JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

On 29/06/2019 at 1:38 PM, Owen said:

G'day Miles,

It seems you are new to JVC projectors as the iris system on the N7 works just like the X series, nothing new there. No matter what iris setting you use the X series provides higher contrast for any given light output.

As I said, adjusting the iris is no free lunch and comes with problems. Using a maximum iris of -7 dims the picture significantly which is not an option for many people and it's out of the question for HDR.

There is also a little known disadvantage to running a reduced maximum iris and that is a reduction in ANSI contrast, thats not helpful. This is due to the inside of the lens iris reflecting light back into the optical system when not full open.

So, while using a reduced maximum iris will give you higher contrast ratio under certain test conditions and thereby make you feel warm and fussy, the reduction in ANSI contrast along with the significant reduction in dynamic range (and hence apparent contrast) more than outweighs any native contrast gain according to my testing.

Ok, but I should inform you that an Oppo player is no substitute for the processing that can be done on a PC. 

Don't assume the Oppo is going to do a better job of upscaling than the N7,  JVC should have addressed the shortcomings of the X series in that regard.

I don't doubt that mate, but I've been doing this long enough to realise that after quality projectors are full optimised, and a vital part of that is optimising the replay system to get the best out of each, the differences end up being small and typically insignificant. Especially when both projectors use similar technology, in this case JVC DILA. Higher contrast never gets old with any video source

What the N series does provide over the X series is a better turn key solution, especially for HDR. Not everyone wonts to get into PC video processing and ripping all their disks to hard drives, which is a requirement to get the best out of the X series.

Good for you mate, you are fortunate that you can find 4K titles that you want to view. 

Hi Owen, the Oppo 205 does do a stellar job upscaling (not sure how it compares to a PC though), however, the 'JVC auto tone mapping' was a significant reason I went with this over the Sony and even the Sim2. It is superb, and whilst it is reported to not read all 4K blurays HDR metadata, I am yet to come across a UHD title that it doesn't. This feature alone, is enough to make me consider this projector to be superior when it comes to viewing HDR titles. When the JVC notes a HDR title is being played it automatically switches to high lamp mode with the iris fully open and auto iris engaged. I only use iris -7 for SDR titles, and I don't notice a big difference in lower light output, but I am in a fully light controlled cinema room. I have always been impressed with 4K on Sony OLED TVs, especially with their processing hardware (X1 and subsequent iterations of). The 4K picture these units produce remind me of Sony's OLED TVs (not the brightness of course but the detail and colour balance) but on a much much bigger scale. The quality is addictive. If you have not seen a JVC N7 in action with 4K HDR then I do recommend taking a look for yourself. I have seen a fair few 4K projectors in action (calibrated) and I find the JVC provides a superior difference in performance with 4K HDR (at least to my eyes) for three main reasons:

1. 15 stage full glass optics system

2. Auto-tone mapping and processing

3. The native 4K chip

I look forward to hearing which way you decide to ultimately go, and the reasons why. Or whether you ultimately stick with the X series for awhile. Best of luck.

Regards,

Miles

miles the oppo certainly does a pretty good job upscaling, 

1 hour ago, Milesey74 said:

the 'JVC auto tone mapping' was a significant reason I went with this over the Sony and even the Sim2. It is superb, and whilst it is reported to not read all 4K blurays HDR metadata, I am yet to come across a UHD title that it doesn't. This feature alone, is enough to make me consider this projector to be superior when it comes to viewing HDR titles.

great to hear miles that tone mapping is working great for you :) what tone mapping settings did you end up going with to work well like this with the oppo ? have you considered the pana players wiht their tone mapping to match as they supposedly do ie in prep for jvc to finish off ? regardless. to hear its working well as it is. am yet to see these new jvc and how they go in this regard :) 

When the JVC notes a HDR title is being played it automatically switches to high lamp mode with the iris fully open and auto iris engaged.

good its picking up and switching. as a heads though I wouldnt necessarily run iris flat out open ?as since the lamp ages ... all will get is degrading performance in time ? better situation is measure wiht light meter and check what you are getting something akin to ~30fl or 100 nits is quite suitable for gains with HDR as many of us are running :) 

