JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

I've noticed some lip synch issues when using my Pana UB900 to upscale blu-rays (picture is definitely better using the Panasonic rather than the N5 for scaling to 4K). I presume it's the upscaling that's adding delay.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Quark said:

I've noticed some lip synch issues when using my Pana UB900 to upscale blu-rays (picture is definitely better using the Panasonic rather than the N5 for scaling to 4K). I presume it's the upscaling that's adding delay.

I quite possibly think this is the case,

are there particular blu-rays that do this. I dont have the pana 900 though have the pana 9000 and dont know if there is anything different in the upscaling between these players. I've checked out a few blu-rays so far and havent seen anything, but happy to check out any examples. if have same discs in possession. as a point of note I am not using source direct on the player either, the pana 9000 is doing upscaling for me :)

14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I quite possibly think this is the case,

are there particular blu-rays that do this. I dont have the pana 900 though have the pana 9000 and dont know if there is anything different in the upscaling between these players. I've checked out a few blu-rays so far and havent seen anything, but happy to check out any examples. if have same discs in possession. as a point of note I am not using source direct on the player either, the pana 9000 is doing upscaling for me :)

I've only been going through the X-files blu-rays - no audio synch issues on my old Oppo 95 with the N5, but using the upscaling on the UB900 brings the delay (albeit with a much nicer picture). I'll try some other blu-rays soon.

• Like 1

Those who moved from an x9000 / x9500 / x9900 to the N7. Could you please let us know how much of a downgrade the contrast performance is, please? Black bars are almost non-existent with the previous top units so wondering how much of an issue they are with the N7. Much appreciated! ? 

On 06/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, Spizz said:

If you are using the Foxtel IQ4 box and outputting in 4K I strongly suggest using the BT2020 filter in the projector as that is what the Fox box is outputting and the colors looks right with it in place.

I don't think this correct.

The foxtel IQ4 box is outputting 8 bit colour and not 10 bit HDR so you should be setting the profile to REC 709.

If anything is reporting BT2020 then I think it's just a detection issue.

Edited by Satanica

10 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I don't think this correct.

The foxtel IQ4 box is outputting 8 bit colour and not 10 bit HDR so you should be setting the profile to REC 709.

If anything is reporting BT2020 then I think it's just a detection issue.

Even though it displays it is receiving a BT2020 signal that certainly is possible.  I still stand by that I personally think the colors look correct with the BT2020 filter in place.   This may change post calibration but for now the BT2020 filter stays in place.  YMMV.

37 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Even though it displays it is receiving a BT2020 signal that certainly is possible.  I still stand by that I personally think the colors look correct with the BT2020 filter in place.   This may change post calibration but for now the BT2020 filter stays in place.  YMMV.

My LG OLED reports BT2020 from the Foxtel IQ4 but I don't believe it.

49 minutes ago, Satanica said:

My LG OLED reports BT2020 from the Foxtel IQ4 but I don't believe it.

Just did some research on the Foxtel fourm.  Looks like Foxtel is indeed using the BT2020 color space on the Foxtel IQ4 box, though incorrectly in its application as it should be rec709  as you point out.    There is a 19 page thread about washed out colors for TV owners through Foxtels non-standard implementation of the BT.2020 colour standard.

Until Foxtel fix this I will continue to use the BT2020 filter as once again the colors look to me correct with it in place on the NX7. 

Edited by Spizz
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Just did some research on the Foxtel fourm.  Looks like Foxtel is indeed using the BT2020 color space on the Foxtel IQ4 box, though incorrectly in its application as it should be rec709  as you point out.    There is a 19 page thread about washed out colors for TV owners through Foxtels incorrect use of the BT2020 color standard for 8bit non HDR content.   

Until Foxtel fix this I will continue to use the BT2020 filter as once again the colors look to me correct with it in place on the NX7.

I've read some of that thread and it's reported that LG have provided a fix or workaround for their OLED TV's to Foxtels non-standard BT 2020.

No reports of other display manufacturers including JVC.

3 hours ago, Spizz said:

I haven't owned the other JVCs and I am happy with the black levels, but if that was the case with those units then the black bars are definitely still existent for me on the NX7.  

Yeah that’s what I thought. I guess they were sometimes visible on the x7000 / 7500 / 7900 but not the 9 series units! ? 

I watch a lot of ATV content on my NX7 and the picture is amazing from Netflix and Apple content. Stuff like The Crown is jaw dropping.

However I don’t have a Foxtel box, and Foxtel don’t have an ATV app, so I have to use Foxtel Now/Go and screen share it to my ATV to watch Foxtel content.

Watching Walking Dead last night the picture was of really bad quality, looks like SD. Anyone else find this?

If anyone else here watches Walking Dead or some other recent show on their physical Foxtel box on their JVC projector, is the picture really good?

Thanks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dandlj said:

I watch a lot of ATV content on my NX7 and the picture is amazing from Netflix and Apple content. Stuff like The Crown is jaw dropping.

However I don’t have a Foxtel box, and Foxtel don’t have an ATV app, so I have to use Foxtel Now/Go and screen share it to my ATV to watch Foxtel content.

