JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

Just now, cindernat said:

Takes 10 mins and note that next start up will take longer, mine was about 5 mins to boot up after upgrade.

Thanks.

That's good to know as I no doubt would panic a little when it takes more than a few minutes.

1 minute ago, Chamii said:

Thanks.

That's good to know as I no doubt would panic a little when it takes more than a few minutes.

I know I did! But it was all good.

I also printed out the instructions on the JVC site which told me what the various combinations of flashing lights on the unit meant.

Edited by cindernat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree Rich...the PJ will be the absolutely last purchase I make....

All the issues with the current crop of JVCs doesn’t inspire any confidence...

Just maybe they will have a residential laser version of the NX9 by then...

24 minutes ago, Andy0217 said:

Totally agree Rich...the PJ will be the absolutely last purchase I make....

All the issues with the current crop of JVCs doesn’t inspire any confidence...

Just maybe they will have a residential laser version of the NX9 by then...

you cant stop progerss.... by the time lasers are common place... we'll have something else thats latest and greatest :D

its how OEMS make their till ticking over so cant blame them to keep tempting us with the next best thing just around the corner.

in the mean time have to just buy something and keep enjoying .... 

It's a real love hate relationship with this projector.
Just when I thought I was out, it pulled me back in

Installed block out curtains to the HT yesterday.

OMG!!!
John Wick and Life of Pi looked great.
The Jedi fallen the order game-play clip was sooo good on the N7
I think it's also because it's my first projector.
The regrets I had 2 days ago about moving to a N7 projector melted away.

As long as the green/blue bar issue occurs every 100 hours or so with no long term consequences I think it's an issue I might be able to live with.

Watched two episodes of Black Mirror ( Dolby Vision ) on the N7 and the Z9D.
While I preferred the picture quality on the TV but the overall experience is a lot better on the N7.

I emailed my dealer about the blue/green bar issue but decided to drive all the way to Auburn to visit the store in person to ask if it was ok for me to update the firmware to 2.07

I was quite sad and disappointed as I found them to be helpful at the time I made the purchase.

Judging by the conversation we had, I doubt they would forward my email to JVC.

He told me that its a problem with the projector if the issue is seen when the menu is brought up.
I have to admit that I had not tried this and will do so if/when it happens again.

Thereafter, he asked me to inform JVC directly and log the issue with them saying that customers have more clout and JVC is slow to respond to dealers.

He said that dealers are the first point of contact if the company does not have its own office in the country.
He then asked if about the change log of the new firmware. (I have no idea. Does anybody?)

Now that I got the go ahead from my dealer I plan to update the FW today an inform JVC about the issue tomorrow.

Hoping that my dealer or JVC help sort this out.

Sadly, I am going to hold off on the calibration for now.

14 minutes ago, Chamii said:

Thereafter, he asked me to inform JVC directly and log the issue with them saying that customers have more clout and JVC is slow to respond to dealers.

He said that dealers are the first point of contact if the company does not have its own office in the country.
He then asked if about the change log of the new firmware. (I have no idea. Does anybody?)

Don't think that's correct at all, and not the experience I had with my dealer in Melb.

The change log might just mean the fixes included in the new firmware.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chamii said:

I emailed my dealer about the blue/green bar issue but decided to drive all the way to Auburn to visit the store in person to ask if it was ok for me to update the firmware to 2.07

I was quite sad and disappointed as I found them to be helpful at the time I made the purchase.

Judging by the conversation we had, I doubt they would forward my email to JVC.

He told me that its a problem with the projector if the issue is seen when the menu is brought up.
I have to admit that I had not tried this and will do so if/when it happens again.

THIS is all utter rubbish. the main responsibility is with retailer. any retailer taking steps back and pushing you to importer is copping out on their responsibilities ! can no one see that they are trying to wash hands off you ! dont stand for it !  dont be sent pillar to post. ! 