I only use iris -7 for SDR titles, and I don't notice a big difference in lower light output, but I am in a fully light controlled cinema room.

good clamping the down the iris here. am not sure if done but here too I woudl measure wiht a light meter. as you want something akin to 12-16 FL 14 fl nominal as per smpte and how any pro calibrator worth salt will set up. again here as lamp ages you can crank open to maintain a consistent performance rather than a degrading one getting dimmer and dimmer

I have seen a fair few 4K projectors in action (calibrated) and I find the JVC provides a superior difference in performance with 4K HDR (at least to my eyes) for three main reasons:

1. 15 stage full glass optics system

2. Auto-tone mapping and processing

3. The native 4K chip

great have had the chance to check our a few 4K projectors with HDR for reference. have no doubt with regards the above. the other great benefits in my opinion are the dual auto iris and great t hear using auto 2 :)  

• Like 1

I join you!:)

In my HT there is a fantastic NX7 and I'm really satisfied with its performance. These JVC 4k are excellent machines!

I ask you one thing: do you use dynamic iris? with these settings? 

Thanks for your suggestions

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 1:38 PM, Owen said:

G'day Miles,

It seems you are new to JVC projectors as the iris system on the N7 works just like the X series, nothing new there. No matter what iris setting you use the X series provides higher contrast for any given light output.

As I said, adjusting the iris is no free lunch and comes with problems. Using a maximum iris of -7 dims the picture significantly which is not an option for many people and it's out of the question for HDR.

Owen, as you've said many times on here, you basically need to double the native contrast numbers to see any visible difference on screen. The N series have taken perhaps a quarter of a hit in contrast to the previous X series machines, so is it even visible? Whatever the reduction is, it's not half is it? They're still great. Always been the best at black level.. so there isn't much choice left if black level is your main concern.

Arrow AV in the UK did a screen shot of interstellar from the new christie machine with 22 million to 1 native, supposedly, and did the mouse roll over thing against the JVC X9500 that Javs has, and I'd be buggered if I could see any major difference. I suspect the PC monitor is probably not helping but you'd think the difference was night and day (22 million vs 80K is 275,000% increase). You'd love that new christie but at 500K USD it's too much for us convicts.

• Like 4

a good post from rick maniac on avs, commenting on the nx7 vs some others ....

"I did more testing on my JVC NX7 projector and I think it safe to say that overall this is the best image coming from my home theater ever. I own many projectors and the new JVC NX/RS line is a very well performing projector. Coming from a laser Sony 885, I first I bought the NX5 and now my NX7. 

Overall I think my NX5 was close to my Sony 885. Some scene perform better on one projector and some scene was better on the other. A very close call. But with my NX7, I think if I have the choice I will take it over the 885. Even if the 885 is a laser and more expensive projector.

I really like the kind of image my new NX7 is throwing... It’s calm, clean, sharp, high contrast and good motion. Some of those points like motion, image clean and calme use to be more Sony projector image strength but not anymore. 

I think JVC have made a great machine. Not perfect but so good in everything that it is very hard to beat. That will be my projector until Sony or JVC made something to beat that at an “acceptable” price.. Good luck 🙂"

• Like 1

also good comment from kris deering re how the tone mapping on the jvc works

It DOES NOT adjust the expected max nits, that is what defaulting to 1000 does (sets the clip point). Think of these things as two different things. One sets the clip point for the tone map (1000 nits in this case) and the other is telling the player how much range the display has to use (so for default 350 nits). So this is like the multiplier stuff that we used to refer to with the Arve curves, in this case if you had a 100 nits on the projector, you are using a 3.5x multiplier. If you don't adjust the slider, you are just always using a curve that is 1000 nits (if no metadata to change that) and a 3.5x multiplier. This will work really well overall a LARGE amount of titles, but some will be need a lower or higher multiplier. There is a reason that Panasonic chose 350 and 500 nits, they cover most of the titles pretty well. I might have done 300 and 550 personally, but it is easy to adjust the default.

