JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

27 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

"You should buyoriginal bulb if you insist on maximum projection quality and minimum probability of any defects or premature dimming. Compatible bulbs from an alternative manufacturer are much cheaper."

hmm how would a non original lamp effect the warranty of your $10,000 pj?

sorry looks like they say it is an original lamp... thats so cheap..why?

Did you click the link, its the original bulb. Ushio is the brand you want.

Its actually impossible for them to even know you changed the bulb in the housing since the replacement is identical.

So apart from that bulb you are being charged hundreds of dollars for the plastic housing, which is a completely inert piece of plastic by the way.

Edited by Javs

3 hours ago, Spizz said:

With the NX5/7/9 that native panels are 17:9.   How does this work when using a 16:9 screen.  I have seen talk on AVS about possible light spill outside the screen.  Is this correct?

Black bars outside, the frame on your screen should take care of that. It';s about 6% of the screen width so 3% each side of the viewable picture area. I hardly noticed it, same on the Sony's. If you're screen is 3000mm wide for example, the black bars would be 90mm each side. And if you're wall is also a dark colour it's a non issue as well.

4 hours ago, Javs said:

Or get one of the original bulbs (or several) from here, for 122 Euro. And replace the bulb inside the housing yourself.

Only 6 Euro shipping.

https://www.beamer-parts.eu/projector-lamp/ushio/ushio-nsha250jk/

Great find Javs! I couldn't find anything under the lamp model number myself.

58 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Black bars outside, the frame on your screen should take care of that. It';s about 6% of the screen width so 3% each side of the viewable picture area. I hardly noticed it, same on the Sony's. If you're screen is 3000mm wide for example, the black bars would be 90mm each side. And if you're wall is also a dark colour it's a non issue as well.

Thanks for the explanation.

10 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Well it's a dud because I've had all of these machines in my showroom and that's certainly not the case at all.

The 9400 has a better lens than BOTH the JVC and Sony. You're getting caught up in pixels and getting up sold or standing a metre from the screen. Not a black level issue, just not setup properly. Young guy? no, somethings not right there.

If I hazarded a guess Rich [ considering the  focus only comments] ; convergence adjustment comes to mind . Havent seen any reviews that say anything but sharp ; this paraphrase from the stereonet one -

As a three-chip LCD, you're not only going to want to focus the lens but also use the panel-alignment controls to achieve the sharpest image. Within the panel alignment controls, you'll find the option to adjust either the 'whole-grid' or individual corners and intersections.

8 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Oh and the new '4K Lamp' for the N series projectors is....

RRP $980..... not a misprint. PK-L2618UG. :shocked:

The previous lamp was $599 RRP. The PK-L2615UG.

I see a lot of folks going for the OEM version of this lamp tbh. There's nothing 4K about the lamp anyway.

On the upside, I'm passing on an offer from JVC with a FREE lamp with the N series machines.

Oh!!!!  Come on JVC, this is seriously a case of "Screwing" the end user!!!!!   For christ sake, its  the same bloody bulb as previous gen . ?

After all the negativity JVC received due to delays in shipping then the various early issues, I’m grateful they’ve stood by their customers and have released multiple firmware updates and have invested R&D to give us DTM.

I’m glad I didn’t hold off pulling the trigger on buying my NX7, despite the various nay sayers on here and other forums stating JVC should be avoided.

I wouldn’t hesitate recommending JVC.

Re Big Picture People in Cheltenham, when I went there they were very pro Sony, kept telling me JVCs were duds. I went and viewed the NX7 myself elsewhere and was very happy with what I saw. I recommend talking to Frankston HiFi who really looked after me.

• Like 2

dandlj-  Good to see JVC adding value to their projectors by releasing DTM for their owners.    It certainly is getting people interested again in the line if they were dissuaded before.  I am now looking at picking up an NX7 since there is no new model being announced and therefore being a year off.   Also my current projector has died which has forced my hand.   I would of rather held of to get a projector at a similar price point which is both native 4k, has Sony 870, BenQ 970, or JVC NX9 style optics, and has laser light source, a better ANSI contrast, but it seems this is years away at this price point or a price point near it.

One issue that looks challenging for JVC to fix is the yellowing whites from the DI which seem to be hardware related according to info out of CEDIA direct from JVC so I hope JVC can fix this somehow for those that notice the issue.    The main concern I have is local support from JVC if things go south if an issue arises and seeing if there is a JVC projector service agent in my state as I wouldn't want to be sending it interstate for fixes if they are needed down the track.    Hopefully this doesn't happen.   

Again very happy for owners that JVC is providing this for them.

13 hours ago, Spizz said:

The main concern I have is local support from JVC if things go south if an issue arises and seeing if there is a JVC projector service agent in my state as I wouldn't want to be sending it interstate for fixes if they are needed down the track.    Hopefully this doesn't happen.   

Again very happy for owners that JVC is providing this for them.

Makes it hard I know, there are no service agents in SA at all at present. Perhaps there will be some day?

Here's the current ones though.

