JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, fire said:

Need help here, ordered N7 from Oz theatre few days ago, it's working very well on a short HDMI cable with my shield TV box, 4K HDR.

Then I hang it up this afternoon, hooked up with my two HDMI cables, they won't work with Shield TV, only Oppo 105. those cable I buried 2 years ago when I builded my house, they works perfectly when I tested with Sony 4K TV and shield.

It wont show any pic with Shield TV. I know it's the cable issues which I have been worried about.

Anyway, ordered a HDMI signal booster on Amazon, has anyone tried this way ?

Also, ordered Ugreen hdmi 2.0 Fiber Optic Cable 15m from skycomp, how's this cable ?

Can't wait to get those issues fixed.

hi fire congrats on the n7 though shame having cable troubles.... what are the cables buried and how long ? short cables are never a bother. oppo 105 is likely to work with anything. what else is in the mix ? is there an avr ? what is brand and model ? possible the green hdmi will be fine ? though no idea on brand or type,. how long is the length required to projector ? always check cables before running them. ie check them loose i the system first and over a length of time and across range of material. I do know shield in itself is a temperamental thing from issues i have read too :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fire said:

Need help here, ordered N7 from Oz theatre few days ago, it's working very well on a short HDMI cable with my shield TV box, 4K HDR.

Then I hang it up this afternoon, hooked up with my two HDMI cables, they won't work with Shield TV, only Oppo 105. those cable I buried 2 years ago when I builded my house, they works perfectly when I tested with Sony 4K TV and shield.

It wont show any pic with Shield TV. I know it's the cable issues which I have been worried about.

Anyway, ordered a HDMI signal booster on Amazon, has anyone tried this way ?

Also, ordered Ugreen hdmi 2.0 Fiber Optic Cable 15m from skycomp, how's this cable ?

Can't wait to get those issues fixed.

I use Ruipro fibre optic cables. I have a 10m cable to the JVC N7 and another 20m cable to a Z9D upstairs.

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/ruipro-hdmi-fibre-cable-15m-4k/

I had the occasional drop-out in the 20m cable when gaming on the X1X 4k at 60fps which I fixed  using a USB power injector. I watch UHD discs from the Panasonic 820 using the full bandwidth with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Cables-42236-Powered-Voltage-Inserter/dp/B00LQT760Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=C2G%2FCables+to+Go+42236+USB+Powered+HDMI+Voltage+Inserter%2C+Black+(5.8+Feet)&qid=1572258604&sr=8-1

Sometimes optical fibre cables require additional power as the HDMI port from the AVR may not have adequate power for the electronics/diodes in the active optical HDMI cable.

I use them on both optical fibre cables.

Active optical fibre cables are uni-directional, so make sure you pay attention to this fact when it's laid down. Also, I think its a good idea to run the optical cable in a conduit if it's an "internal/in-wall" installation.

While I had issues with the NVIDIA shield initially, I have not experienced any issues since using the power injector and updating the firmware. ( >2.04 )

• Like 2

On 27/10/2019 at 12:25 PM, betty boop said:

IRIS or apperture :) 

purchase light meter as suggested prior as that ways will know where at, the typical luminance to aim for are 12-16FL or 14 nominal. around 30FL for HDR... though can manage as low as 22-25FL as well 

People, put the cash towards something useful, like a couple of movies. A light meter won't tell you what you like so its pointless IMHO, one person will find a given light output too bright and another too dim, its all subjective so forget about measurements.

I have owned calibration gear for more than 15 years and NEVER bother with light measurements, the picture either looks right or its doesn't, I don't need a light meter to tell me.

30ftl is Standard Dynamic Range by the book, it's what 1080 Bluray disks are mastered for. On a big screen 30ftl  can look too bright, with standard SDR gamma, for some people because the image fills far more of your vision than a TV and you are viewing in the dark, but others may think it's too dim and want brighter.