As for finding out dynamic range on a per title basis, you can get some of that info from the MadVR threads. That is what I was doing for a long time when I was using the Radiance Pro BEFORE they went to dynamic tone mapping that analyzes the frames.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rick on avs also provides some good companions of Nx7 vs nx5 he had and x750 prior...

I got time to play with my new NX7 this morning and make some comparaison with my NX5... Well so far far good, no surprise, the NX5 and NX7 difference is exactly what other members have said, the black floor is better, not that much but enough to be noticeable. The NX5 black floor was a tad better than my Sony 885 but with the NX7 black it remind me my old JVC x750. Also, the most obvious avantage to me is the image depth. I supposed it is related to better contrast, the NX7 image is less flat than the NX5. Not that the NX5 image is flat, not at all. It’s just the NX7 is doing better.

Also like others mention, I really like the rec2020 filter. The light loss is minimal and it help the colours. I really like the result.

Last but not least, my NX7 unit is a tad sharper than my NX5 but I think this is more related to lens variation than anything less...

So that’s about it for now, I will report back if I have something else to add...

• Like 2

I noticed there have not been many comments on gaming on the N7.

While I am not a "gamer", I do play Star Wars Battlefront II on a regular basis.

In fact, now I play almost exclusively on the N7 as it feels less immersive playing on a TV.

The game is stunning!!!

I sometimes get distracted admiring the scenery. ?

There is no HDR metadata when the info menu is brought up but the auto tone mapping does a great job.

Nothing is missed in the shadows and the bright specular highlights give it a very realistic feeling.

I have to admit that even at my average level of play there is a noticeable lag when compared to playing on a Samsung TV but this is more than compensated by the viewing experience.

Also noticed that my old SD Bluray rips look very good on the N7.

Love the contrast. This is a bonus as I didn't expect good contrast from a projector.

It maybe lower than previous models but think I am happy to take HDR with tone mapping + native 4k over better contrast.

It would be informative to hear from those who have had previous models with better contrast

Edited by Chamii
  • Like 4

On 06/07/2019 at 9:21 AM, Chamii said:

It would be informative to hear from those who have had previous models with better contrast

posted some thoughts from manni above, I note ralph potts who does movie reviews for avs has picked up a n7 as well ? 

also we have dave vaughn who had x750 (x7500) prior....

I have 20 hours on my RS2000 and no issues what so ever.

I haven't spent a ton of time pixel peeping...I've just been watching an enjoying. My son wanted to watch "Dances with Wolves" and so we watched the 2010 Blu-ray release of the Extended Edition---geezus, that's a long film. 3 hours and 53 minutes! Regardless, there were some simply stunning visuals throughout the film, although some low-light scenes could look a little rough (mainly of added footage). We have a busy holiday weekend with family in town, so I'm sure we'll watch a movie or two as a group and it's hopefully a movie that I know more intimately so I can compare to my old X750R. 

Regardless, I'm pleased thus far with the "upgrade," but it's not a night and day difference. The image has more detail for sure and looks more "stable," particularly in the backgrounds. Contrast looks slightly better...in fact, my wife commented that the picture looks "bigger" and asked if I had snuck in a larger screen when she wasn't home (the answer is "no," but maybe it's something I should consider wink.gif ). The uncalibrated image (outside of setting contrast and brightness) is extremely good to the naked eye. It wouldn't surprise me if it only needs some minor adjustments when all is said and done. I'll post more once I get more hours on it.

• Thanks 1

On 06/07/2019 at 9:21 AM, Chamii said:

The game is stunning!!!

I sometimes get distracted admiring the scenery. ?

There is no HDR metadata when the info menu is brought up but the auto tone mapping does a great job.

Nothing is missed in the shadows and the bright specular highlights give it a very realistic feeling.

I have to admit that even at my average level of play there is a noticeable lag when compared to playing on a Samsung TV but this is more than compensated by the viewing experience.