Watching Walking Dead last night the picture was of really bad quality, looks like SD. Anyone else find this?

If anyone else here watches Walking Dead or some other recent show on their physical Foxtel box on their JVC projector, is the picture really good?

Thanks

foxtel... no wonder call it "pox tell" oh yeah i watched it like you did... screen sharing to ATV...picture really bad quality woudl be understandment... this was with previous x7000 JVC ... we ended up watching on our 50" pio kuro instead... was just bearable ... i cancelled foxtel now/go straight after during the trial free period. what an rip off ! anything with no apple tv app aint worth chasing any how. what we watched .... chernobyl. I ended up buying on blu-ray as just released ... look forward to watching properly this time with some decent PQ and AQ. HBO put such an effort wiht this stuff cant believe pox tell can make such a mess of it ! 

agree totally netflix and apple content off ATV is very good and indeed projector worthy ... 

12 minutes ago, j19801110 said:

Yeah that’s what I thought. I guess they were sometimes visible on the x7000 / 7500 / 7900 but not the 9 series units! ? 

as a heads up the 9000 series were really no different to the 7000 series infact exactly same. Only difference they claimed hand picked optics thats all to separate them. i never bought that malarky ! just as likely to get a better or worse example of either. 

foxtel... no wonder call it "pox tell" oh yeah i watched it like you did... screen sharing to ATV...picture really bad quality woudl be understandment... this was with previous x7000 JVC ... we ended up watching on our 50" pio kuro instead... was just bearable ... i cancelled foxtel now/go straight after during the trial free period. what an rip off ! anything with no apple tv app aint worth chasing any how. what we watched .... chernobyl. I ended up buying on blu-ray as just released ... look forward to watching properly this time with some decent PQ and AQ. HBO put such an effort wiht this stuff cant believe pox tell can make such a mess of it ! 

agree totally netflix and apple content off ATV is very good and indeed projector worthy ... 

Pox tel - love it!

Thanks for setting my mind at ease
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, betty boop said:

as a heads up the 9000 series were really no different to the 7000 series infact exactly same. Only difference they claimed hand picked optics thats all to separate them. i never bought that malarky ! just as likely to get a better or worse example of either. 

That wasn’t my experience. My x9500 had a noticeably lower black floor to my x7000 - in the same room - both calibrated. Same experience with the x9900 I calibrated. The contrast difference was clearly visible as it should be. 120 000 versus 160 000 to 1. It wasn’t just in my head. The black bars were pretty much non-existent on the 9 series. I’m afraid of feeling cheated with the new N series so I might just wait and see what happens in the contrast department come next September. ;) 

54 minutes ago, j19801110 said:

That wasn’t my experience. My x9500 had a noticeably lower black floor to my x7000 - in the same room - both calibrated. Same experience with the x9900 I calibrated. The contrast difference was clearly visible as it should be. 120 000 versus 160 000 to 1. It wasn’t just in my head. The black bars were pretty much non-existent on the 9 series. I’m afraid of feeling cheated with the new N series so I might just wait and see what happens in the contrast department come next September. ;) 

definitely been a case of luck of draw. and plenty with variable experience that have seen over the years. could be you got a coupe of good ones vs a poor 7000 !  atleast the n9 is a clear and actual step up with upspec optics... rather than the hand picked business. ...and we know the giant optics on the z1. you cant beat this kind of thing I dont think. as to deciding id suggest check out for self to decide. if calibrating and going through multiple units as seem to do i suspect not a major hurdle :)

4 hours ago, Spizz said:

Foxtel have known about this for ages Spizz ; the filter is just expanding the rec709 colour gamut at the expense of a tad of brightness ; better than washed out colours ; your lucky you don't have the filter less N5  :)

https://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Foxtel-iQ4/Foxtel-iQ4-Oversaturated-Colour/td-p/261948/page/14

My AppleTV 4K is set for HDR 4K 50hz with match frame rate and dynamic range switched on.  Is yours set the same?

Ide set it to 60hz rather than 50hz so it doesn't have to  change the frame rate to Aus standard and increase latency [if the apple tv prefers to put out that rate rather than 24hz for a UHD disc ? ] If it changes lip sync at all..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwt said:

Ide set it to 60hz rather than 50hz so it doesn't have to  change the frame rate to Aus standard and increase latency [if the apple tv prefers to put out that rate rather than 24hz for a UHD disc ? ] If it changes lip sync at all..

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have already tried the 60hz as well as disabling the frame convert, etc and still get lip sync for only the Amazon app.   Both Netflix and Stan are perfect and issue free for me.

