JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

its tail cant be pinned down any further as to what is causing it ? must be something ? cant just be randomly appearing some and disappearing or something is it ? :)

Dont know ...i dont think JVC know either at this stage or they would of fixed it!     JVC are on track  to have a projector release  with the most firmware revisions  ever!!  ?

Could be wrong ( and hope  it is wrong) but there are suggestions the issues stem from "Hardware" and the firmwares are "trying" to offer a "Band Aid" fix!

Time will tell. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Dont know ...i dont think JVC know either at this stage or they would of fixed it!     JVC are on track  to have a projector release  with the most firmware revisions  ever!!  ?

Could be wrong ( and hope  it is wrong) but there are suggestions the issues stem from "Hardware" and the firmwares are "trying" to offer a "Band Aid" fix!

Time will tell. 

hope those who notice provide adequate feedback to jvc capturing exact conditions / equipment / source media etc so can understand and get on top of it. makes life difficult for them otherwise.

understand with the updates. but atleast they are coming out to tackle stuff. better than just releasing a new model and forgetting about the old :D  which I think would have more chance of Peeving off entire customer base... 

2 minutes ago, Andy0217 said:

How about in Melbourne’s west or close to the CBD?

I have ave my eye on the NX9 once my build is complete, 

Cheers, 

None that I know of, Clef Hifi only have the NX-5 (they're South Melb). It's worth the trek out the other side (I'm from your side of town) to view that one you actually want. In saying that, don't know who has the NX-9.

1 hour ago, Andy0217 said:

How about in Melbourne’s west or close to the CBD?

I have ave my eye on the NX9 once my build is complete, 

Cheers, 

Here is a picture showing the NX9 playing Guardians Of the Galaxy from a 1080p Blu-Ray-

http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/max/835120/img-8810_944568.jpg

Click on the image to expand.  Sure looks nice.

Edited by Spizz

Thanks to you all...appreciate the info and that image does look good, 

I should have the HT completed by Christmas and I only have the SSP and PJ to get...

All the other gear is in boxes and it’s killing me, but I must soldier on ?

I must get the good wife to load some pics of the progress when I get some free time, 

Cheers Andrew 

• Like 1

How do these new JVCs compare to the X7900.

Worth the premium?

Ive been looking , but cant seem to find any direct comparisons. Would love to see a  comparison of

x7900 vs N5 or n7 in various sources in a light controlled room.

Alternatively can someone please point me to a comparison.

On 01/06/2019 at 10:15 PM, Andy0217 said:

I should have the HT completed by Christmas and I only have the SSP and PJ to get...

Hold off buying anything until you need it. Models change, problems arise.. Sometimes they get fixed too ?

• Like 1

It happened again !!!

FW 2.04

It was always occurred when the NVDIA shield was the source.
However, that's my most used source so it could still be a matter of probability.

I had initially posed the blue bars when it first occurred. I followed the advice given by some members and was trouble free for a while but unfortunately I had the screen go green on me a few times. I have attached the initial blue bars and the first time the green screen happened as I didn't take pic every time it occurred.
Once again, power cycling made the issue go away but now I am worried.

I have 100 hours on the projector and booked a calibration but now I have second thoughts.
I am very very happy with the picture and was really enjoying the projector and hope JVC has a fix.

I  didn't worry too much about the blue bars when it first appeared as I was waiting for a FW fix and was happily enjoying my projector.

This is my first projector and I was waiting for JVC to fix the issue as I remember the experience I had with Sony when they took a long time to fix Dolby Vision on the Z9D.
Sony rewarded the wait, as even after 2 years, it's implementation of DV is one of the best today.

To be honest, if I known about this problem beforehand I would not have purchased a N7.
I changed my plan for my HT from a Z9F (or Z9G now ?) with a drop down screen + pixel shift projector to a N7 projector with a fixed screen when I pre-ordered the N7 last year.

I hope JVC will stand behind their product and find a solution as it's not exactly a cheap projector and when customers make a purchase decision like myself, it has implications beyond just the projector.
It was the combination of a solid reputation of good black levels, auto tone mapping and native 4k that made me switch to a  native 4k JVC projector.

I informed my dealer about the problem as JVC Australia seems to be asleep.

I can't decide if I should get the projector calibrated in the coming weeks.

20190520_222623.jpg

20190528_184843.jpg

20190529_184436.jpg

4 minutes ago, Chamii said:
It was always occurred when the NVDIA shield was the source.
However, that's my most used source so it could still be a matter of probability.

has anyone pointed to these issueshappening wiht anything else as source ?  ie regular uhd/blu-ray players appletv and such ?  ie not htpc/nvidia shield and such ? 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

has anyone pointed to these issueshappening wiht anything else as source ?  ie regular uhd/blu-ray players appletv and such ?  ie not htpc/nvidia shield and such ? 

