JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

18 minutes ago, betty boop said:

thats a great price jim ! where from ? seems a great insurance policy. 

Al,

Just a simple search on ebay did it. There are a few resellers that have it and this one was the cheapest I found (on ebay anyway).

I purchased it last night and it included a $5 ebay discount which took it down from $335 to $330.

Not sure if the discount still applies today though.

Some very positive reviews on there too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CyberPower-1500VA-UPS-Uninterruptible-Power-Supply-6-way-outlet-Surge-Protector/272617418621?epid=14032257361&hash=item3f7943af7d:g:75kAAOSwiONYLTON:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!2250!AU!-1

cheers

Jim

Edited by Jimval
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Jim,

Does it have the US or Aussie sockets? Have all US plugs in my system to go into an old PS Audio Power director I am still using.

Regards Bob.

Bob,

The auction did state “Australian Stock” with a photo of the rear with 240VAC sockets.

Sounds like you need to buy a a US version (US eBay?) for its US sockets and find out if it’s a simple mod to make it run on 240VAC which I assume it would be.

Cheers

Jim

9 minutes ago, Jimval said:

Bob,

The auction did state “Australian Stock” with a photo of the rear with 240VAC sockets.

Sounds like you need to buy a a US version (US eBay?) for its US sockets and find out if it’s a simple mod to make it run on 240VAC which I assume it would be.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I am also assuming it should be a simple mod, if any at all.

After reading and youtubing some of the reviews it is almost a shame you cant watch a full movie running the projector with the batteries with what it does to the sine waves compared to what we get from the wall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

folks, if want some absolutely STUNNING 3D experience check out Moana 3D blu-ray. We watched the blu-ray of this some years ago., saw the 3D version come out and grabbed it some while ago. daughter saw it and wanted to watch in 3D today. and what a great experience on the jvc n7. its like this movie was made for 3D ... right from the opening where to all the way through even with the credits rolling.

So so well done and comes up amazingly rendered in 3D. crystal clear and fantastic depth to picture. and some wonderfull colours and textures all way through :)  

Sure is a good transfer, watched it Sunday night with my grandson, TWICE.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, poppybob said:

Sure is a good transfer, watched it Sunday night with my grandson, TWICE.

Another fantastic transfer is below pictured Al, not a fan of these normally but with JB having 30% off all discs run out of movies that I don’t already have and was very impressed with both video transfer on the N7 and the soundtrack was fantastic. 

3C02FE80-5875-4282-B245-449BF182AA41.jpeg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Another fantastic transfer is below pictured Al, not a fan of these normally but with JB having 30% off all discs run out of movies that I don’t already have and was very impressed with both video transfer on the N7 and the soundtrack was fantastic. 

3C02FE80-5875-4282-B245-449BF182AA41.jpeg

thanks PB, will be sure to check out, daughter has been asking about the original fantastic beasts. so this could be a good two up :) 

• Haha 1

On 31/12/2019 at 8:07 PM, betty boop said:

thats a great price jim ! where from ? seems a great insurance policy. 

Al,

Hopefully you haven’t purchased the UPS yet because it’s just come on sale at umart for only $318!

Looks like I paid overs ? 

https://www.umart.com.au/CyberPower-PFC-Sinewave-Series-1500VA-900W--10A--Tower-UPS-with-LCD-and-6-x-AU-Outlets_44584G.html

cheers

Jim

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2020 at 11:35 PM, Jimval said:

Al,

Hopefully you haven’t purchased the UPS yet because it’s just come on sale at umart for only $318!

Looks like I paid overs ? 

https://www.umart.com.au/CyberPower-PFC-Sinewave-Series-1500VA-900W--10A--Tower-UPS-with-LCD-and-6-x-AU-Outlets_44584G.html

cheers

Jim

Another good watch on this pj

0B0BABEB-E1E4-407C-8424-953038B733A0.jpeg

946846E3-43AD-4218-A324-19EEBBE45A6E.jpeg

B9422D36-CC66-4003-B95F-D61BE9198CF0.jpeg

2E1D61C2-85F2-4853-8443-B88311DBB3B1.jpeg

• Love 1

Just watched this review, interesting to see the side by side of 3 very different projectors. 

