JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

39 minutes ago, j19801110 said:

Yes that’s exactly right. :) 

Cool cool! Keep us updated how you go with the bare bulbs if you do get them. 

from dominic,

"I can ship by Small Packet International Air to Australia, but it does not provide tracking. Tracked shipping is expensive - $35 USD extra."

pity no tracking .... 

3 minutes ago, SimonNo10 said:

Sorry quick question. Is there a setting in the menu for Standby Echo mode or is it just the option to turn Eco mode On/Off that puts the projector in normal Standby Mode (Red Light On)? 

hi simon, its just eco off I think. 

So has anyone got some settings to improve PQ? I’m running mine with Picture Mode: Natural with default settings for that mode. Just wanted some basic improvements before getting it professionally calibrated :). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimonNo10 said:

So has anyone got some settings to improve PQ? I’m running mine with Picture Mode: Natural with default settings for that mode. Just wanted some basic improvements before getting it professionally calibrated :). 

just the basics wiht setup disc here simon, as I posted back earlier, light output with the light meter aiming for 12-16 FL for blu-ray and around 30FL for UHD. and basics with brightness, contrast and colour for blu-ray, not doing much else or uhd as tone mapping is giving a great result. once get enough hours will look at full calibration :) I have some thoughts to check out the spears and munssle uhd setup/calibration disc when get some time :)

Well this is interesting :)

Apart from below our firm ware 2.10 from rwestely on avs, which is not so new I don’t think, 

“Some interesting information from the French Forum:
"The highlight of the new FW is of course the new Frame Adapt HDR feature available for all HDR10 sources, but there is also the 18-bit gamma processing (instead of 12), the Autocal support for the Spyder X and a few other (support of Panamorf Paladin anamorphic lenses)" Read more at
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/projecteurs-uhd-4k/jvc-dla-n5-et-dla-n7-proj-4k-natifs-test-hcfr-post-1-t30089794-2835.html#wUp92pWP3Iml5I5V.99

And then this ... 

“I just read this new review of the firmware from the German Forum. Very interesting translation is not perfect.
First Test Results with Frame Adapt HDR Version 3.10
Firmware 3.10 has been installed. Instead of the announced on-screen menu 22 minutes, it took only about 10 minutes to FW is completely installed. Very well.
First surprise: The FW3.10 has not only installed frame Adapt HDR, but immediately fixed the bug in the auto iris. The yellow color is gone! Also, the iris works in both modes less noticeable than before. For HDR, however, I still find it inappropriate because it outshines content in the white, which is present in the HDR content and can be seen with the iris deactivated. With the DLA-N7 I can do without the car aperture very well, because the black value seems to me dark enough without Auto Iris.
Frame Adapt HDR: There are numerous setting options to "optimize" the new feature. I really do not think so. Besides "picture", there are "scene" and "static". As the names suggest, the JVC performs frame-accurate dynamic HDR image matching on image. It analyzes image by image and exploits the full contrast range of the projector. To scene I did not make a difference in the first comparisons. Since Bild no brightness pumping occurs, this is my preferred setting for the time being. Then you can select whether HDR is projected on the DLA-N7 with or without a filter. With filters, the colors are visibly stronger. Especially red and green benefit from the filter effect. The light loss through the filter is approximately 8% acceptable over the no-filter HDR plot. So the filter stays in there! The color temperature can be adjusted. A color space correction has possibly been dispensed with by JVC. The "Color Space" preset is simple with Frame Adapt HDR and does not grab the menu. Pity! Because for all other modes it is still available. The operation of Frame Adapt HDR can be controlled in four steps. Auto, Low, Medium, High are the riders. This adjusts the brightness of the HDR content. I like cars and high so far best. The two other tabs render HDR content too dark for me. Frame Adapt HDR is automatically approached when an HDR movie is leaked. HDR10 and the Panasonic HDR are still available.
First picture impressions: Sully is a really tough touchstone for projectors. Because the HDR version has elements that should be up to 4000 Nits bright and are stored accordingly. While the Panasonic PQ HDR shows almost all the details, the picture is relatively dark, but works quite well with this film. HDR10 with my previous settings (350 nits clipping and Tone Mapping via Panasonic DP-UB9004) is much brighter, but swallowed above a few details. What is still relatively good in Chapter 1 in Central Park is much more obvious in Chapter 5. The displays on Broadway do not all show the full content. With Frame Adapt HDR, however, you can see all the content and the usual high light output, as my setting with 350 nits clipping also represents. Very well! In Avengers: Endgame gives a similar impression. The Panasonic HDR is a bit too dark, but shows almost all the details. My HDR10 with 350 nits clipping and tone mapping is much brighter. The colors shine more. Above all red shines that it is a force. Frame Adapt HDR now also shows all content, and is sometimes even brighter! Only the colors are not as saturated as with the 350 Nits Clipping. The color slider in the menu I have currently hoisted to + 9, which enhances the "HDR-Wow" effect without faces appear to red. The spectacular color brilliance of the 350-Nits-Clipping is not quite reached. I do not think so bad, because these color in other films are already too much of a good thing. Movies like Jurassic World, A Star is Born, and The Dark Knight do not work so well with 350-Nits clipping, because faces are too red and sometimes slightly outshine bright highlights. With Frame Adapt HDR, however, these three movies benefit from slightly lower color saturation because it makes faces look much more natural. In addition, Frame Adapt HDR also shows its strength, which offers dynamic tone mapping. Dark and light elements have even more drawing. John Wick 3 impresses completely. Rich colors, perfect tracing, and really bright highlights in the mostly dark scenes visibly differentiate the image with Frame Adapt HDR from the other two "techniques". Above all, the throughput is even better implemented in all films with Frame Adapt HDR. Dark scenes have drawings that partly no longer show Panasonic PQ HDR and 350 nits clipping (with Panasonic Tone Mapping).
First conclusion: The first positive impression with Frame Adapt HDR, which I received at the IFA 2019, is impressively confirmed in the live test comparison in my home cinema. I'm just really pleased with the result and look forward to more HDR movies from the 4K Blu-ray." "

