JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

for those of us eagerly awaiting the new frame adapt firmware and also like me who are first time usb updaters.... below is a video from JVC usb that mike garret on avs has kindly shared. runs through no only the usb update process but also a quick run through once new firmware is loaded on settings to select. note it gives us choice of frame adapt or seen by scene. which is pretty impressive.

and we now have 3.1 on the aussie site ! 

October 9 2019    v3.10*    ・Adds new "Frame Adapt HDR" function
・Support for 16x9 content when using a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens (adds Anamorphic D).
・Adds new presets to screen adjustment function.

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/

• Like 2

Really, you've watched the Foxtel 4K channel at home? I'm sensing no.

We were talking about Foxtel Now and Foxtel Go which doesn’t support 4K, and isn’t good for HD content either.

If Foxtel showed Showtime in 4K then I’d consider buying the IQ box.

1 hour ago, Spizz said:

Can't wait for this weekend to put it through its paces with the new firmware.

well i couldn't resist. popped in the usb over a cuppa and it was done... it fires up in high lamp which i turned back to low also put in the wide filter rest is as ivc video. with frame by frame etc. 

put in the shallows uhd ... F me ! :D this is THE best I have seen this yet. bang slap in your face  ! my goodness I cannot believe it ! how good this looks ! this is scene around when she ends up on the dead whale to across to the rock. 

and this is film with meta data, cant imagine what will do with ones without. 

cant wait to check some other films out. but by jingo :D jvc are on a winner here  ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

well i couldn't resist. popped in the usb over a cuppa and it was done... it fires up in high lamp which i turned back to low also put in the wide filter rest is as ivc video. with frame by frame etc. 

put in the shallows uhd ... F me ! :D this is THE best I have seen this yet. my goodness I cannot believe it ! how good this looks ! this is scene around when she ends up on the dead whale to across to the rock. 

and this is film with meta data, cant imagine what will do with ones without. 

cant wait to check some other films out. but by gingo :D jvc are on a winner here  ?

I'll also be updating when I get home in about 2hrs and look forward to messing around with some HDR gaming!!!

What HDR Level setting did you use? Auto, Low, Medium or high?

• Like 1

Just now, Squidjammer said:

I'll also be updating when I get home in about 2hrs and look forward to messing around with some HDR gaming!!!

just gone with auto as per the jvc video, left as is. 

yes good point re games where there isnt any meta data this should be useful, same with 4k appletv where apparently meta data is a bit screwed at times. 

46 minutes ago, dandlj said:

We were talking about Foxtel Now and Foxtel Go which doesn’t support 4K, and isn’t good for HD content either.

If Foxtel showed Showtime in 4K then I’d consider buying the IQ box.

I think the IQ3 and IQ4 are better than Foxtel Now/Go.

• Like 1

From Kris Deering some info-

I could see some people finding the image to be too dim if they just use the AUTO selection for processing. I found MEDIUM and HIGH gave the best results, with HIGH being the closest to what I see with the Lumagen more often than not, though it doesn't do as well with high APL/High CLL content, so in those cases you may have to go to MEDIUM or LOW (The Meg is a good example of this).

2 hours ago, Squidjammer said:

Currently stuck in Syd :( Can you check whether Latency is affected? 

I know people have said that the latency stays the same, but would be nice to have a confirmation on this. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Expecting to see comments tomorrow. smile.gif
  • Frame Adapt HDR is good. Not an "OMG" level of improvement, but definitely a significant improvement to the picture quality.
  • No chroma fix. Still stuck upscaling only to 4:2:2 in MadVR for now. I'm pretty sure JVC never intends to fix this problem. 4:2:2 is good enough for them I guess, and yes it is not a huge difference for movies anyway.
  • Still some issues with artifacts around yellow and orange colors in HDR mode with motion enhance turned on. See my post in the Owner's thread for details: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58662330

Solid update. Still want to see more fixes. Others are reporting yellowing issues still. Probably never going to see a fix for that either, I bet. I've had trouble reproducing that issue, but it definitely bothers others enough to turn off the DI. Shame...

1 hour ago, Michael391 said:

Got it going and looking good on my N5.
Might put a few random picks up later.

good stuff ! great its working well on the n5 :) looking forward to hear how finding it :) we gotta give this thing a go on more material :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Solid update. Still want to see more fixes. Others are reporting yellowing issues still. Probably never going to see a fix for that either, I bet. I've had trouble reproducing that issue, but it definitely bothers others enough to turn off the DI. Shame...

not seeing any yellowing yet... but then i hadn't seen it before and am running the DI  :D it can stay elusive ... am sure its there and a certain range of conditions circumstances.... 

ps also from our wombats friend :) 

I also tested with Aquaman. Specifically the trench scene with the bright red flare and lots of shadows. That scene and the beach scene after it both have less clipping on dark frames and are less washed out on bright frames. It's hard to compare without being able to flip back and forth quickly and I can't use screenshots to compare like I do with MadVR. Still, I'm pretty sure FrameAdapt handles the Aquaman trench scene exceptionally well. I haven't compared it to MadVR tone mapping yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Great news! I've downloaded and will update tonight.

OK, update done. I haven't watched many UHD discs on the N5 so hard to tell how much of a difference the new firmware makes. Watched Wonder Woman tonight and was very impressed with the image.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, waikis said:

Currently stuck in Syd :( Can you check whether Latency is affected? 

I know people have said that the latency stays the same, but would be nice to have a confirmation on this. 

Played a couple hours of shadow of the tomb raider and it felt perfect, no added lag. Also a great game to test the dynamic tone mapping as it moves from dark scenes to bright outdoor areas quite frequently. So far it seems like a great update also watched a few bits and pieces on Netflix in HDR and the results looked really good.

i did have a slight scare when turning the projector on after it completed the update - there was some loud grinding and gear crunching that happened as it was turning on and I thought oh great somethings buggered. Luckily after the dila logo all was back to normal. Fingers crossed something was just moving into place and it's not a sign of things to come.

Edited by Squidjammer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Squidjammer said:

i did have a slight scare when turning the projector on after it completed the update - there was some load grinding and gear crunching that happened as it was turning on and I thought oh great somethings buggered.

oh yeah you are right :D forgot about that all together. what the hell was that ? not sure whether it was resetting everything or something ! 

will have to watch out next start up for that as well ! :) 

3 minutes ago, Squidjammer said:

Played a couple hours of shadow of the tomb raider and it felt perfect, no added lag. Also a great game to test the dynamic tone mapping as it moves from dark scenes to bright outdoor areas quite frequently. So far it seems like a great update also watched a few bits and pieces on Netflix in HDR and the results looked really good.

good to hear on gaming and netflix will have to check out myself too