No idea if these are respected reviewers or not, just some random youtube viewing. I believe the N7 is pre firmware update so would perform slightly better than shown in the video.

hi JB, we have seen this one before, not sure i get this side by side business. you really want to see these full screen ! I dont get his uncalibrated comparisons ! at all. while epson can achieve some whacko outputs... its colour also tends to go whacko along with that...ie very far from anything calibrated

and JVC update recently is not a "slightly better" it is a major deal. infact to point i wouldnt have bothered even looking at video above comparing UHD and HDR unless using the new frame adapt HDR. it really is such a step up.

goodness knows what is going on with the optoma with the colour cast...quite obvious ! some scenes eg the guardians shot it actually looks sepia ! you also have to see the optoma in person. two standouts...one if even mildly susceptible to DLP rainbows... these are rainbow city. i have not seen such BAD rainbows from DLP for we are talking in decades.... also a huge set back with DLP if see in person and swap to jvc is contrast. it is that bad on the DLP....the video does mention it... something they are doing with laser it really lacks in the contrast. seeing in person full screen it very obvious.

i particularly dont like the little windows being used for uhd detail. these have to be seen full screen, and from main viewing distance to decide for self. this is where eshift does loose out even previous gen jvc not just epson - note previous gen jvc doesnt have the problems of moire and screen door the epson has. its not only detail its clarity, stability and calmness to the picture. overall with the native panels on the newer gen jvc. i wouldnt worry too much re screen door on the epson though back from seated position im pretty sure unless doing a silly big screen this wont be visible. 

i also will say again as have said prior. no idea at all what is going on with the reviewers source when comes to blu-ray. I have never ever seen the kind of stair stepping or jaggies or anything like that from blu-ray on the jvc. if scroll back this thread will see the wonderfull pics am seeing and off both oppo and pana source for blu-ray. 

my suggestion go check out in person if have some material want to watch and knock self out :) these comparisons especially on little screens via YouTube and its compressions are really no comparison to in person

• Love 1

JVC N9 gets Sound and vision magazines top pick of the year...

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/2019-top-picks-year-top-pick-year

JVC DLA-NX9 D-ILA Projector
(October/November) Read Review

With flat-panel LCD and OLED TVs steadily increasing in size, the performance of home theater projectors has come under greater scrutiny. And the situation has been exacerbated by the arrival of 4K/HDR, which puts even greater pressure on models to deliver satisfying brightness and contrast while applying "tone mapping" to match the extended blacks and white highlight detail contained in HDR sources with the projector's native capabilities. Simply put, we expect projectors—especially premium models—to become more flat-panel-like in their performance, particularly when handling HDR.

At $18,000, JVC's latest flagship, the DLA-NX9, isn't a casual purchase, but it offers a level of performance that discerning videophiles would expect from a high-end projector. With new native 4K D-ILA imaging panels, improved video processing, and the same all-glass lens found in the company's previous $25,000 flagship RS4500 model, the DLA-NX9 arrives ready to impress. It features a BT2020 profile setting that in our testing provided full coverage of the P3 color gamut within the 2020 color space, and a third-generation D-ILA imaging chip that delivered native contrast in the 27,000 to 30,000:1 range—a nearly three times improvement over the RS4500. The 28 footlamberts calibrated light output it delivered for HDR viewing, meanwhile, is in-line with the high-end competition and perfectly acceptable for dark room theater viewing.

Along with its excellent general video performance, the DLA-NX9 features an Auto Tone Mapping mode that our reviewer, Kris Deering, found to provide a "plug and play experience when watching HDR," something it manages by automatically adjusting the tone map based on the MaxCLL (maximum level of a single pixel) and MaxFALL (maximum frame average light level) indicated in the metadata HDR programs contain. A few months after he tested the DLA-NX9, JVC released a major firmware update that added dynamic tone mapping to the projector. That feature, also reviewed by Kris on soundandvision.com, allows the projector to adjust the tone map of HDR programs on a frame-by-frame or scene-by-scene basis, with both modes doing a "much better job in matching the projector's existing dynamic range to the video being displayed."

How did the new feature improve the look of Ultra HD movies displayed by the DLA-NX9, which already looked great to being with? The change, according to Kris, is "not subtle." He continued, "Scenes that previously looked dreary and dynamically truncated come alive with better shadow detail and color vibrancy. Highlights stand out and give the HDR image a greater sense of pop." Of course, an $18,000 projector designed for dark room viewing won't be for everyone. But as Sound &Vision's overall Top Pick for 2019, it successfully proves that consumer-grade projectors can deliver a truly high-performance 4K/HDR experience at home. $18,000,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

JVC N9 gets Sound and vision magazines top pick of the year...

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/2019-top-picks-year-top-pick-year

With flat-panel LCD and OLED TVs steadily increasing in size, the performance of home theater projectors has come under greater scrutiny. And the situation has been exacerbated by the arrival of 4K/HDR, which puts even greater pressure on models to deliver satisfying brightness and contrast while applying "tone mapping" to match the extended blacks and white highlight detail contained in HDR sources with the projector's native capabilities. Simply put, we expect projectors—especially premium models—to become more flat-panel-like in their performance, particularly when handling HDR.