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees#who-to-claim-a-remedy-from

remind them  of your rights under consumer law. point to the ACCC website. see below !  note specifically

The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.

You can claim a remedy directly from the manufacturer or importer if the goods do not meet one or more of the following consumer guarantees:

"Approaching the retailer or manufacturer

The retailer who sold you the product or service cannot refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer. You can approach the manufacturer or importer directly, however, you will only be entitled to recover costs from them, which include an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss. You cannot demand a repair, replacement or refund from the manufacturer."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cindernat said:

Don't think that's correct at all, and not the experience I had with my dealer in Melb.

The change log might just mean the fixes included in the new firmware.

indeed ! I keep telling folk it is SO important with things like projectors who you buy from.  after sales is a  very important thing when it comes to projectors. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chamii said:

Installed block out curtains to the HT yesterday.

OMG!!!
John Wick and Life of Pi looked great.
The Jedi fallen the order game-play clip was sooo good on the N7

good to hear you are enjoying and seeing what capable off :) 

7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

THIS is all utter rubbish. the main responsibility is with retailer. any retailer taking steps back and pushing you to importer is copping out on their responsibilities ! can no one see that they are trying to wash hands off you ! dont stand for it !  dont be sent pillar to post. ! 

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees#who-to-claim-a-remedy-from

remind them  of your rights under consumer law. point to the ACCC website. see below !  note specifically

The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.

You can claim a remedy directly from the manufacturer or importer if the goods do not meet one or more of the following consumer guarantees:

The retailer who sold you the product or service cannot refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer. You can approach the manufacturer or importer directly, however, you will only be entitled to recover costs from them, which include an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss. You cannot demand a repair, replacement or refund from the manufacturer."

Absolutely. A common tactic that needs to be regularly called out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Chamii said:

Thats the reason. People who have never seen a quality projector are always impressed when they do, TV's can't compete.

JVC projectors have been providing sensational images for many years. The new models trade off contrast for more pixels which isn't helpful for the vast majority of movie content IMHO.

When it comes to firmware updates it's wise to wait and see what issues are addressed by the update and what the negative side effects there may be.

Unless the update is proven to address a problem you have and not introduce new issues hold off.

I would be inclined to return the projector and get a full refund and buy again when the all the issues are resolved in a satisfactory way.

As it stands there are unresolved issues that render the product unfit for purpose so a refund is in order.

Edited by Owen

I’ve got an NX7 and love it. No issues so far. The picture is outstanding, often takes my breath away when watching content. Getting it calibrated at the end of this month.

Agree that a good dealer is a must just in case you need support.

I suppose the good news is that the various blue bar issues are being seen by a fair few people across the world, it would be harder if just one or two people had it. JVC have stated its a known issue and are working on it - people have sent JVC example clips that cause the issue along with their settings and what equipment they have connected.

• Like 2

Don't think that's correct at all, and not the experience I had with my dealer in Melb.   The change log might just mean the fixes included in the new firmware. 

The fixes (&/or enhancements) from the firmware would be documented in the firmware’s release notes.  

The change log would instead be an output of JVC’s software change management process applied to your specific instance of a JVC N7 projector and kept in JVC’s maintenance database.

In other words they would look up the serial number of your N7 in their maintenance database and determine what version of firmware is installed on your machine so they can keep track of its issues.

For a known “buggy” machine, there is a distinct benefit in JVC knowing what firmware versions are installed on the machines out in the field against not knowing I.e. by owners installing firmware themselves. If JVC knows, they can keep track of issues reported from the field against firmware versions installed, JVC can determine if there is a relationship and assist them in bug identification & rectification.

Furthermore just because they fix one bug doesn’t necessarily mean they have not introduced another despite regression testing.

The big assumption with all this is if JVC have good software change management processes within their maintenance management system in place.

Maybe not. I don’t work for JVC nor do I work in the audio/video industry so I don’t know how this industry goes about these sort of things.