• Like 4

and this from kris deering... I dont think can get any better validation of this from anyone ....

"Hello Everyone. I've been evaluating the upcoming firmware for the last few days and will be working on an online article about the update. Early impression is excellent! I think people using the standard static tone mapping in the JVC are in for a big treat with the frame by frame. JVC's per frame performance is MUCH better than I was expecting going in. More soon!"

• Like 4
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, betty boop said:

and this from kris deering... I dont think can get any better validation of this from anyone ....

"Hello Everyone. I've been evaluating the upcoming firmware for the last few days and will be working on an online article about the update. Early impression is excellent! I think people using the standard static tone mapping in the JVC are in for a big treat with the frame by frame. JVC's per frame performance is MUCH better than I was expecting going in. More soon!"

I thought this response from Kris about how the JVC DTM compares to the Lumagen Radiance Pro DTM was interesting.

Awesome Kris! I know you havent done much with MadVR, but I do know you have some lumagen DTM experience. Were you able to do some comparisons there? I am wondering if I may drop MadVR if the JVC DTM is 90% there for pure ease of use.

Probably in that ballpark surprisingly. 

This new firmware update is looking really good.

BTW, Congrats on your new N7 Al.

Edited by Davo1972
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davo1972 said:

I thought this response from Kris about how the JVC DTM compares to the Lumagen Radiance Pro DTM was interesting.

Awesome Kris! I know you havent done much with MadVR, but I do know you have some lumagen DTM experience. Were you able to do some comparisons there? I am wondering if I may drop MadVR if the JVC DTM is 90% there for pure ease of use.

Probably in that ballpark surprisingly. 

This new firmware update is looking really good.

BTW, Congrats on your new N7 Al.

thanks Davo, that is an interesting note indeed. good on jvc to head down this path. really makes me wonder why others havent and whether will also follow suit. I see this as pretty much a must given both lack of meta data and also how different scene by scene it can be.

I checked out lucy on uhd last night... only one word ... scrumptious ! :D 

• Like 1

Just joined the JVC NX7 owners club.   Arrived yesterday and have just installed it with the Peerless UNV mount just in time for the DTM firmware release.  (Thanks Al for the help with the Peerless mount).   

nx2.thumb.jpg.fa8194f5120863a6ea5afe7373867e80.jpg

I am coming from my trustly old Marantz VP-15S1 projector which recently died and was worried about going from a DLP to the LCOS tech.   However first impressions with the NX7 showed I had nothing to worry about.