At $18,000, JVC's latest flagship, the DLA-NX9, isn't a casual purchase, but it offers a level of performance that discerning videophiles would expect from a high-end projector. With new native 4K D-ILA imaging panels, improved video processing, and the same all-glass lens found in the company's previous $25,000 flagship RS4500 model, the DLA-NX9 arrives ready to impress. It features a BT2020 profile setting that in our testing provided full coverage of the P3 color gamut within the 2020 color space, and a third-generation D-ILA imaging chip that delivered native contrast in the 27,000 to 30,000:1 range—a nearly three times improvement over the RS4500. The 28 footlamberts calibrated light output it delivered for HDR viewing, meanwhile, is in-line with the high-end competition and perfectly acceptable for dark room theater viewing.

Along with its excellent general video performance, the DLA-NX9 features an Auto Tone Mapping mode that our reviewer, Kris Deering, found to provide a "plug and play experience when watching HDR," something it manages by automatically adjusting the tone map based on the MaxCLL (maximum level of a single pixel) and MaxFALL (maximum frame average light level) indicated in the metadata HDR programs contain. A few months after he tested the DLA-NX9, JVC released a major firmware update that added dynamic tone mapping to the projector. That feature, also reviewed by Kris on soundandvision.com, allows the projector to adjust the tone map of HDR programs on a frame-by-frame or scene-by-scene basis, with both modes doing a "much better job in matching the projector's existing dynamic range to the video being displayed."

How did the new feature improve the look of Ultra HD movies displayed by the DLA-NX9, which already looked great to being with? The change, according to Kris, is "not subtle." He continued, "Scenes that previously looked dreary and dynamically truncated come alive with better shadow detail and color vibrancy. Highlights stand out and give the HDR image a greater sense of pop." Of course, an $18,000 projector designed for dark room viewing won't be for everyone. But as Sound &Vision's overall Top Pick for 2019, it successfully proves that consumer-grade projectors can deliver a truly high-performance 4K/HDR experience at home. $18,000,

Would love to see one. A bit scared though. Great ?? review. 

• Like 1

Does Sound  & Image should have a Gong for Worst Warranty Support of the Year?

Update on my faulty N7:

4 weeks later, JVC KENWOOD have done absolutely nothing, not lifted a finger, not done anything, have not even replied to the authorised service centre who have asked for assistance regarding the error codes they have pulled out of my machine.

It has been sitting in the workshop, untouched all this time.

The JVC KENWOOD excuse is, the Service Manager is on leave.

Normally you would expect a handover of duties to someone else in such an instance.  The business doesn't just stop.

It's what you would expect from any professional organisation, let alone a global brand like JVC.

So, heads up...JVC KENWOOD Warranty support effectively shuts down if their Service Manager is away.

42 minutes ago, Jimval said:

Update on my faulty N7:

4 weeks later, JVC KENWOOD have done absolutely nothing, not lifted a finger, not done anything, have not even replied to the authorised service centre who have asked for assistance regarding the error codes they have pulled out of my machine.

Normally you would expect a handover of duties to someone else in such an instance.  The business doesn't just stop.

It's what you would expect from any professional organisation, let alone a global brand like JVC.

So, heads up...JVC KENWOOD Warranty support effectively shuts down if their Service Manager is away.

Doesn't sound good.  My Nx-9 must be just sitting there next to yours as well then.  I understand that it's new year and all that but as you said I would expect some form of handover of duties to someone else.  Brand new $20000+ projector, I didn't even get to see a single picture and not working is disappointing to begin with and now it seems that the waiting will be long... Not very impressed..  Should have bought Sony I guess.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2020 at 12:01 PM, poppybob said:

Would love to see one. A bit scared though. Great ?? review. 

I take it from that review that is on the old firmware? I thought the new N models got a dynamic / frame adaptive tone mapping, and the old Z1 just got the more static auto tone mapping.

That said, the above support issues mentioned are pretty concerning. JVC in general doesn't seem like that big an organization though do then, not just Australia. They don't make much.

Edited by Mobe1969

7 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I take it from that review that is on the old firmware? I thought the new N models got a dynamic / frame adaptive tone mapping, and the old Z1 just got the more static auto tone mapping.

hi mobe review was on n9 which like other n series does have the dynamic tone mapping.

in the review below, all text in review in purple relates to the dynamic tone mapping, indeed yes the Z1 onset come with the feature.

