JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, cwt said:

A  rare review of the n7 for those interested :) Was intrigued to see it has a great  colour calibration out of the box - so much for THX modes :cool:

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/jvc-dla-n7-4k-d-ila-projector-review.15860

good find CWT, steve withers av forums review has been long time coming.... high respect for the guy ! and great its over 10 months ! and also taking in the new firmware v3.10 and picked up how well the new dynamic tone mapping and frame adapt HDR is working. Totally agree with his summation in regards that,

"This new Frame Adapt HDR feature is awesome, and we go as far as to say that it delivers the best projected HDR images we have seen to date."

I also very much agree with the verdict passed. though the score of 10/10 is a bit much :D 9/10 or 8/10 would be more appropriate I would suggest..... there are always things that can be improved ! ? 

Verdict 10/10

JVC DLA-N7 4K D-ILA Projector Review

The JVC DLA-N7B is a superb native 4K projector, that delivers stunning SDR, HDR and 3D images. It's well made, has a great new remote control, fully-spec'd HDMI inputs and a comprehensive set of features. The image accuracy is impressive, while the brightness and black levels are both excellent, even if the contrast performance isn't quite as good as the previous generation.

However what really impresses are the new HDR features, with Frame Adapt HDR dynamically adjusting the tone mapping based on the incoming video signal. The result is the best projected HDR we have seen to date. This projector isn't small, nor is it cheap, but it's definitely worth it. Our only real complaints are a shoddy lens cover and lack of a dedicated 3D mode, but otherwise the N7 is hard to beat and the best in its class

What are my alternatives?

The obvious alternative is the Sony VPL-VW570ES, which you can pick up for £7,999. The Sony is a good 4K projector, but we can't help feeling the company has failed to fully innovate due to a lack of competition. Sony was first to market with native 4K projectors, and it appears the company has been happy to coast on that monopoly for the last few years.

However the arrival of JVC's N Series changes all that, and these new projectors are better built, better specified and better performing. JVC may have taken longer to reach the market with native 4K projectors but it was worth the wait, and the company has done more to push 4K HDR projection in the last eight months than Sony has in the previous five years.

If you want native 4K but are on a tighter budget, then you could go for the JVC DLA-N5 at £6,499. You get all the same features, aside from a wide colour gamut filter, and although the N5 isn't quite as bright and the contrast ratio isn't quite as good, the chances are you won't notice the difference. Alternatively you could get the Sony VPL-VW270ES for £4,999, but you lose a lot of features with that model
  • Like 3

On 14/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, Squidjammer said:

Hi Mate,

I use my N7 primarily for gaming and I can happily say that Frame adapt adds zero lag. I am currently using the following settings, Frame by Frame, wide (using the lens) HDR High, Lamp low, Iris -4

I originally started using HDR mode on Auto but found that by moving it to High I was able to close my Iris a bit and still use low lamp mode. While early days I am very happy with this set up.

Scott

Thanks.

I too have found no significant lag on the frame by frame setting.

Initially, I had it on high lamp but have moved to HDR mode high with low lamp. However,I prefer to have the iris open (value <4) .

4 hours ago, Bandyka77 said:

So I guess I'll have to read a million pages to find out if the N7 is now a solid purchase? :) (in terms of issues and reliability)

I can't speak for the N7, but my N5 is all good - no green stripes and no yellowing when the iris closes (mind you the N5 only has a single iris). Focus is good across the whole image (not outstanding, but good - I'm a hard marker on this). Convergence was good too - only needed some minor tweaks).

Coming from an older X500, watching the same UHD discs the improvement in image quality is gobsmacking, especially after the recent firmware update. For HD material I find my Panasonic UB900 does a better job of upscaling to 4K than the N5 (this is a known limitation of the N5/N7).

The N5 puts out a lot more heat when in HDR mode - especially on high lamp. I'm running a 130" scope screen - HDR image brightness is marginal on scope material when in low lamp and I'll probably switch to high lamp as the lamp dims. For 16:9 material (effective 103" screen) low lamp has lumens to spare for HDR. Auto 2 on the iris works much better than the X500 - no visible "pumping" of brightness - don't even notice it.

• Like 2

some good notes from kris deering re basic setup calibration especially where using the S&M setup disc and patterns :) 

remember to turn off dynamic iris while setting up and make sure for HDR us the HDR10 preset for setting up and then transfer over to the frame adapt HDR preset the settings :) ps apart from setting light output, not that it looks like much if anything needs setting up these are that good out the box.