My unit is a September 2019 build and came with firmware 2.09 installed.  It has also like a few people have mentioned light corners in the top left and top right, when there is no image but during content I haven't noticed it yet.   Convergence seems no issue.  The image is pretty sharp and has better black levels than my Marantz.   In low lamp it is quieter than my Marantz.  I played Mad Max Fury Road UltraHD which kicked the JVC into HDR mode with High lamp and it sounded nearly as loud as the Marantz on high lamp but it looked excellent, and this is just with out of the box settings.   Also played some HD Blu-Rays both the the player upscaling to 4K (tried my Oppo and Panasonic) and then with the projector doing the upscaling.  I think with the players doing the upscaling I was getting a slight lip sync issue but I am still investigating as it might be a setting with my Denon AVR.   When the players are outputting 1080p for normal blu-rays no lip sync issue.

Tried FTA from the Foxtel 4K box outputting in 4K and am very surprised and happy.  FTA HD looks great as does the Foxtel HD channels.   The Foxtel 4K channel is pretty impressive and motion with the Footy on looked very good with no noticeable blurring.   Have to get around to playing with the Apple 4K TV box.    Will have a lot to go over on the long weekend as there are so many settings.  I will get the JVC ISF calibrated after the lamp settles down in a 100 hours.   I think the image is a bit to bright in low lamp mode (o maybe i was just used to my dimming towards lamp end Marantz) so may need to lower that down.

It came with Low latency turned on.  Should i turn it off?   Also CMD is off but how do I disable all motion processing and sharpening controls which I assume is MPC as there is no off mode I can see.  Is it advisable to disable these?  I want to avoid any soap opera effect and any artificial sharpening.

Was awaiting a native 4K projector around this price point with the optics of the NX9/Sony 870ES/BenQ 970 and laser llight engine, and high ANSI but this will more than tide me over until that be comes a reality.

• Like 3

Just watched a few movies on the NX7.   Pretty impressed.  Absolutely destroys my Marantz, and much better than the Sony 570ES I saw.  I don't think I will be upgrading for a long time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oztheatre said:

I'm glad these models are going to run thru 2020. Sounds like all problems are getting ironed out which is great news.

Haven’t had any regrets preordering my N7 over a year ago. JVC are certainly doing a stellar job sorting the issues and adding in some great features. The experience I’ve had watching content on it has been great!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spizz said:

It came with Low latency turned on.  Should i turn it off?   Also CMD is off but how do I disable all motion processing and sharpening controls which I assume is MPC as there is no off mode I can see.  Is it advisable to disable these?  I want to avoid any soap opera effect and any artificial sharpening.

congrats  spizz !  mine came with latency turned off.... i can't remember but was there some word the latency can cause some banding ? or was that while back ...... many updates prior....

with MPC and CMD I just went through all options there was and put all on off is all can remember :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spizz said:

Just watched a few movies on the NX7.   Pretty impressed.  Absolutely destroys my Marantz, and much better than the Sony 570ES I saw.  I don't think I will be upgrading for a long time.

am very glad this has worked out for you. I remember your trepidation given the marantz and that was a pretty good unit too back in the day. so happy to read you have found something pretty pleased with :) 

• Like 3

A few more things I have found.  Now have 14 hours on the lamp :) 

If you are using the Foxtel IQ4 box and outputting in 4K I strongly suggest using the BT2020 filter in the projector as that is what the Fox box is outputting and the colors looks right with it in place.   I have also discovered the Iris Yellow Bug, not in material (or I haven't noticed it in material) but using the Apple TV 4K box. launching the Stan app and when the play/resume box white box comes up against a black screen with either the Iris engaged in Auto 1 or Auto 2 the white box yellows.   With the Iris in Manual there is no yellowing.   I will retest when the DTM firmware lands with someone testing saying it resolved this issue on his NX7 and Kris Deering saying it didn't with the slight issue he has on his NX9 which is interesting in itself as I thought the NX9 with its different light path was free of this issue.