Only slight gamma correction is needed for SDR at 30ftl or more on a projector. HDR, on the other hand, will be WAY, WAY, WAY to dark if standard HDR gamma is used because HDR is mastered for 10 to 40 times higher output than what the projector is capable of so the projector MUST  dramatically "tone map" gamma for HDR video to get an acceptable picture at a MUCH lower peak output than the video was mastered for. How well this is done is critical for the on screen image, but don't fool your selves into thinking what you are seeing is in any way "HDR", it's not. The same result or better can be achieved with SDR video because the studio engineers mastered the SDR video for 30ftl and can do a far more accurate job than any "tone mapping" algorithm in any projector, be it dynamic or static.

Dynamic HDR tone mapping is an attempt at a solution for a problem that should not exist, and doesn't with SDR video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chamii said:

I use Ruipro fibre optic cables. I have a 10m cable to the JVC N7 and another 20m cable to a Z9D upstairs.

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/ruipro-hdmi-fibre-cable-15m-4k/

I had the occasional drop-out in the 20m cable when gaming on the X1X 4k at 60fps which I fixed  using a USB power injector. I watch UHD discs from the Panasonic 820 using the full bandwidth with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Cables-42236-Powered-Voltage-Inserter/dp/B00LQT760Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=C2G%2FCables+to+Go+42236+USB+Powered+HDMI+Voltage+Inserter%2C+Black+(5.8+Feet)&qid=1572258604&sr=8-1

Sometimes optical fibre cables require additional power as the HDMI port from the AVR may not have adequate power for the electronics/diodes in the active optical HDMI cable.

I use them on both optical fibre cables.

Active optical fibre cables are uni-directional, so make sure you pay attention to this fact when it's laid down. Also, I think its a good idea to run the optical cable in a conduit if it's an "internal/in-wall" installation.

While I had issues with the NVIDIA shield initially, I have not experienced any issues since using the power injector and updating the firmware. ( >2.04 )

some good advice there and glad to hear updates with the shield have  to point working well with the JVC. hope these things help @fire

Thank everyone for the advices, Hooked up with short hdmi cable for N7, the picture is amazing, the problem only comes with long cable, even its OK for my Sony 4K, but not with Jvc. Maybe it's problem with shield. There is no problems with oppo and Panasonic Blu-ray.

My Av processor is Anthem D2v 3D, not 4K, I don't want upgrade it for another year or two.

Bought Hdmi spliter one to two, but can't deliver 4k plus sound to Anthem, it's two channels only.

Bought Panasonic 820 Blu-ray which is coming soon.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fire said:

Thank everyone for the advices, Hooked up with short hdmi cable for N7, the picture is amazing, the problem only comes with long cable, even its OK for my Sony 4K, but not with Jvc. Maybe it's problem with shield. There is no problems with oppo and Panasonic Blu-ray.

My Av processor is Anthem D2v 3D, not 4K, I don't want upgrade it for another year or two.

Bought Hdmi spliter one to two, but can't deliver 4k plus sound to Anthem, it's two channels only.

Bought Panasonic 820 Blu-ray which is coming soon.

Thanks again.

hmm a bit of a mix of things there fire....

hopefully things work with the pana :)

Ugreen hdmi 2.0 Fiber Optic Cable 15m from skycomp just arrived yesterday, which works perfectly with Shield and N7. Also bought cheap HDMI2.0 10m from Ebay- 55$, works ok with Sony 4K TV and Shield, but not with N7.

Ugreen hdmi 2.0 Fiber Optic Cable 15m from skycomp only costs 118$, very good quality, good value for the price.

Confirmed that Portta HDMI repeater and splitter work with SONY, but not with N7, totally waste of money.

I use this HDMI splitter 1 to 2, because I use Anthem D2V3 D which can't handle 4K, but I like the sound quality. I thought I can use splitter to send 4K to N7, audio to Anthem, but it only limites 1080 and 2 channels sound. 

I won't upgrade Anthem at this stage, because 4K sound technology still developing, maybe another year or two. 

So, what's the best way to play 4K on N7 with old 1080 AV gears, part from the Player with 2 HDMI output?

Can anyone share some informs for the old 3D glasses, I mean where and which brand I can buy ? I have friends coming soon, only have 4 pairs IR 3D glasses now. 

or someone wants to get rid of the old glasses?  of course I will pay them.