"Hey Manni. Interesting post here. I've calibrated A TON of NX9's and I have one here now (I've had at least 4 pass through my room in the last few months). From my testing and measurements on every one of them, I have to set brightness to -1. Anything more than that results in clipping and no change in the black floor in measurements or visually. 0 or above definitely raises the floor. Wonder why we are getting different results? Again, this has been the case with EVERY new JVC I've tested. 

As for everyone else, I don't think setting brightness in the frame adaptive mode is a good idea with frame by frame selected. This is a dynamic gamma solution, much like a dynamic iris, so I would expect the results to change. With the static HDR10 mode I see no difference in where you set black for SDR as you do for HDR, so I would suggest you use the same brightness setting regardless of mode.

Also, for the new series, the brightness setting is the only basic setting I've seen that needs any changes at all. All others (contrast/color/tint) should be at their default if you want them set properly."

and....

"You should never use ANYTHING dynamic when tweaking picture settings using a test pattern unless you are just testing the dynamic feature specifically. For setup, ALWAYS turn anything dynamic OFF."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dandlj said:

I can recommend the new JVC NX7, it’s amazing.

I showed some people the Peru 8K HDR footage off YouTube yesterday and people were amazed at how good the image looked.

DTM is game changer

Thanks, may I ask what projector you have used before the N7? My previous one was the X9500, I struggled to find any other that would please my eyes over that one.

On 19/10/2019 at 10:22 AM, Bandyka77 said:

So I guess I'll have to read a million pages to find out if the N7 is now a solid purchase? :) (in terms of issues and reliability)

I have had a couple  N5,s and several NX9, s but cant comment on the N7...

This is from Manni  over on AVS though........?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3038288-official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread-360.html#post58706856

DI artifacts on my rs2000 aren’t only on patterns, I wouldn’t care about that. They are on every single HDR title, every single instance of small bright objects against dark backgrounds. I’ve sent you the timecodes and the exact clips that show it most obviously, and they have been forwarded to JVC. Have you only calibrated rs3000s? I would like to know if you can reproduce what I see on my rs2000. It’s neither subtle, nor rare. It looks very much like what the static tonemapping does to highlights compared to the new DTM. It made me chuckle when I saw the clips that JVC uses to demo the DTM on an rs3000 with the DI disabled. I’d like to see these clips on an rs2000 with the DI enabled. DTM or no DTM, the highlights on bright objects against dark background are completely crushed (with the iris fully open, if you close the iris it does get better). Not to say that the new DTM isn’t good, it’s excellent and I applaud JVC for making it available to owners of current models via f/w download.

Anyway, I have given up both on the yellowing and the crushing of highlights, my DI is just disabled in HDR and I enjoy the PJ enormously that way, especially with the latest build 102 of madVR, which is simply spectacular!

4 hours ago, wooferocau said:

I have had a couple  N5,s and several NX9, s but cant comment on the N7...

This is from Manni  over on AVS though........?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3038288-official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread-360.html#post58706856

DI artifacts on my rs2000 aren’t only on patterns, I wouldn’t care about that. They are on every single HDR title, every single instance of small bright objects against dark backgrounds. I’ve sent you the timecodes and the exact clips that show it most obviously, and they have been forwarded to JVC. Have you only calibrated rs3000s? I would like to know if you can reproduce what I see on my rs2000. It’s neither subtle, nor rare. It looks very much like what the static tonemapping does to highlights compared to the new DTM. It made me chuckle when I saw the clips that JVC uses to demo the DTM on an rs3000 with the DI disabled. I’d like to see these clips on an rs2000 with the DI enabled. DTM or no DTM, the highlights on bright objects against dark background are completely crushed (with the iris fully open, if you close the iris it does get better). Not to say that the new DTM isn’t good, it’s excellent and I applaud JVC for making it available to owners of current models via f/w download.

Anyway, I have given up both on the yellowing and the crushing of highlights, my DI is just disabled in HDR and I enjoy the PJ enormously that way, especially with the latest build 102 of madVR, which is simply spectacular!

Thanks Mate, this is what I was after. I might just a get an N5 and see how it goes.

many things look great with pristine reference material but how do they handle stuff on the rougher end of spectrum  ? watched earlier today probably one of the roughest looking uhd so far in Apocalypse Now ! pretty rough from the start ! fair enough a fairly old movie some 40 years since release ! and quite film based so plenty of grain... glad in some ways they havent fuzzed that out  though and i dont mind grain ! still it comes up pretty well with the n7 ! 

0I9A2689.jpeg

there is quite a bit of variable lighting in scenes with bright daylight to night and low lights scenes eg one below that the dynamic tone mapping handles an absolute treat ! 

