JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Jimval said:

Well, after months sitting new in its box I finally got around to setting up my HT/Media Room with the JVC-N7 firmware upgraded to 2.10, ceiling mounted, projecting onto a 120” screen courtesy of Rich & have been enjoying its wonderful jaw-dropping images from my Pana 9000 4K BR player the last couple of months.

Until today.

Not long after power-up this morning, the green standby led changed to red with the 2 left-most leds flashing red.

I have not had an image this morning whatsoever.

Tried powering down & up, disconnecting hdmi cables etc but to no avail.

It’s the dreaded, 2 red flashing & 1 steady red. I am yet to see any kind of image on my screen.

I knew on purchase that these JVC PJs had flaky reliability from info on this thread but I assumed it would all be sorted eventually with firmware updates.

I was obviously wrong.

What pisses me off more than anything is the timing. Heading into XMAS holidays for a few weeks & my family & I were looking forward to a couple of weeks of movie binging.

Now I suspect I will have to take the damn thing down, take it to JVC at Nth Ryde which fortunately is 10mins from work, but likely not see it working again until I presume late January, well after the XMAS/NY holidays.

Many thanks to JVC-KENWOOD for ruining my family’s holiday break.

Hoping someone has any suggestions to kick start this box, else it’s off to JVC KENWOOD & tell them what a wonderful product they have here.

Did you check the LED light activity against the table on pg 84 of the Instruction manual? It seems to provide pretty good clues to aid in diagnosis.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jimval said:

Here’s an (only iPhone 6s) shot of the lamp I pulled out of my N7.

Probably need to zoom in on the filament to get a better look.

Black in colour but thought it looked ok.

65DA247D-B956-471F-9BC3-FE7AEDD717A3.jpeg

Just for your reference...here are a couple of pics form the lamp after approx 150hrs... ( NX9 , same lamp though) 

DSC_0065w.jpg

DSC_0069w.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TrueRealist said:

Did you check the LED light activity against the table on pg 84 of the Instruction manual? It seems to provide pretty good clues to aid in diagnosis.  Just a thought.

Sure did & it was the first thing I looked at.

I have nothing blocking the air vents as it hasn’t moved from the ceiling of course & my reverse cycle air con is only a few hundred mm behind the rear of the N7 which automatically turns on with it through my Harmony One remote so the N7 is always under cool conditions & never gets hot.

The manual tells me the flashing leds suggests board error(s).

I hazard a guess it’s likely a software issue &  other than the inconvenience, I’m hoping is an easy fix.

ED13B6B8-1B08-49F7-AF3B-D12949098118.png

Try this....  unplug ALL cables from the unit bar th epower cord.

Power on the unit.

When you get the flashing LED errors , go to the rear of the PJ and hold down the power button on th ekeypad till th eprojectors powers down.

Wait 5 min then try powering on again , still with no cables connected.

Excuse my above spelling   ?  trying to type with one finger and eat cheescake with th eother hand doesnt bode well for spelling... :D

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Just for your reference...here are a couple of pics form the lamp after approx 150hrs... ( NX9 , same lamp though) 

DSC_0065w.jpg

DSC_0069w.jpg

Much appreciated for the snaps.

i think I’ve done >200hours already & I was looking forward to making the call on a calibration.

I mean, how can you watch the Oz vs NZ test match on TV when you can watch it on the big screen with the JVC with its life size images.

You feel like you’re on the field, arm stretched about to take a catch...until you knock your Peroni off the arm rest & spill beer all over the floor.

Edited by Jimval

Just now, wooferocau said:

Power on the unit.

When you get the flashing LED errors , go to the rear of the PJ and hold down the power button on th ekeypad till th eprojectors powers down.

Thanks Woofer.

I’ve tried with all the cables unplugged but I haven’t tried holding down the power button as well as you suggest.

I’ll give it a try.

1 minute ago, Jimval said:

Thanks Woofer.

I’ve tried with all the cables unplugged but I haven’t tried holding down the power button as well as you suggest.

I’ll give it a try.

Make sure you use the keypad on the PJ itself..NOT the remote.  This forces the PJ into a controlled shutdown cycle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Power on the unit.

Excuse my above spelling   ?  trying to type with one finger and eat cheescake with th eother hand doesnt bode well for spelling... :D

Mate, who doesn’t love cheesecake!