Also using the Amazon app via the Apple TV 4K box results in lip sync issues for me.  I have seen a few threads on the internet about this so put it down to a Amazon/Apple TV issue for some users.  Netflix and Stan are perfect streaming 4K, HDR and HD material to the NX7.  Still haven't resolved the lip sync issue using the Oppo 103 or Panny 820 upscaling to 4K so I leave the Panny outputting 4k for the UltraHD titles and the Oppo for 1080p Blu-Ray duties.   I have seen the images from reviews showing the upscaling of the JVC to introduce jaggies etc but I haven't noticed that issue luckily or maybe im just not discerning enough ;)  

Played Stranger Things in 4K HDR from the Apple TV box and there is a ferris wheel scene at night and the colors just pop with great looking blacks.  Since I only have my Marantz as a reference I am impressed with the black levels, so I can only imagine how much better the contrast is on the JVC X7500/9500 since the NX5/7 series is supposed to be on par with the X5000 I believe.    Only the high fan noise when HDR kicks in is the only slightly disappointing factor but I am used to it with my Marantz and the DTM may allow me to run HDR in low lamp.

Also I tried streaming FTA channels via the Apple TV 4K box however the results were no where near as good as using the Foxtel IQ4 box with it set to 4K output.  Luckily no lip sync issues here.

I have now disabled the MPC which came up when turning low latency off as well as already having CMD off.  So I am happy with the motion on the JVC which was a worry coming from a DLP.

Now if only my Vicoustic panels would hurry up and arrive (6 month delay for the panels specified from the Vicoustic Project request service) I could fully enjoy my room as a total.

Edited by Spizz
  • Like 4

interesting on the stan app there spizz, not something i use and not come across that .will have to explore appletv a bit more but unlikely am gong to get time for that till probably next week something i suspect as pretty busy week ahead !  not seen any yellowing or lip synch but will keep eyes peeled :) I wonder if its device upscaling vs projector or something. I agree re upscaling and viewing anything non 4k i haven't seen anything bar what is pretty decent job jvc is doing. no jaggies or anything. just makes me wonder some odd collection of circumstances causing that if ever do see. i'll try the oppo 205 i have though its more 2nd fiddle these days to the pana 9000 i use for main duties... 

• Like 2

Al the lip sync issues are peculiar.  I have tried various settings on my Denon AVR so its only passing through, different settings on the players and no dice.   I am using Monoprice High Speed Certified cables as well from Amazon AU so don't see that as an issue.   Still investigating but my setup is working well as I've described above for now.

• Like 3

Have you tried watching Amazon content from the app on your phone then screen sharing to the Apple TV?

I had lip syncing issues with a movie I rented from Apple on the ATV but it was fine on my phone so I screen shared it and it worked great.

23 hours ago, Spizz said:

Al the lip sync issues are peculiar.  I have tried various settings on my Denon AVR so its only passing through, different settings on the players and no dice.   I am using Monoprice High Speed Certified cables as well from Amazon AU so don't see that as an issue.   Still investigating but my setup is working well as I've described above for now.

spizz, did some checking out tonight for you via appletv and going back to fta with fetch as well.

firing up the appleTV even the manu on it looks so great ! its coming up with 50p and HDR and such all loading as it should. on apple TV I checked out netflix watching john wick... not too much talking at start LOL had to skip quite a way in to find ANY dialogue. looked good. no lip synch issue here either wiht the english or russian. must say appleTV s also loooking good with netflix and even though john wick is only HD but still looks good. 

also checked some fta aps in SBS on demand ... looked sketchy for PQ... not my bitrate, as I have full 90-100mbps. just sbs bit starved I guess. OK but not for the critical videophiles :D but no lip synch in "my summer in provence" that i watched opening off. in my basic french cant see any hint of lip synch.

also checked amazon prime... looked at grand tour, the alpine A110 episode. looked very good. not a hint of lip synch at all with clarkson, may and hammond.

I decided to go back to fta, watched a bit of stuff on few different channels, is there hint of it here ?, I spent some time swapping between channels, sticking to the HD channels but no, checking double checking between channels think it's fine.

one thing am aware of is all my sources  are 4k devices. is it because oppo 103 is not 4k device ? though suprised having an issue with the pana 820. i am using the 9000 so would think if player related i woudl see same too. what is your denon AVR ? 

ps I went back to watching a bit of the shallows on uhd... STUNNING ! even though this has a 2k DI ... this just comes up so well for detail and colours... brightness etc. then checked out opening of unbroken.. lovely stuff even though blu-ray its a treat ! definitely no lip synch here and enjoyed both audio and picture :)

yes i agree across the multitude of source and media i have seen. not see any issue of jaggies or some such. so far very impressed across blu-ray, appletv, uhd and best fta can summon on the HD channels. that said am sure can find some stuff thats average or below average and going to look very ordinary but thats to be expected.

on other matters last couple of times I fired up the jvc i had noticed image had dropped position around 10mm and had to adjust back up. I checked my projector and still level in both directions. and even got ready with measuring lens position in rest before switching on,. but to relief this time switching on image was spot on ! hadn't moved or dropped. This is something that would afflict oldergen projectors now and then. And perhaps its been the wild swings of weather temps we have seen have had swung things or things settling in, who knows. something i will keep and eye on though. no something can grumble about for the minute :D

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, betty boop said:

spizz, did some checking out tonight for you via appletv and going back to fta with fetch as well.