0I9A2691.jpeg

even with the pretty rough source in this uhd here, it is handled pretty well by the n7 in available detail

0I9A2697.jpeg

even here pretty close up with a shot right up at the screen :) it holds up well 

0I9A2696.jpeg 

• Like 2

by the way, its the first time after the update will likely find the miss in picking up SDR content after watching HDR. after selecting SDR for SDR content eg natural mode.... it then seems to auto select that from there hence :) anways will keep tabs on this and observe behaviour. 

After some hours I also took the opportunity to recheck my basic setup for SDR. And wow bang on patterns on zero for  contrast and brightness ! just turned color back a tad. watched a bit of manchester by the sea blu-ray and my favourite goto to check things in the american blu-ray and it looks nothing short of stunning :) 

as a bit of a curiosity I also checked back into life of pi...this as it happens as a disc on UHD has no meta data and the scene where he is training the tiger on the boat in bright sunlight looks absolutely stunning ...hooley dooley this never fails to impress. also checking the initial scenes of this movie i have to say i have never seen this movie THIS GOOD ! even with lack of meta data this dynamic tone mapping with frame by frame (and i am using auto) is an absolute stunner :)

• Like 2

by the way, its the first time after the update will likely find the miss in picking up SDR content after watching HDR. after selecting SDR for SDR content eg natural mode.... it then seems to auto select that from there hence [emoji4] anways will keep tabs on this and observe behaviour. 

After some hours I also took the opportunity to recheck my basic setup for SDR. And wow bang on patterns on zero for  contrast and brightness ! just turned color back a tad. watched a bit of manchester by the sea blu-ray and my favourite goto to check things in the american blu-ray and it looks nothing short of stunning [emoji4] 

as a bit of a curiosity I also checked back into life of pi...this as it happens as a disc on UHD has no meta data and the scene where he is training the tiger on the boat in bright sunlight looks absolutely stunning ...hooley dooley this never fails to impress. also checking the initial scenes of this movie i have to say i have never seen this movie THIS GOOD ! even with lack of meta data this dynamic tone mapping with frame by frame (and i am using auto) is an absolute stunner [emoji4]

Congrats on your new PJ Al. Looks like your extremely happy. I think time for to take the plunge also on the N7.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, poppybob said:

Congrats on your new PJ Al. Looks like your extremely happy. I think time for to take the plunge also on the N7.

I'm pretty happy PB :) glad have made the move, I saw another JVC N series in @Quark 's N5 in his blacked out dedicated theatre running a  130" scope screen and pretty impressive I would say. here again i was seeing fade to blacks, good colours punch details and he is incredibly runnign in low lamp ! also running the new frame by frame DTM in auto. Good to see another wiht the new firm ware for frame of reference... I didnt see any issue there either in yellowing or stripes or artifacts or anything like that in the some uhd and blu-rays we swapped between. A fine room and Setup Quark, well to be proud off. those "screen away" ? blinds i think use for blackout seem very effective. I might have to explore more :)

@poppybob I think you have a 9900 ? if remember below comment from Aztar35 on AVS might be useful, 

"Hi, Coxy. I've had a few JVC e-shifters, including the X990. The native contrast numbers are not far off between the X990 and the NX7, and regardless don't tell the whole story.  

My X990 at open aperture DI off came in at around 36K:1 in D6500 temp and over 42K:1 in high bright. My NX7, aperture full open, at D6500 color temp came in 31,949:1 but I didn't measure it in high bright. 

As far as the NX7's DI goes, mine doesn't flinch when it comes to artifacts. I even had to check it to make sure it was operating, and it was. You can see black levels go deeper but can't see it transitioning where I recall with my X990, I could see pumping on credits.  

But here's the whole story.  smile.gif I wouldn't say the last generation of shifters weren't sharp. Mine had a fantastic lens, I thought. The thing with them is that given their larger pixel size, their images can appear coarse and less precise at times; and for someone like me who was accustomed to single chip DLPs, that wasn't always pleasant. In fact, that's why I liked the 4K Sonys so much... because they looked more like DLPs with how their panels responded re: motion and their finer pixels.

Enter the NX7, especially now with DTM, it's a must see. I have mine in a light-controlled room and its combination of color, contrast, and clarity make for remarkable imagery. Motion handling is some of the best I've seen from Lcos technology. Moreover, the perception of contrast is on par with the X990 if not better on the NX7 depsite the numbers. How can that be? I would say it has to do with the smaller pixel gaps in the native series. Imagine looking at a night sky through a window shrouded by a thick mesh screen as opposed to one mated to a screen composed of the finest/thinnest threads.  