Good to hear Chamii ; you will have to buy a game with HDR just to compare :) Is there a menu setting to drop the lag time like a few series ago ? You can also try turning of MPC and clear motion drive if the lag mode doesn't bypass them.

In addition, a low delay mode optimum for games etc. is also newly installed. In the same mode it reduces the display delay of PC signals and games and boosts response performance to quick operation.

I've had my N7 for almost 4 weeks now and I'm loving it.

Thankfulky haven't experienced any of the issues that some have reported. There is one thing though. It seems like the fan noise when the N7 goes into high lamp mode watching 4K HDR content is louder than it should be, especially as I've read reviews and feedback from hands on experience that the projector is relatively quite in high lamp mode compared to previous JVCs, though I wouldn't know as this is my first home theatre projector. My projector is ceiling mounted, and the seating is below it.

I'm usually cranking the sound system so it's not noticeable, however it's particularly noticeable during quite or silent kind of scenes. Sometimes my ears just phase it out, but I'm not sure if it should be that loud. 

On another note, at some point I'd like to have the projector professionally calibrated. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Sydney/Western Sydney region?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, betty boop said:

High fan is not quiet on any prior jvc I know off, 

re calibrated check the calibration sub forum, perhaps start a thread asking ...

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case, and normal sound from the fan in high lamp mode.  The fan's most likely fine then I guess, considering there's no noticeable fan sound when watching non-4K SDR content, so there's probably no issue with the fan, and I'm worrying for no reason.

I’ve got an NX7 and know of a couple of other people on this forum who do too. We’ve all noticed the fan in high lamp on quiet scenes. It’s normal and you either get used to it or just run low lamp all the time.

If you PM me I can recommend a calibrator.

Cheers

• Like 3

On 07/07/2019 at 5:08 PM, cwt said:

Good to hear Chamii ; you will have to buy a game with HDR just to compare :) Is there a menu setting to drop the lag time like a few series ago ? You can also try turning of MPC and clear motion drive if the lag mode doesn't bypass them.

The game (SW BF2) is in HDR but no Max CLL or MaxFALL in the info menu.

The projector will only do auto tone mapping when it detects HDR content.

I have the HDR Forza games ( Motorsport 7, Horizon 3 and 4) which also look fantastic.

HDR on Gears of War 4 is meh!

There is an option in the menu to drop lag time called  " Low latency (on/off) " .

Although I have enabled low latency I didn't notice a difference between on and off. ( Maybe I need to switch it off and play more )

I have turned off MPC and CMD.

As a rule, I like to have minimum processing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rohaan said:

On another note, at some point I'd like to have the projector professionally calibrated. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Sydney/Western Sydney region?

Will PM you on this topic.

• 1 month later...
On 17/06/2019 at 9:01 PM, waikis said:

First bar issue 126h in (v2.04)

https://streamable.com/rdj1h

An interesting thing, at first I was going to make a gif out of the issue. However, the gif's lower refresh rate actually stabilised the video i.e. the menu doesnt flicker in the gif. I wonder if the issue is with 4k panel having refresh rate problem.

Just an update on this, I'm now at 350h for my N7 and haven't had any more bar issues ever since I updated to v2.07 : )

• Like 2

On 18/08/2019 at 6:17 PM, Michael391 said:

Got the green prison bars across the the screen today. Right at the end of avengers end game during the credits. 500 odd hours on v2.01 so might be time to update the fw

Do you have the 3D emitter plugged in? I pulled mine out when I first got the bars as the menu looked like 3D had kicked in ... I haven’t had the bars since. I just plug it in when needing 3D.

Do you have the 3D emitter plugged in? I pulled mine out when I first got the bars as the menu looked like 3D had kicked in ... I haven’t had the bars since. I just plug it in when needing 3D.

No I don’t. So I can’t try that at all.
Hasn’t come back since Sunday, but I’ll do the firmware update soon and hopefully never see it again......

On 20/08/2019 at 3:16 PM, Michael391 said:

No I don’t. So I can’t try that at all.
Hasn’t come back since Sunday, but I’ll do the firmware update soon and hopefully never see it again......

2.8 is out

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/

• Like 1