ACT
PRESTIGE ELCTRONICS CANBERRA PTY LTD
2/102 Gladstone St.
Fyshwick
02 6280 7788
NSW
PROTEK LISMORE
REAR OF CHANNEL 10 BALLINA RD
Lismore
02 6625 1432
NSW
WESTVIEW ELECTRONICS P/L
UNIT 1/7 PACKARD AVENUE 
CASTLE HILL
02 9659 0077
QLD
THE VIDEO FACTORY
6 PIRELLI STREET
SOUTHPORT
07 5531 2688
TAS
MARCOM WATSON
17 LOWER CHARLES STREET
LAUNCESTON
03 6323 8800
Vic
VIDEO WORKS REPAIR CENTRE
9 tower st
surrey hills
03 9898 3389
Vic
JVS - Japan Video Service
9 Loeman Crt
Burwood East
03 9570 3886
Vic
Pro HI - Tech Services
21/513-515 Maroondah Hwy
Ringwood
03 9879 1888
Vic
JLS Electronics
17 Village Avenue
Doncaster
03 9816 3113
WA
R and I Electronics
14 BOAG RD 
Morley
08 93752777
WA
Above Electronics
U4/23 Action Road
Malaga
08 9209 2283
WA
Albrand Electronics
14 Pivac Court
Kenwick
08 6101 2786
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Spizz said:

That might explain why no dealer carries JVC in SA.  Sigh.   Thanks for the info.

Yep, the few times I've had issues with JVC (once I finally convince the JVC support guy I have an issue) I have had to send to Pro Hi-Tech in Victoria. The guy there is excellent but it is still a pain and I had to wear the cost of shipping as well!!!

JVC Global need to really do something about the service/support we have here in Australia, The Service support tech that you have to deal with at JVC plays dumb as though known issues are non existent, tells you that you can not firmware upgrade you N series projector or risk voiding your waranty and the fact that the JVC Aust website still shows the X5000,7000 and 9000 as the latest projectors with no mention of the N series is astonishing to me. Those models must be 4 years old by now.

If any other manufacturer can come close to the JVC line I would jump ship so fast...….

• Like 3

hmm "sqid".. lets hope other manufactures dont come close to jvc

"VC Global need to really do something about the service/support we have here in Australia, The Service support tech that you have to deal with at JVC plays dumb as though known issues are non existent, tells you that you can not firmware upgrade you N series projector or risk voiding your waranty and the fact that the JVC Aust website still shows the X5000,7000 and 9000 as the latest projectors with no mention of the N series is astonishing to me. Those models must be 4 years old by now."

8 hours ago, Spizz said:

DTM Demonstration from the 7min mark-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8fkMKcpKI&feature=youtu.be

Thanks mate ; there was an intriguing reference to a new JVC bluescent [laser] DLP to be released November ; the LX-NZ3 was mentioned around the 6 minute mark .. Will be fascinating to see its on/off contrast needless to say 

Edited by cwt

1 hour ago, oztheatre said:

Just a heads up. the FREE lamp promo ends 30th September.

If you are thinking of buying, jump on this now, guys. After all, new lamps cost 10% of the projector's price!  ? 

Someone suggested going for an "OEM version" of the lamp. Mmm, do it at your own risk! Is it worth messing up your projector with an aftermarket lamp? I've seen misaligned mirrors due to glue coming off, blown ballasts and premature aging of the panels due to this (that shift and age anyway). I say don't do it. ? 

3 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

Which series are having their lamp's discontinued?

Rich is having a promotion for a spare ; its not that dire and good value on the replacement price . Just the sort of thing that brings a laser model into focus though ..

On the upside, I'm passing on an offer from JVC with a FREE lamp with the N series machines.

Edited by cwt

On 20/09/2019 at 12:23 PM, j19801110 said:

If you are thinking of buying, jump on this now, guys. After all, new lamps cost 10% of the projector's price!  ? 

Someone suggested going for an "OEM version" of the lamp. Mmm, do it at your own risk! Is it worth messing up your projector with an aftermarket lamp? I've seen misaligned mirrors due to glue coming off, blown ballasts and premature aging of the panels due to this (that shift and age anyway). I say don't do it. ? 

Wasnt me, I linked to the actual lamp, its not aftermarket at all, the housing apparently costs about 800 dollars after you do the conversion, for this model, or buy the real lamp and replace it yourself :)

Edited by Javs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Javs said:

Wasnt me, I linked to the actual lamp, its not aftermarket at all, the housing apparently costs about 800 dollars after you do the conversion, for this model, or buy the real lamp and replace it yourself :)

Ah ok. I didn’t see that one, Javs. All ok. ? 

I might write to JVC HQ to name and shame them for that lamp price! Enough is enough! They are taking us for idiots now! ? 

• Like 2

Could someone please confirm that the yellowing DI is an issue in THX mode, please? On previous gens, THX mode used the colour filter and some people mentioned that they couldn’t see the yellowing with bt2020 on the new units. I’m wondering if it’s due to the colour filter being in the light path. thx!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, j19801110 said:

Could someone please confirm that the yellowing DI is an issue in THX mode, please? ~

there is no THX unless getting the NX9 and I don't believe the nx9 has the yellowing ... it has different optics etc.

the yellowing is only reported on N5 & N7 units i believe. its repeatable and understand JVC knows about it and working on the issue.

14 hours ago, j19801110 said:

On previous gens, THX mode used the colour filter and some people mentioned that they couldn’t see the yellowing with bt2020 on the new units. I’m wondering if it’s due to the colour filter being in the light path. thx!

I have the previous gen with THX mode and their is no yellowing ever. I believe it is only something affecting newer gen units

• Like 1

As Al has said above the NX9 does not have the issue.  

From Mike @ AVS-

Yes they are aware.
The issue is that the lamp color is getting a little warmer (changing color).
Has to do with the optical path on the 3000/NX9 being a little different due to the much larger lens.
JVC is still working on this and are discussing a few options.

• Like 1