THX 

• Like 1

Not surprised 10m from eBay didn’t work as suggested comsol from office works probably better chance and they take back no questions.

still good got there in the green fibre :)

Re 3D glasses See below note model number source is amazon AU. Very cheap and likely come from same jvc oem works same as my jvc onesFEAFB324-2397-45A1-8F28-F05FC294F582.jpeg

Not surprised 10m from eBay didn’t work as suggested comsol from office works probably better chance and they take back no questions.

still good got there in the green fibre [emoji4]

Re 3D glasses See below note model number source is amazon AU. Very cheap and likely come from same jvc oem works same as my jvc onesFEAFB324-2397-45A1-8F28-F05FC294F582.thumb.jpeg.15c48475e47fb84fbab45693c647fe45.jpeg
I think it's IR version for the old 3D?
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fire said:
6 minutes ago, betty boop said:

still good got there in the green fibre emoji4.png

Re 3D glasses See below note model number source is amazon AU. Very cheap and likely come from same jvc oem works same as my jvc ones

I think it's IR version for the old 3D?

Look a bit closer fire ; RF radio frequency :)

Edited by cwt

hi fire, i missed the little IR bit

1 minute ago, fire said:

Thanks again, I think I need old IR version not RF.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

you want to check your emitter on your JVC... it will say on it whether IR or RF. keep in mind I am still using my emitter from 3 or more generations back ! first JVC I had and it was RF ! you want to get that right :D  expand will have an IR version too i am sure but i couldn't tell you the right one for those :) 

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

hi fire, i missed the little IR bit

you want to check your emitter on your JVC... it will say on it whether IR or RF. keep in mind I am still using my emitter from 3 or more generations back ! first JVC I had and it was RF ! you want to get that right :D  expand will have an IR version too i am sure but i couldn't tell you the right one for those :) 

I would have thought the expand rf's were fine Al as the old models before the 7000 series were ir and they switched to rf due to interference with ir on other components . Fire seems to have confirmed ir though is compatible for our aus models it seems which will be cheaper . The euro site only markets rf type [ no clue as to what blanking frequency is between ir and rf models]

https://eu.jvc.com/microsite/eu/NX9N7N5/spec.html

35 minutes ago, cwt said:

I would have thought the expand rf's were fine Al as the old models before the 7000 series were ir and they switched to rf due to interference with ir on other components . Fire seems to have confirmed ir though is compatible for our aus models it seems which will be cheaper . The euro site only markets rf type [ no clue as to what blanking frequency is between ir and rf models]

https://eu.jvc.com/microsite/eu/NX9N7N5/spec.html

hi CWT the thing was no jvc model ever came with the emitters :D jvc were quite smart in this ... so you could use IR kit wiht any projector even current gen and so you could also retrofit any old model wiht even latest RF :) my JVC two generations before the x7000 was RF :) bought the kit wiht the projector so IR will go way before that I think we are talking x3/x30 ? 3D on these was pretty naff in any case .. really came good x35 onwards :) JVC x35 came out 7? years ago ? so be that model and ones after ... though am sure IR kits were still knocking around after that :D

hi CWT the thing was no jvc model ever came with the emitters [emoji3] jvc were quite smart in this ... so you could use IR kit wiht any projector even current gen and so you could also retrofit any old model wiht even latest RF [emoji4] my JVC two generations before the x7000 was RF [emoji4] bought the kit wiht the projector so IR will go way before that I think we are talking x3/x30 ? 3D on these was pretty naff in any case .. really came good x35 onwards [emoji4] JVC x35 came out 7? years ago ? so be that model and ones after ... though am sure IR kits were still knocking around after that [emoji3]

I did read the manual which says you have to move it to good position for reception. 7da198771d489219083738c35876bb46.jpg

5 minutes ago, fire said:

I did read the manual which says you have to move it to good position for reception. 7da198771d489219083738c35876bb46.jpg

thats something  with IR.... RF cured that where can even walk out the room :D and be watching from the next while grabbing a snack. other thing IR used to do was it blasts the room with IR which i found blocked all the remotes had to go right upto and shield the remote and receiver from the IR blast :) no major shakes used IR with epson for quite a while :)