Lastly, if it's black bars that have you in a tizzy, go for a scope screen or try the Craig Peer two-screen approach. smile.gif"

• Like 2

Hi I have joined the club and had a N7 installed last Tuesday. I spent 9 hours for the last 3 nights trying out the new projector and trying to find the optimal settings by eyes only. I have upgraded it to firmware 3.01.

At more than twice the price from the Sony 45ES to the JVC N7 it was a  big step forward in terms of quality of video images. I have to say I am very happy with the upgrade. The pictures come out very good indeed.

I have read from and made reference to others' recommendations, below are the settings I have now. I have a controlled darkroom for my HT use.

For SDR,

Picture Mode: natural

Lamp Power: low

Aperture: Manual -3

Color Profile: BT.709

Color Temp: 6500K

MPC Level

Graphic Mode: High-res

Enahnce: 5

Smoothing: 2

NR: 0

Motion Control

Low Latency: Off

Clear Motion Drive: high

Motion Enhance: low

Contrast: 0

Brightness: -2

Color: 0

Tint: 0

For HDR,

Picture Mode: Frame Adapt HDR

Aperture: Aoto 2

Cinema filter: wide

HDR Level: Auto

HDR Processing: Frame by frame

MPC Level

Motion Control

Brightness: 0

What do you think? Are there any differences in your setting preferences?

• Like 1

I don't have measuring equipment and don't have the video knowledge anyway. I have a Spears & munsil HD Benchmark Blu Ray disc (not 4k) I bought years ago for my Plasma TV but I have not used it this time because with limited video knowledge I could only use the most basic stuff.

For choosing setting preferences for SDR, I used Cinderella and Planet Earth II BD. For HDR, I used the Planet Earth II UHD only.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1stThunder said:

Hi I have joined the club and had a N7 installed last Tuesday. I spent 9 hours for the last 3 nights trying out the new projector and trying to find the optimal settings by eyes only. I have upgraded it to firmware 3.01.

At more than twice the price from the Sony 45ES to the JVC N7 it was a  big step forward in terms of quality of video images. I have to say I am very happy with the upgrade. The pictures come out very good indeed.

congrats 1st thunders great to hear enjoying your new N7 :)

What do you think? Are there any differences in your setting preferences?

will do my best to answer :)

For SDR,

Picture Mode: natural

Aperture: Manual -3

Color Profile: BT.709

Color Temp: 6500K

MPC Level

Motion Control

Brightness: -2

am not doing here far off from out of box... as seems you are,

my iris is running in auto 2 and iris setting (which have to adjust in manual) is far lower -12 (though i run a relatively small screen) and still doing something akin to bit on the bright side in 17Fc equating to 18.7FL (my screen gain is 1.1)... dropping to -11 iris gives too much of a drop so rather leave a tad high and let the lamp wear it down as ages settles :) anyways will monitor.

gamma i am using is the stock 2.2

with mpc level i have for moment anyways turned all this back to off or zero, same goes with motion control :) 

wiht contrast and brightness i have set this with the wow disney disc and the advanced contrast and brightness charts while did have adjusted brightness a tad back and contrast 0. on re checking lately i found both can be on 0 to achieve black and white so not clipping either  :) color is -8 i feel ....only done by eye on the wow disney reference images... 

For HDR,

Picture Mode: Frame Adapt HDR

Aperture: Aoto 2

Cinema filter: wide

HDR Level: Auto

HDR Processing: Frame by frame

MPC Level

Motion Control

Brightness: 0

I am pretty much going with the out of box settings post 3.1 update. frame adapt HDR, i have a feeling my latency is on though CMD low. I want to explore more latency and particularly the MPC and motion control settings particularly on uhd as not really had the chance to explore to understand ramifications. 

25 minutes ago, 1stThunder said:

I don't have measuring equipment and don't have the video knowledge anyway. I have a Spears & munsil HD Benchmark Blu Ray disc (not 4k) I bought years ago for my Plasma TV but I have not used it this time because with limited video knowledge I could only use the most basic stuff.

For choosing setting preferences for SDR, I used Cinderella and Planet Earth II BD. For HDR, I used the Planet Earth II UHD only.

there is a new S&M disc for uhd setup, not something i have as cracked open to use. will do when have a bit more time. from what kris deering on avs says there is not much if anything he has found needed adjusting on numerous units he has calibrated. which is confidence inspiring and as i have it seems to look great but will get around.

its worth investing in a light meter as well will give some peg in ground as what sort of luminance achieving :) and its a simple measurement, tell yo soon if getting in ball park of 12-16 FL or 14 FL nominal for SDR and ~30FL for HDR :) 

am just using a light meter from RS electronics locally and borne our to be excellent quality units and a low cost investment at under $100 ! 