Thanks for doing this.

firing up the appleTV even the manu on it looks so great ! its coming up with 50p and HDR and such all loading as it should. on apple TV I checked out netflix watching john wick... not too much talking at start LOL had to skip quite a way in to find ANY dialogue. looked good. no lip synch issue here either wiht the english or russian. must say appleTV s also loooking good with netflix and even though john wick is only HD but still looks good. 

Yeah no issues here either with Netflix or Stan for myself

also checked some fta aps in SBS on demand ... looked sketchy for PQ... not my bitrate, as I have full 90-100mbps. just sbs bit starved I guess. OK but not for the critical videophiles :D but no lip synch in "my summer in provence" that i watched opening off. in my basic french cant see any hint of lip synch.

Because FTA looked so poor via the AppleTV I didn't leave it long enough to look for lip sync issues but I will recheck.

also checked amazon prime... looked at grand tour, the alpine A110 episode. looked very good. not a hint of lip synch at all with clarkson, may and hammond.

Now this is very interesting as I definetly have lip sync issues with the Amazon app.  My AppleTV 4K is set for HDR 4K 50hz with match frame rate and dynamic range switched on.  Is yours set the same?

I decided to go back to fta, watched a bit of stuff on few different channels, is there hint of it here ?, I spent some time swapping between channels, sticking to the HD channels but no, checking double checking between channels think it's fine.

one thing am aware of is all my sources  are 4k devices. is it because oppo 103 is not 4k device ? though suprised having an issue with the pana 820. i am using the 9000 so would think if player related i woudl see same too. what is your denon AVR ? 

My Denon is the AVR-X7200WA.  The Oppo 103 has a 4k setting as someone one AVS was using theirs for upscaling.   I to am surprised the Panny 820 is having an issue with the lip sync upscaling.

on other matters last couple of times I fired up the jvc i had noticed image had dropped position around 10mm and had to adjust back up. I checked my projector and still level in both directions. and even got ready with measuring lens position in rest before switching on,. but to relief this time switching on image was spot on ! hadn't moved or dropped. This is something that would afflict oldergen projectors now and then. And perhaps its been the wild swings of weather temps we have seen have had swung things or things settling in, who knows. something i will keep and eye on though. no something can grumble about for the minute :D

This is so spooky.  I switched on my unit today as well and pulled up the lens menu pattern and mine to had dropped by around the same amount.    Was worried maybe the Peerless mount had moved somehow.   

Edited by Spizz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Now this is very interesting as I definetly have lip sync issues with the Amazon app.  My AppleTV 4K is set for HDR 4K 50hz with match frame rate and dynamic range switched on.  Is yours set the same?

100% no lip synch there, mine is just set to match source.... I havent specifically told it to switch anything else on :)

9 minutes ago, Spizz said:

My Denon is the AVR-X7200WA.  The Oppo 103 has a 4k setting as someone one AVS was using theirs for upscaling.   I to am surprised the Panny 820 is having an issue with the lip sync upscaling.

I wonder if this is the thing. since the oppo as we know isn't a 4k thing. but yes doest explain the 820. it might be worth checking in with other denon folk and also avs in the jvc thread to see if something any other owners experiencing. 

10 minutes ago, Spizz said:

This is so spooky.  I switched on my unit today as well and pulled up the lens menu pattern and mine to had dropped by around the same amount.    Was worried maybe the Peerless mount had moved somehow.   

oh goodness ! you know mike G was spruiking that JVC had done something here with the new range to solve this as it did afflict previous gen... but it was once in blue-moon id find and have to adjust. i hope not a regularity ! it is a flipping heavy lens though. id be sure to check with a spirit level make sure your unit is still level. i also will start monitoring this and noted down measurement at projector of lens from Top dead centre and off from left. that ways any movement in lens hopefully ill pick up.