Held down the power button while the left & centre leds were flashing red & orange respectively, but instead of powering down, it actually re-powered up with the led on the right turning green & the left & centre leds extinguishing. Then it was ground hog day again, with the left & centre leds flashing as before & the right led turning from green to red :(

Good suggestion though. It works for my Foxtel box :)

6 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Bugger...id guessing  you have a  failed sub board to the power supply...  

Could be.

Manual suggests that it could be one or more “board errors”.

”Error” does suggest software related issues, as opposed to say board “faults” which could be software and/or hardware related.

I’m waving the white flag unfortunately. It’s off the ceiling & now back in its box.

Rich has already contacted me & sent me details of where to take it for repair so it’s all good. 

Thanks to yourself & everyone else here that has helped me with suggestions on how to get this thing going.

It is very much appreciated.

I’ll keep you all posted on what the issue is/was & hopefully it will be repaired by Xmas. I also hope mine is the only one with this issue.

cheers

Jim

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jimval said:

Much appreciated for the snaps.

i think I’ve done >200hours already & I was looking forward to making the call on a calibration.

I mean, how can you watch the Oz vs NZ test match on TV when you can watch it on the big screen with the JVC with its life size images.

You feel like you’re on the field, arm stretched about to take a catch...until you knock your Peroni off the arm rest & spill beer all over the floor.

Jim you running high lamp or low ?

anyways seems not a lamp ? If lamp blows I’d be still keep to have changed over by service centre as mercury vapour usually need a cleanup if blow lamp ! 

hope it’s something simple and even just hard boot reset or some thing :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Jim you running high lamp or low ?

anyways seems not a lamp ? If lamp blows I’d be still keep to have changed over by service centre as mercury vapour usually need a cleanup if blow lamp ! 

hope it’s something simple and even just hard boot reset or some thing :)

As it’s my 1st PJ...it’s whatever it was set on when I mounted it on the ceiling & switched it on the very 1st time :) 

Tbh, I haven’t even looked at the lamp setting. I assume it would still be it’s default(low or high?)

The only settings I’ve touched are the settings to match it with the Pana 9000 for HDR & saved the user mode.

I understand that I can play with the settings a bit more for best results & I will have gotten round to that during the XMAS/NY holidays by also looking at the posts here regarding optimal settings.

I guess I’ve been spending way too much time enjoying it :) until now anyway.

If it is the lamp, I certainly would rather the service centre replace it than myself.

Leave it with the experts.

7 minutes ago, Jimval said:

As it’s my 1st PJ...it’s whatever it was set on when I mounted it on the ceiling & switched it on the very 1st time :) 

Tbh, I haven’t even looked at the lamp setting. I assume it would still be it’s default(low or high?)

The only settings I’ve touched are the settings to match it with the Pana 9000 for HDR & saved the user mode.

I understand that I can play with the settings a bit more for best results & I will have gotten round to that during the XMAS/NY holidays by also looking at the posts here regarding optimal settings.

I guess I’ve been spending way too much time enjoying it :) until now anyway.

If it is the lamp, I certainly would rather the service centre replace it than myself.

Leave it with the experts.

Hi Jim out of box it’s on high lamp, depending on screen size ... low lamp might be plenty :) 

changing lamps not a bother but if one blows with mercury vapour I’d be getting a service centre sorting out :)

with pana 9000 can be on factory setting :) just want jvc on hdr frame by frame :) but if happy that’s fine can always leave to calibrator when comes aground :)

27 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Hi Jim out of box it’s on high lamp, depending on screen size ... low lamp might be plenty :) 

changing lamps not a bother but if one blows with mercury vapour I’d be getting a service centre sorting out :)

with pana 9000 can be on factory setting :) just want jvc on hdr frame by frame :) but if happy that’s fine can always leave to calibrator when comes aground :)

Ok. I guess now that I’m used to high lamp, it will be hard to go down to low lamp mode :o 

The N7 cost a pretty penny in the first place, might as well use it to its potential, even if it might mean a new lamp every year.

You read my mind with your last point.

I would’ve asked the calibrator questions regarding settings. Easier just to ask the professionals while they’re doing what they’re doing & pick up not only pointers but also the do’s & don’ts (& of course the experts here :) 

• Like 1

Update on my dud N7.

I dropped the faulty N7 off to the authorised repairer first thing Monday  morning opening time, who immediately pulled out error codes from the N7 & sent them straight to JVC KENWOOD for more info,  most likely from Japan on what the error codes mean. Can’t ask for more than that from the repairer.