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/light-meters/1232223/

F1232223-02.jpg

easy to use just hold at screen centre and point back to projector and multiply the FC reading by your screen gain to get FL :)

and below the spears and munsil UHD HDR setup disc(i believe covers SDR as well) also locally available and at under $60 and though not cracked mine open yet, also a great little investment I would think :) 

1_1024x1024@2x.png?v=1561356510

https://www.biaslighting.com.au/products/spears-munsil-uhd-hdr-benchmark-4k-ultra-hd-bluray

I have a 106 inch, acoustic transparent, motorised drop-down screen with a gain of 1 and viewing distance of 4.2 meters in a light controlled darkroom. 

I had gamma at 2.2 too. Oh, I thought iris can only be adjusted when "manual" is selected. Do you mean I can select "auto 2" yet can still manually adjust it? I selected -3 because I thought for a lower number the images weren't bright enough. I wanted to brighten the images up a bit. I thought I couldn't use the "brightness" setting because if I increased the "brightness" the black would be less black, while if I increased the iris it brightens up the images without losing the black.

For SDR, when watching the Planet Earth II HD, for a while I was exploring the color profile DCI in addition to BT.709 as a result of comparing to Planet Earth II UHD 4k. For that disk only, DCI on SDR gave a much closer match to UHD 4k HDR, and I must say I liked it. The color was slightly over saturated a bit so I set the "color" to -3 to compensate. But when I switched it back to Cinderella and other disks I found BT.709 to be very natural and had enough color depth, so I thought BT.709 will be my final setting.

The MPC settings were basically manufacturer defaults, except that I changed the graphic mode from standard to high-res. I set Motion Control Clear Motion Drive on high and Motion Enhance on low because when setting both off and watching the Cinderella ballroom dance the images were severely jagged. I love watching ballets and I collected every single BD album ever released from Marrinsky and Bolshoi, and many from Royal Ballet and Paris Opera Ballet. I watch them very frequently and need the best motion handling to see dancers in action. I have spent only a bit of time on this but I will explore more on the motion setting on the N7.

Edited by 1stThunder

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

with mpc level i have for moment anyways turned all this back to off or zero, same goes with motion control :) 

Did you ever see jagged images in fast motion?

I was quite happy with my Sony 45es motion handling. But before I bought the N7 I watched the N5 from the shop with my ballet discs, and I thought the JVC equals or betters the Sony. I didn't note down what motion setting it had. But when I got mine installed in my place, I noticed the severely jagged images in the Cinderella ballroom dance scene, hence I was exploring the settings away from the default settings.

Perhaps I am expecting too much. In that dance scene, there was close-up shot of Cinderella moving from right to left in less than a second across a 2.4 meter projector screen. Maybe I have to see images jumping. 

Edited by 1stThunder

52 minutes ago, 1stThunder said:

I have a 106 inch, acoustic transparent, motorised drop-down screen with a gain of 1 and viewing distance of 4.2 meters in a light controlled darkroom. 

I had gamma at 2.2 too. Oh, I thought iris can only be adjusted when "manual" is selected. Do you mean I can select "auto 2" yet can still manually adjust it? I selected -3 because I thought for a lower number the images weren't bright enough. I wanted to brighten the images up a bit. I thought I couldn't use the "brightness" setting because if I increased the "brightness" the black would be less black, while if I increased the iris it brightens up the images without losing the black.

That’s fantastic to get a 1 gain AT screen, means don’t loose too much for benefit and motorised to wow ! Who makes these. I remember someone looking for a motorised AT

indeed can is manual iris for setting peak luminance. A pure white screen and light meter helps here. Once done that can change iris from manual to auto. And auto2 is what using. Remember to have iris on manual for all charts or setup though :)

ps contrary to thinking brightness actually sets point of black clipping. Contrast sets pint of white clipping best to set these with respective charts have a peep on the s&m disc. Should be appropriate charts. On your older disc for sdr. The updated disc for sdr and hdr:)

39 minutes ago, 1stThunder said:

For SDR, when watching the Planet Earth II HD, for a while I was exploring the color profile DCI in addition to BT.709 as a result of comparing to Planet Earth II UHD 4k. For that disk only, DCI on SDR gave a much closer match to UHD 4k HDR, and I must say I liked it. The color was slightly over saturated a bit so I set the "color" to -3 to compensate. But when I switched it back to Cinderella and other disks I found BT.709 to be very natural and had enough color depth, so I thought BT.709 will be my final setting.

Colour will always be by eye, have a peep once checked contradt and brightness :) I found need to tone back on it for sdr but HDR seems fine on 0 :)