On 04/01/2020 at 11:57 AM, betty boop said:

3 hours ago, Jimval said:

That's the trouble with magazine reviews ;each mag or blog reviewer gets the review machine for a limited time so theres no chance of judging things like long term reliability  . This is compounded somewhat by the leeway timewise articles need to be printed and edited so you get additions later like Kris Deerings edits on important features like scene by scene bitmapping ?

Thanks for keeping us up to date ; you are giving fair warning ; maybe they should publish the managers holiday schedule as a service to customers ; to borrow a phrase they might use  ;  "the computer says no" :/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cwt said:

That's the trouble with magazine reviews ;each mag or blog reviewer gets the review machine for a limited time so theres no chance of judging things like long term reliability  . This is compounded somewhat by the leeway timewise articles need to be printed and edited so you get additions later like Kris Deerings edits on important features like scene by scene bitmapping ?

hi cwt, as a heads up am pretty sure Kris actually has a N9 he runs full time, I havent seen him post anything re reliability or unreliability. ... no idea if jvc listens to him, but he has made it clear sony certainly dont.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, otagomed said:

Doesn't sound good.  My Nx-9 must be just sitting there next to yours as well then.  I understand that it's new year and all that but as you said I would expect some form of handover of duties to someone else.  Brand new $20000+ projector, I didn't even get to see a single picture and not working is disappointing to begin with and now it seems that the waiting will be long... Not very impressed..  Should have bought Sony I guess.

JVC KENWOOD informed me the Service Manager returns from leave on the 20th January, so I think you can work from that date moving forward.

Edited by Jimval

Hi Al ; no nothing to do with Kris's meticulous commentary just the time lag that exists between the reviewer and the eventual publication a number of months later as I once read . The mag just doesn't have the review machine long enough to determine reliability so they never mention it :)

10 minutes ago, cwt said:

Hi Al ; no nothing to do with Kris's meticulous commentary just the time lag that exists between the reviewer and the eventual publication a number of months later as I once read . The mag just doesn't have the review machine long enough to determine reliability so they never mention it :)

its something i found with all projectors this generation around cwt....took an ABSOLUTE eternity for reviews... agree e short term reviews.... one likes of kris do... or for matter the avforums guys do is far better ...as tend to do over course of months :) ie more long term. short term ones ..usually more in the initial impressions or at face value. though appreciate some do deep dive and go quite in-depth. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, otagomed said:

The machine’s software writes to a log every time any kind of event that the software engineer deems worthy to be logged including all relevant diagnostic information and it is almost always date & time stamped.

The logs will clearly show that your unit has never operated successfully & thus it is a DOA unit, irrespective if you had it sitting in a box for months before you used it.

JVC KENWOOD cannot dispute it either because the logs are evidence that the machine never worked.

You have every right under Australian Consumer Law to request another brand new unit assuming you still want another NX-9.

This is a cost JVC KENWOOD has to bear, not your supplier, but you cannot make the request for a new machine directly to JVC KENWOOD.

It must be through your supplier.

If I were you, I would not be having to wait for your DOA unit to be repaired.

You paid for a brand new working machine, not for a repaired or “refurbished” unit which is what you will end up with.

My situation is a little different. The logs showed that my unit worked fine for 50 days. I.e. from the time it turned on for the 1st time. In fact I ran it every night & I’m sure I’ve run it for 200-300 hours before it failed.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, Jimval said:

Al,

Just a simple search on ebay did it. There are a few resellers that have it and this one was the cheapest I found (on ebay anyway).

I purchased it last night and it included a $5 ebay discount which took it down from $335 to $330.

Not sure if the discount still applies today though.

Some very positive reviews on there too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CyberPower-1500VA-UPS-Uninterruptible-Power-Supply-6-way-outlet-Surge-Protector/272617418621?epid=14032257361&hash=item3f7943af7d:g:75kAAOSwiONYLTON:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!2250!AU!-1

cheers

Jim

My UPS was put to the test last night. We had a 45 minute area-wide power blackout. I was a few minutes into watching Treadstone on the N7 when it happened. It was a bit surreal when everything went silent and dark except for the projector, and the UPS which began emitting its warning beep indicating it was now running on battery. I powered down the N7, letting the fan cool the lamp normally. So The UPS has already proven its worth to me! ?

• Like 3

On 10/01/2020 at 12:28 PM, Jimval said:

Update on my faulty N7:

I’ll be honest with you. I think it’s time we started complaining to JVC in Japan and have these muppets get a job they deserve...like flipping burgers in McDonalds. Dreadful support here. 

• Like 1