JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

Here is the JVC US release statement: 

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consumer/firmware_update.html

It will really interesting to see how this Frame Adapt HDR algorithm works.

If its anywhere near as good as madvr or the upcoming Envy for DTM then my X7000 will be heading to the Classifieds.

Particularly interested to hear what the likes of Manni and other N-series owners, that also use a HTPC with madvr think.

Hopefully @Javs and @wooferocau can give an appraisal as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waikis said:

Apparently N7's price will go up by USD$1000 in the US. 

Will this apply to Aus as well?

They'll price themselves out of the market if that happens here and there.

'firmware, at a price'

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IMDave said:

Here is the JVC US release statement: 

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consumer/firmware_update.html

It will really interesting to see how this Frame Adapt HDR algorithm works.

If its anywhere near as good as madvr or the upcoming Envy for DTM then my X7000 will be heading to the Classifieds.

Particularly interested to hear what the likes of Manni and other N-series owners, that also use a HTPC with madvr think.

Hopefully @Javs and @wooferocau can give an appraisal as well.

Certainly makes the entry price to a N series more palatable Dave ; will be interesting to compare the value with the Envy when its released . Of course its sort of an apples /oranges scenario with the Envy scaling ; LUT calibrating etc.

I am not surprised at the price increase of the N7[US] . JVC can only absorb so much of the "brain dead'' trade war tariff raw material cost I imagine :cool: Was excited to learn the Envy will be at Cedia and it looks to be solid for hdmi sync :)  

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/3053602-madvr-envy-anticipation-thread-22.html#post58512634

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Confirmed....the RRP of the N7 will increase by USD $1000 ?

Saw that on AVS.  The bigger question here is will the price also go up?  It wouldn't surprise me considering JVC Australia priced the NX9 at about $5k more than they should of.   Wonder how many NX9 if any have been sold locally.

4 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Saw that on AVS.  The bigger question here is will the price also go up?  It wouldn't surprise me considering JVC Australia priced the NX9 at about $5k more than they should of.   Wonder how many NX9 if any have been sold locally.

Theres been a "few" sold ......... i have "had"  3  NX9 units here... 

1 hour ago, Spizz said:

US tariffs don't apply here, so that's not a reason for JVCKenwood to raise the local price, but logic doesn't necessarily defeat greed.

While the AUD$ has fallen a little in recent months, most importers lock in an exchange rate for 12+ months with hedging, so that's not a good reason either. At least until the time to renew their hedging comes up.

On 05/09/2019 at 1:02 PM, j19801110 said:

But I’ll never buy a new JVC again. Why? 

1. Atrocious support in Oz. UK JVC support was leagues better. 

Absolutely right!

The JVC support in Oz is downright horrible.

Guess we are a smaller market that will get smaller if the support remains woeful.

Edited by Chamii
  • Like 1

Went to Big picture people in Cheltenham yesterday, there's Sony 570, Epson 9400 and Jvc N5. Sony 570 is fantastic projector, clear and very detailed, very good black, N5 also is very good projetor, but Epson 9400 is not clear, like you watch it thru haze. don't  mention the details and black level. But the price is nearly half of N5 and 40% of 570.

So, I will definitely go with SOny or JVC, questions are: should I go with 370 or 570, N5 or N7? will the differency justify the price gap? also should I wait another 2 mon-3 months to Xmas ? maybe some other  companies will joint the True 4K war? 

David is very nice guy in big picture people, he showed me the three pjs. I will definitely order from him in future.

5 minutes ago, fire said:

Went to Big picture people in Cheltenham yesterday, there's Sony 570, Epson 9400 and Jvc N5. Sony 570 is fantastic projector, clear and very detailed, very good black, N5 also is very good projetor, but Epson 9400 is not clear, like you watch it thru haze. don't  mention the details and black level. But the price is nearly half of N5 and 40% of 570.

So, I will definitely go with SOny or JVC, questions are: should I go with 370 or 570, N5 or N7? will the differency justify the price gap? also should I wait another 2 mon-3 months to Xmas ? maybe some other  companies will joint the True 4K war? 

David is very nice guy in big picture people, he showed me the three pjs. I will definitely order from him in future.

You should have got the remote and fixed the focus on the Epson. Haze? Not the case at all, not even close.

What other companies are there that might do a native 4K cinema projector? 

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, oztheatre said:

You should have got the remote and fixed the focus on the Epson. Haze? Not the case at all, not even close.

What other companies are there that might do a native 4K cinema projector? 

I don't think it's the focus issue, because  I have seen one display in Selby with same issue, even the young guy who tried to adjust the machine, said exact same thing. The picture is not crystal clear as Sony and JVC, even my wife said it's not good as my 6 years old JVC. I think it's black level issue.

4 hours ago, fire said:

I don't think it's the focus issue, because  I have seen one display in Selby with same issue, even the young guy who tried to adjust the machine, said exact same thing. The picture is not crystal clear as Sony and JVC, even my wife said it's not good as my 6 years old JVC. I think it's black level issue.

Well it's a dud because I've had all of these machines in my showroom and that's certainly not the case at all.

The 9400 has a better lens than BOTH the JVC and Sony. You're getting caught up in pixels and getting up sold or standing a metre from the screen. Not a black level issue, just not setup properly. Young guy? no, somethings not right there.

And these images are 3 metres wide, 1080P material and taken with a galaxy s6 from years ago, no tripod either. Oh and un calibrated at the time. If I can save you 4-5 thousand dollars by making 2 posts on a forum then I'll be wrapped with that. I don't care if you don't buy anything from me. Truth is truth.

Screen shots epson.jpg

• Like 1

what a fun thread... if someone is ready to, able to and wants to spend the dollars though then good for them, be it a pj, car or whatever. mind made up.

i guess looking at a pj in a retail shop is no different to looking at a tv sales area, people will be directed to models based on the profit margins.

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

i guess looking at a pj in a retail shop is no different to looking at a tv sales area, people will be directed to models based on the profit margins.

Yep that's what happens sadly. It's not about solving problems, it's about how much money they can make no matter what the truth or facts are. You know the old saying 'never trust a used car salesman' That applies in other industries too.  I think the jvc is better 'over all' but it's more than twice the price..  But what about perspective and value for money?

Oh and the new '4K Lamp' for the N series projectors is....

RRP $980..... not a misprint. PK-L2618UG. :shocked:

The previous lamp was $599 RRP. The PK-L2615UG.

I see a lot of folks going for the OEM version of this lamp tbh. There's nothing 4K about the lamp anyway.

On the upside, I'm passing on an offer from JVC with a FREE lamp with the N series machines.

5 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Oh and the new '4K Lamp' for the N series projectors is....

RRP $980..... not a misprint. PK-L2618UG. :shocked:

The previous lamp was $599 RRP. The PK-L2615UG.

I see a lot of folks going for the OEM version of this lamp tbh. There's nothing 4K about the lamp anyway.

On the upside, I'm passing on an offer from JVC with a FREE lamp with the N series machines.

Or get one of the original bulbs (or several) from here, for 122 Euro. And replace the bulb inside the housing yourself.

Only 6 Euro shipping.

https://www.beamer-parts.eu/projector-lamp/ushio/ushio-nsha250jk/

Edited by Javs

"You should buyoriginal bulb if you insist on maximum projection quality and minimum probability of any defects or premature dimming. Compatible bulbs from an alternative manufacturer are much cheaper."

hmm how would a non original lamp effect the warranty of your $10,000 pj?

sorry looks like they say it is an original lamp... thats so cheap..why?

Edited by hopefullguy