In my opinion JVC have a “buggy” machine in the N7 & need to obtain as much information from the field as possible if they are having trouble resolving the issues, and thus I agree with firmware fixes done at JVC and logged until the problems are sorted. Only after that, should firmware installs be performed at home by the end users.

Inconvenient, yes, but it is the quickest & most efficient way of resolving these issues.

I note comment below from gil1 re v2.07 firmware. and that fixes the colour space issue... so now 12 bit and 4:4:4 so no more grumbles there ? I presume ?  this was one major bugbear I recall... so folks should be pleased with this ? ie no longer limiting to 8bit for 4:4:4 which I believe was issue ?  

"Hy guys, N7 firmware 2.07 with oppo 12bit 4:4:4 and jvc 4:4:4 setting, it’s ok!!!!"

attachment.php?attachmentid=2577900&d=15

attachment.php?attachmentid=2577902&d=15

attachment.php?attachmentid=2577904&d=15

• Like 1

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

I note comment below from gil1 re v2.07 firmware. and that fixes the colour space issue... so now 12 bit and 4:4:4 so no more grumbles there ? I presume ?  this was one major bugbear I recall... so folks should be pleased with this ? ie no longer limiting to 8bit for 4:4:4 which I believe was issue ?  

"Hy guys, N7 firmware 2.07 with oppo 12bit 4:4:4 and jvc 4:4:4 setting, it’s ok!!!!"

attachment.php?attachmentid=2577900&d=15

attachment.php?attachmentid=2577902&d=15

attachment.php?attachmentid=2577904&d=15

Afraid not ....read     Manni,s reply......still DOES NOT fix the issue!    Still internally processed  incorrectly .

Edited by wooferocau

5 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Afraid not ....read     Manni,s reply......still DOES NOT fix the issue!    Still internally processed  incorrectly .

I see... as per manni below... hopefully we do indeed have sent across to jvc as he suggests.... 

This is more likely to be visible on games and desktop apps, and unlikely to be noticeable on video content, except in very unusual situations, and only if the film is very boring smile.gif.

On 10/06/2019 at 11:04 AM, betty boop said:

Thanks.

Good to know.

Lesson learned.

I assumed that a reputable manufacturer like JVC will expect a dealer to have solid reputation before a dealership is given.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chamii said:

Thanks.

Good to know.

Lesson learned.

I assumed that a reputable manufacturer like JVC will expect a dealer to have solid reputation before a dealership is given.

product review.com is your friend :) 

• Like 1

Rang up JVC in the morning.  Helpful but was told to connect the source directly to the projector and to take it to a local authorized repair store if it reoccurs so they can debug.

Hope I have no need for this as I am in no mood to take the projector down and put it up again.

I was busy with work and didn't get around to updating the FW until today.

Update was a breeze.

I think JVC has the LED light up sequence  backwards on the instruction PDF.?

I decided to go ahead with the calibration and simply enjoy the projector and deal with the problem if it happens again.

As a first time projector owner I have a real dumb question..............

Do you guys cover the lens after watching or leave it open ?

I can see some dust on it already.

Wonder why it isn't motorized ?

Edited by Chamii
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chamii said:

Rang up JVC in the morning.  Helpful but was told to connect the source directly to the projector and to take it to a local authorized repair store if it reoccurs so they can debug.

Hope I have no need for this as I am in no mood to take the projector down and put it up again.

I was busy with work and didn't get around to updating the FW until today.

Update was a breeze.

I think JVC has the LED light up sequence  backwards on the instruction PDF.?

I decided to go ahead with the calibration and simply enjoy the projector and deal with the problem if it happens again.

As a first time projector owner I have a real dumb question..............

Do you guys cover the lens after watching or leave it open ?

I can see some dust on it already.

Wonder why it isn't motorized ?

dont worry re dust. its irrelevant.

from someone who has owned both with covered and uncovered epson and also including JVC previous uncovered and current ivc with electronic lens shutter.

not having lens cover is one less thing to fail ! 

• Thanks 1