JVC KENWOOD Warranty support effectively shuts down if their Service Manager is away.

Just wondering if the guys waiting on the JVC service manager to review their cases have had any luck this week?

JB sales are going on and grabbed the joker on UHD...and comes up an absolute treat on the jvc N7 guys...not sure if checked out but if havent do so ! popped some screen shots in the thread below as  taster :) 

if joker was pretty amazing,

if want to see some simply mind blowing visuals check out gemini man on uhd blu-ray folks, posted some taster screen shots in the little review thread posted below, I honestly do not know how it can get any better !!! absolutely absolutely utterly STUNNING ! on the jvc N7 :)

• Like 2

On 23/01/2020 at 10:43 AM, Squidjammer said:

Just wondering if the guys waiting on the JVC service manager to review their cases have had any luck this week?

No luck as yet for me I'm afraid.

I contacted JVC KENWOOD a week ago regarding the status of my faulty N7.

I was told they contacted JVC Japan, Monday last week regarding my unit.

It is now approaching 7 weeks since I took it in for repair, so I am hoping for at least some sort of news, any news, from JVC KENWOOD this week.

Fortunately I picked up one of the last, new 77" LG OLED C9's to play with from JB Hifi at a great price, to keep my mind off the dangling cables from the ceiling of my media room.

yours is an interesting situation (obviously not for you). i was about to suggest just getting a full refund via your consumer rights but i see you bought it and was told jvc had issues, then didnt use it for months.

so what i suggest is you keep all paperwork relevant to the repair as the time in for repair is added to warranty time.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2020 at 6:53 PM, betty boop said:

if joker was pretty amazing,

if want to see some simply mind blowing visuals check out gemini man on uhd blu-ray folks, posted some taster screen shots in the little review thread posted below, I honestly do not know how it can get any better !!! absolutely absolutely utterly STUNNING ! on the jvc N7 :)

Watched it last night. Wow. Almost too sharp. 

• Like 1

I'm picking this up tomorrow Al, should be interesting to see on my Epson. 

Sounds like your JVC lens is a beauty. Will be interesting to see how and if they can improve on the lens in future models.

The fact they speak about hand picked parts, I'm guessing lenses and chip sets and optical blocks. That whole idea shouldn't even exist. At these prices, there should be no more than 1% difference between parts and no convergence issues whatsoever. A change of courier is desperately needed too. Cope are the best with fragile goods. Been using them for about 10 years now and never have a problem aside from the odd delay.

Dead pixel policies should be 1 pixel too. I think Samsung have a 1 pixel policy. And 1 pixel on a projector looks 3-7 times larger too so no dead pixels would be ideal. Though I haven't heard of any dead pixels on either the epson or new jvc series.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poppybob said:

Watched it last night. Wow. Almost too sharp. 

gemini man sure is a stunner on the n7 ! :)

7 hours ago, oztheatre said:

I'm picking this up tomorrow Al, should be interesting to see on my Epson. 

be interesting how goes :) the 9400 has the 18gbps chip so should get benefit :) if picking up gemini man, might want to grab joker as well...another stunner :) 

7 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Sounds like your JVC lens is a beauty. Will be interesting to see how and if they can improve on the lens in future models.

pretty happy here with the n7 oz, every projector i've had i wonder gee can it get any better and sure as hell they improve on them somehow ....so who knows ! :D 

9 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

yours is an interesting situation (obviously not for you). i was about to suggest just getting a full refund via your consumer rights but i see you bought it and was told jvc had issues, then didnt use it for months.

so what i suggest is you keep all paperwork relevant to the repair as the time in for repair is added to warranty time.

I have no issues with the N7 & still don’t.

I was more than happy to purchase it knowing that the quirks will be ironed out mostly if  not completely by firmware updates.

It worked great for several hundred hours throwing up some awesome images before it failed, so it’s not a DOA unit anyway. This can happen to any latest piece of tech. It’s not specific to the N7.

I am not looking for a refund. I am looking for a working N7 under my ceiling so my family can enjoy watching some flicks.

It’s the very poor JVC KENWOOD support I have issues with, not the N7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimval said:

I have no issues with the N7 & still don’t.

I was more than happy to purchase it knowing that the quirks will be ironed out mostly if  not completely by firmware updates.

It worked great for several hundred hours throwing up some awesome images before it failed, so it’s not a DOA unit anyway. This can happen to any latest piece of tech. It’s not specific to the N7.

I am not looking for a refund. I am looking for a working N7 under my ceiling so my family can enjoy watching some flicks.

It’s the very poor JVC KENWOOD support I have issues with, not the N7.