3 days later the repairer still hadn’t  received any response from JVC KENWOOD, so I rang JVC KENWOOD first thing Thursday morning just to find out for myself the status on my N7 (e.g. are they waiting for a response from Japan? etc)

I was told by the person on the other end of the line, they would speak to the manager & would call straight back.

Just like the repairer experienced, I have had no response from JVC KENWOOD.

I am still waiting.

Sure, it will probably sit in the shop for a while but I was hoping that once the repairer knew what the error codes meant, it may have been an easy fix via a reset procedure or the like.

Unfortunately any chance of that was extinguished by the “urgency” JVC KENWOOD showed towards my N7.

That tells me enough about JVC KENWOOD & whether I will ever again spend my money on a JVC product.

Bugger! Sorry to hear Jim. I think Japan stonewall JVC here in oz tbh. They're always 'waiting to hear back from Japan'. I know it frustrates them no end. Their hands are tied here it seems. Being just a warehouse with no facility to check projectors before they go out to dealers is another problem as are the star track couriers who have no idea what they're handling. 

Hope you get it back by Tuesday though!

Thanks Rich.

Much appreciated.

All I wanted from JVC KENWOOD at the very least was a status, like “hey, we’ve emailed Japan with the codes & waiting on a response” knowing all too well that the likelihood of the unit being repaired was remote, but I didn’t even get that.

For all I know, absolutely nothing has been initiated at JVC KENWOOD because they just couldn’t be bothered getting back to me when they said they would.

....& to rub salt into the wound...after a faultless 11 years of daily use, my Pioneer LX609 has just packed it in.

...and just when the holiday season has started.

No escaping from the wife & kids now.

It will all be about them AAARGGGHH!

No “me” time :(

Edited by Jimval
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Can only echo what Rich has said Jim ; I had a dud upgrade to BT2020 on my 7000e and it required a new main board from Japan ; took about a month to fix . The repairers advised not to try changing from rec709 in the future ; just in case ;)Very much hope its something simple ; they should have a good supply of parts for a new machine in any case :) 

6 hours ago, cwt said:

Can only echo what Rich has said Jim ; I had a dud upgrade to BT2020 on my 7000e and it required a new main board from Japan ; took about a month to fix . The repairers advised not to try changing from rec709 in the future ; just in case ;)Very much hope its something simple ; they should have a good supply of parts for a new machine in any case :) 

Thanks & I expect I will be without it longer than expected, I’m sure, not because of the turnaround for parts etc but my expectation is such that JVC KENWOOD will probably let it it sit for weeks before they do anything at all about it.

They have the job number in their database & for a whole week they couldn’t find the time to forward an email from the repairer to Japan. I assume this would be no more than a 2 minute exercise.

The N7’s logs states from the time the machine was switched on the 1st time, it lasted 50 days before it packed it in.

i won’t be happy if it takes them longer than that to repair it.

By comparison, the ECU of my Renault Megane RS ,failed under warranty & there were no ECUs in stock in Oz.

Renault shipped the ECU from France to Sydney & my car was back on the road within a week. In the meantime Renault Australia sent me to Europcar to pick a rental which they paid for because the Renault dealer did not have a courtesy car at that time.

That’s customer service.

JVC KENWOOD on the other hand...

Edited by Jimval
  • Like 1

its certainly not a great time of the year ot either get things fixed or be out of them so cant enjoy for what they are the pio 609 is an early fix...hopefyll a good pick up in a nice new OLEd with  the chrissy boxing day sales ! does japan shut down like europe over christmas ? hope not for you.

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

its certainly not a great time of the year ot either get things fixed or be out of them so cant enjoy for what they are the pio 609 is an early fix...hopefyll a good pick up in a nice new OLEd with  the chrissy boxing day sales ! does japan shut down like europe over christmas ? hope not for you.

Al,

You must have my place bugged!

With my current plight, I couldn’t wait until the Boxing Day sales so I cashed in all my velocity points into JB HIFI gift cards towards the purchase of an LG 77” OLED.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a new JVC nx-9 projector.  Opened the box and mounted on a ceiling.  Turned the power on and approximately 30 seconds later it turns off with the warning lights on. According to the manual ‘the internal temperature is abnormally high’. 

i haven’t even seen any picture out of the projector and the machine doesn’t seem to be hot at all.  Is this a faulty unit?  Anything I may have forgotten during the installations?  TIA

31 minutes ago, otagomed said:

I should have checked it before I mounted on a ceiling...  such a heavy projector lol.

Before you pack it away just try plugging It in at another power source. You don’t have a USB connected ?