I haven't had the blue bars issue etc. and my sources are Oppo UDP-203 and Apple TV going through an AudioControl Maestro M5 AV processor via a 15m Kordz PRS3 Active Optical Cable.

From the looks of it on AVS it appears most people affected are using nVidia Shield and/or Denon/Marantz AV receivers. I do wonder if its an HDMI issue with certain gear or cables, but it seems so random.

@Chamii, I don't think you have anything to lose by updating your firmware to 2.07. Give that a shot and see what happens. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

I haven't had the blue bars issue etc. and my sources are Oppo UDP-203 and Apple TV going through an AudioControl Maestro M5 AV processor via a 15m Kordz PRS3 Active Optical Cable.

From the looks of it on AVS it appears most people affected are using nVidia Shield and/or Denon/Marantz AV receivers. I do wonder if its an HDMI issue with certain gear or cables, but it seems so random.

@Chamii, I don't think you have anything to lose by updating your firmware to 2.07. Give that a shot and see what happens. 

I have a Marantz and use the nVidia Shield (probably my main device as well as Foxtel IQ4). 

I've never had any bar issue on 2.04 or 2.07. I have the the issue twice now where the NX-7 locks up after being turned on (and is non-responsive except for 'off'), and has to be power cycled. I have been in touch with my dealer who forwarded my email onto JVC who replied within the day with some suggestions next time it happens. As it turns out it hasn't happened since then (both time were on the 2.04 firmware). In saying that there were 3 weeks between the first and second occurrence.

They did end by saying that it might have to be brought in for service if their fixes don't help. I'm hoping not, that would be a massive pain. Also, it's been calibrated so would hate to get a new one and have to pay for that again.

Other than that, pleased with the quick response from JVC, and very happy with the NX-7.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

good to hear.

yes just wondering as am sure ivc is too. what combination results in this error coming to surface. clearly its not with everything.... is it material, gear. for those experiencing its good to pass back content and circumstances.... as will help jvc no end to try replicate. unless they can...be no hope in fixing. intermittent and unexplainable... ie not attributable to any sort of cause are very hard or near impossible to fix as clearly cant understand.

@cindernat you run marantz dont you ? wondering if have seen said phenomenon as yet ? if have under what conditions ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cindernat said:

I have a Marantz and use the nVidia Shield (probably my main device as well as Foxtel IQ4). 

I've never had any bar issue on 2.04 or 2.07

ha was just thinking how yours was going. you are bang right on it :)

2 minutes ago, cindernat said:

Other than that, pleased with the quick response from JVC, and very happy with the NX-7.

good to hear. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

I can't be certain but I think it was reported with a Panasonic blu-ray player on avforms but I agree with you that in almost all cases that I can recall it's occurred with a HTPC or NVIDIA shield.

Wonder if the HTPCs had NVIDIA GPUs.?

However, given that it's only the current generation of JVCs that have the issue I think the onus might still be on JVC to fix it.

• Like 1

Next time (actually hoping there isn't one) I will pay more attention. 2nd time was definitely the nVidia Shield. 1st time I can't remember. I also have Pana 9000, ATV, Foxtel and PS4.

But my issue may or may not be related to the blue/green bar issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

I do have the dreaded combination of a Marantz (SR6013) and NVIDIA shield but it only happens with the JVC N7.

No issues with my Sony Z9D that is connected to the same equipment and 3x the distance away upstairs using a similar (but longer) Ruipro optical cable.

You are right it's so random and difficult to pinpoint. My only worry is that it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Wanted to address this before I had it calibrated.

I am waiting for a reply from my dealer as I didn't want to perform a FW update myself without informing them.

BTW I wish we could just update the JVC projector directly  using the Ethernet port like we do in every other device.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chamii said:

I am waiting for a reply from my dealer as I didn't want to perform a FW update myself without informing them.

BTW I wish we could just update the JVC projector directly  using the Ethernet port like we do in every other device.

The firmware update is a piece of cake to do, just need to download the files and put them on a USB drive and plug it into the projector. I've done it twice now, no issues.

1 minute ago, Davo1972 said:

The firmware update is a piece of cake to do, just need to download the files and put them on a USB drive and plug it into the projector. I've done it twice now, no issues.

Takes 10 mins and note that next start up will take longer, mine was about 5 mins to boot up after upgrade.

1 minute ago, Davo1972 said:

Thanks.

USB 3 formatted as FAT32 ?