Jim, from jvc this morning:

the unit required a board that needed to be ordered in from Japan (generally 3-4 weeks), we managed to arrange a priority shipment of this part last week and stock arrived on Tuesday. It is currently with Westview being fitted and having further testing on the unit to ensure it has resolved the symptoms displayed. Depending on the outcome of the testing the unit could be ready by the end of the week or early next week.

_____

why 3-4 weeks for an airbag from Japan? That cannot be right. They would have stock of these boards on the shelf. So 7 days tops from inquiry to order to dispatch and arrival right? Anyway we're getting some progress now. I would suggest calling westview to verify and get an update. Or I can if you prefer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Jim, from jvc this morning:

the unit required a board that needed to be ordered in from Japan (generally 3-4 weeks), we managed to arrange a priority shipment of this part last week and stock arrived on Tuesday. It is currently with Westview being fitted and having further testing on the unit to ensure it has resolved the symptoms displayed. Depending on the outcome of the testing the unit could be ready by the end of the week or early next week.

_____

why 3-4 weeks for an airbag from Japan? That cannot be right. They would have stock of these boards on the shelf. So 7 days tops from inquiry to order to dispatch and arrival right? Anyway we're getting some progress now. I would suggest calling westview to verify and get an update. Or I can if you prefer.

Thanks Rich.

Much appreciated and no need to contact Westview.

I contacted them today and they confirmed they have received the DD board from JVC KENWOOD.

They are now waiting on JVC Japan to send them the correct firmware for the DD board.

Board replacement is consistent with what the manual states regarding the flashing of the left & middle leds on the unit.

I.e. a board error(s)

I hazard a guess another 3-4 weeks of me whining to JVC KENWOOD would have been too much for them, thus the priority shipping to get me off their back.

cheers

Jim

Gah, so many mixed feelings, finally caught up with reading, Reading this thread made it harder cant make up my mind. Building my first house and setting up a theatre room, speakers and AMP sorted but im stuck between the sony 570es and JVC N7

Leaning towards the Sony at this stage.

Gah

18 minutes ago, Arny87 said:

Gah, so many mixed feelings, finally caught up with reading, Reading this thread made it harder cant make up my mind. Building my first house and setting up a theatre room, speakers and AMP sorted but im stuck between the sony 570es and JVC N7

Gah

18 minutes ago, Arny87 said:

Gah

Hhmmm. From what I’ve seen the N7 has a superior picture compared to the Sony. I am really feeling the frustration from Jim, have had similar issues in the past with assorted kit. I don’t see any evidence anywhere that Sony would be doing it better than JVC. 

From what I can tell they both excel in different areas, colours abd picture goes to the sony..... while black levels go to JVC

From 3 days research I've come to this conclusion

34 minutes ago, Arny87 said:

From what I can tell they both excel in different areas, colours abd picture goes to the sony..... while black levels go to JVC

If you've narrowed it down to those 2 projectors [ and considered a cheaper alternative that may be an e-shift model] and you envisage playing lots of uhd blurays or streaming uhd  hdr with dd+ the N7 has superior frame/scene by scene HDR . All other models are static metadata only :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arny87 said:

the sony might have been an option vs n7 at one stage, heck i even considered one in early days of n7. definitely they are both comparable

however I can say without a shadow of doubt the n7 would kill it dead today. even with THE most basic setup. what 570es lacks is a few things, yep contrast is one. no way colour and picture does the sony excel.  a BIG one is JVCs dynamic tone mapping.  fantastic for folks not going to invest in a htpc or mad vr envy at 1000s on top of it. and this is across multiple source. sony need to giddy up and match this or its a very easy choice.....the sony is more expensive too so that even doesnt help its equation !

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

the sony might have been an option vs n7 at one stage, heck i even considered one in early days of n7. definitely they are both comparable

however I can say without a shadow of doubt the n7 would kill it dead today. even with THE most basic setup. what 570es lacks is a few things, yep contrast is one. no way colour and picture does the sony excel.  a BIG one is JVCs dynamic tone mapping.  fantastic for folks not going to invest in a htpc or mad vr envy at 1000s on top of it. and this is across multiple source. sony need to giddy up and match this or its a very easy choice.....the sony is more expensive too so that even doesnt help its equation !

Have to agree with Al, it is a big investment so I would suggest more than 3 days research. I think most reviews I have read the Sony has been a go to also, but I think that would be the same if a reviewer was reviewing the SONY. As I see it SDR is very similar but the HDR image, with frame by frame adapt has been rated as the best by any projector to date. Having said that I’m sure SONY won’t sit on their bums too much longer and are as we speak moving along with their own tone mapping tech. Hopefully, we as the consumer, can also benefit from this with hopefully another firmware update??

• Like 1