• Like 1

@Spizz checked some more things for you,

fired up the oppo 205, its just on auto for video output and tried a blu-ray in brooklyn. no lip synch at all that I can see.... picture is just gorgeous though ! :)

0I9A2562.jpeg

I also thought to try fta again as this was maybe where perhaps detected even a hint of lip synch. but no again in all channels i checked out no lip synch. I tell you fta can look pretty good indeed via the fetch its upscaling to 1080p 50

0I9A2564.jpeg

I did go back to appleTV and checked my settings, below is what i have, I am just matching for range and frame rate and it is running at 4:2:2

IMG_0080.jpeg

checked both grand tour on amazon prime and also unbelievable on netflix, and sbs on demand  all can confirm there is no lip synch issue can see. I went back and turned range and frame rate match and off put chroma to 4:2:0 and check all three again... no lip synch issue. I am using marantz av8802A though.

ps not sure been checking ... but yeah !!! two days in row the projector alignment has been rock solid on switch on. can only put down the twice dropped i had initially down to extreme weather or settling in or something. anyways will keep checking on each switch on. will report if see anything else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, betty boop said:

definitely been a case of luck of draw. and plenty with variable experience that have seen over the years. could be you got a coupe of good ones vs a poor 7000 !  atleast the n9 is a clear and actual step up with upspec optics... rather than the hand picked business. ...and we know the giant optics on the z1. you cant beat this kind of thing I dont think. as to deciding id suggest check out for self to decide. if calibrating and going through multiple units as seem to do i suspect not a major hurdle :)

Optics-wise there wasn’t a huge difference between the x7000 and the x9000 series. The difference was only in contrast of the LCOS chips. There was a huge difference between x5000 and the other two though in a way that harmed the x5000 ANSI due to optics and LCOS chips delivering a huge drop in on/off. Both were visible by eye.

The new Epsons definitely have the better lens and e-shift than the old chassis JVCs - but of course not on/off contrast. :P The ANSI is about twice as high though. And of course LCD has no dither noise so a very calm image. I wish the two could have a baby. ? 

I’m not sure about the new N series as it’s new territory. ;) But it does sound like a huge drop in on/off which is what’s concerning me. Grrrr. :( But it does sound like they are driving the chips differently (less dither noise which e-shift is not making worse) and a more analogue look which I loved in the HD250/350/550/750/950 series. Yes, I have seen and calibrated those models too. ? in fact I still kept an HD750.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j19801110 said:

Optics-wise there wasn’t a huge difference between the x7000 and the x9000 series. The difference was only in contrast of the LCOS chips. There was a huge difference between x5000 and the other two though in a way that harmed the x5000 ANSI due to optics and LCOS chips delivering a huge drop in on/off. Both were visible by eye.

sounds like you possibly had a very poor 5000, there was definitely variability. but there were other differences between 5000 and 7000 and 9000 series. from my understanding the 5000 carried over the old light engine and have to keep in mind the 7000 and 9000 also have the dual iris just as n7 and n9 do.

I’m not sure about the new N series as it’s new territory. ;) But it does sound like a huge drop in on/off which is what’s concerning me. Grrrr. :( But it does sound like they are driving the chips differently (less dither noise which e-shift is not making worse) and a more analogue look which I loved in the HD250/350/550/750/950 series. Yes, I have seen and calibrated those models too. ? in fact I still kept an HD750.

sorry no I dont see it as a HUGE drop off or anything like that. definitely check out for self, there are also certainly plenty of measurements going on, check in on avs and still a bit of variability by looks. even across the screen !  I remember the hd750 great projector i last remember seeing one in a pitch black dedicated room and calibrated to nth of its life by its owner. as good as it was i do believe things have moved on :) seems like you have / had a lot of projectors though 500 ? 750 ? 5000 ?  7000 ? 9000 ? 9500 ? 9900 ? epson :D  thats some churn hehe

he new Epsons definitely have the better lens and e-shift than the old chassis JVCs - but of course not on/off contrast. :P The ANSI is about twice as high though. And of course LCD has no dither noise so a very calm image. I wish the two could have a baby. ? 

Ha !  not so sure on that :D as a prior epson 9000 series and prior owner even helped someone a few months ago get one, have seen side by side vs jvc and seen epson calibrated in home as well in decent surrounding they are fantastic things for the money but yeah contrast hehe but then they are so much cheaper ! really nothing else for the money i reckon unless going 2nd hand. as far as having a baby am certainly seeing better clarity, rendition detail and less noise with the n7 :) possible its the removal of the e-shift? 

Yup, I have had a few projectors but also friends are into home cinema and I need to set theirs up usually as they don’t know how to. ? 

I also acquired a few units with bad ballasts and faulty light paths to fix up, calibrate and sell on. I just enjoy tinkering with them, that’s all. In fact, now that the new bigger house and home cinema is nearing completion, I’m gonna start just acquiring them, fixing them and keeping them without selling on to start a bit of a collection. “JVC through the years” or something. Hahaha! ? 

Mmm, look, I think I’m very realistic about the performance I saw across the lines. I have seen most of JVCs units, quite a few from each series to get a feel for how they perform. It doesn’t mean they were not great units. But like anything everything has pros and cons. 

I love my Epson for gaming! Must better than any JVC. I love my JVCs for movies. Simply cannot be beaten in that department. ? 

• Like 1

for those of us eagerly awaiting the new frame adapt firmware and also like me who are first time usb updaters.... below is a video from JVC usb that mike garret on avs has kindly shared. runs through no only the usb update process but also a quick run through once new firmware is loaded on settings to select. note it gives us choice of frame adapt or seen by scene. which is pretty impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, betty boop said:

Really, you've watched the Foxtel 4K channel at home? I'm sensing no.