JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

My opinion is that the whole "New"  N/NX  series is a complete failure !   The product should never have been released in its unstable state as is at present.  

People are spending BIG money on these, they "Should" be getting a product that is providing enjoyment and trouble free operation.  We all understand as a consumer that products can and do have issues from time to time, BUT in this case its just one fault after the other .

I think JVC should go back tot the drawing board and revise/refresh the next release with the priority being on reliable/trouble free use .

Id say they have lost a huge number of customers with the latest release..

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

I think JVC should go back tot the drawing board and revise/refresh the next release with the priority being on reliable/trouble free use .

Absolutely ; if the entry price wasn't enough :blush: . For problems  that keep happening so late in deployment after the JVC engineers have done their due diligence makes me wonder about their oem suppliers quality to an extent . Its not the 1st time something from them has not been up to snuff - the early jvc x series lamps a notable example ...

Anyway just 2.0c of naff ramblings ;)

sorry i dont like to point out the obvious but if people are having problems just get a refund and buy when/if ever 100% working projector is released.. from the posts jvc know there is a problem and have had 6 months? to fix it.

aust consumer guaranty

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wooferocau said:

I expect most customers already own a JVC projector so there is no real pressure on them to buy anther one until all the issues are addressed.

The BIG issue for me has nothing to do with any of the "problems" reported to date. Even if none of these annoying little defects existed the native contrast ratio of these native 4K units is simply not good enough for them to be even considered for purchase IMHO.

I expect it will be 2 years or more before the 4K models will even equal the native contrast of the better E-Shift models, let alone improve on them. Until they can I see no reason to buy anything, especially another brand that also cant deliver acceptable contrast and has its own set of problems.

Owners of new JVC models should be entitled to a full refund under consumer law unless the issues are resolved, the product is unfit for purpose as it stands.

• Like 2

To the N series owners, do you have bright corners?

I was hoping it would improve over time, but 60 hours in the corners are way worse than my old x7500. 

Edited by waikis

Very good tear down of the N series by C4H:

http://cine4home.de/exklusiver-tear-down-die-neue-jvc-n-serie-dla-n5-n7-nx9-in-der-dissektion/?fbclid=IwAR3QXQRbg4vXKLYGaZxSSrS8gFqwwZTlbybj6dWfE9QCPctJq3NkCkTh44k

"We were also surprised by a potential second light entry, which appeared behind a tin lid. Apparently, the Lightengine is also designed for a dual light source (laser / LED), which is not (yet) used in the case of the N series."

:0

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, waikis said:

Very good tear down of the N series by C4H:

http://cine4home.de/exklusiver-tear-down-die-neue-jvc-n-serie-dla-n5-n7-nx9-in-der-dissektion/?fbclid=IwAR3QXQRbg4vXKLYGaZxSSrS8gFqwwZTlbybj6dWfE9QCPctJq3NkCkTh44k

"We were also surprised by a potential second light entry, which appeared behind a tin lid. Apparently, the Lightengine is also designed for a dual light source (laser / LED), which is not (yet) used in the case of the N series."

:0

google translated :) 

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcine4home.de%2Fexklusiver-tear-down-die-neue-jvc-n-serie-dla-n5-n7-nx9-in-der-dissektion%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3QXQRbg4vXKLYGaZxSSrS8gFqwwZTlbybj6dWfE9QCPctJq3NkCkTh44k

one thing for sure, am never popping the lid on something like this :D so good to see tear down :)

• Like 1

Seems like the industry is moving towards laser.

Not sure what to feel about that to be honest. It's too costly to replace them once it's dim, so the resale value drops immensely. 

Plus you have to deal with JVC Australia to replace the lasers... good luck with that.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, waikis said:

Seems like the industry is moving towards laser.

Not sure what to feel about that to be honest. It's too costly to replace them once it's dim, so the resale value drops immensely. 

Plus you have to deal with JVC Australia to replace the lasers... good luck with that.

will come in good time and will become affordable too I guess ... probably always at a premium over bulbs :D 

the economics dont stand up for me right now given the massive premium. ive only cracked over 1000 mark in 3 + years at this rate be 15 years :D before need to replace a lamp. projector tech seems to move at a faster rate than lamps wearing out given i tend to replace projectors every 3 or so years. 

lasers will wear out and need replacing but if not wearing out the lamps be unlikely ever wear out a laser :D have seen some with replaceable modules but realistically cost to change the module and given age by then possible change projector is better option in any case. 

laser does have some benefits eg greater output capability, a more stable look, perhaps a bit more of a punch to image or something. and some level of stability over hours but still needs calibration and still can drift and such, and not particularly cheap or small in form factor now....  so not complete panacea :) 

ps have no doubt the z1 replacement or model below, likely coming in n9 chasis next... with laser...

also designed for a dual light source (laser / LED)

As long as its not a low nit LED ;) Laser it is . No wonder the current prices exist ; subsidising future models with 2 modular light paths. This generation will be around for a long time and costs will amortise eventually ..

I am interested to know if any one has purchased a JVC N5 or N7 and not having any problems with theme. I am considering purchasing a new projector to replace my 9 year JVC HD550.The 550 has an purple band down the left side about 6 inches wide so after putting up with this for over a year it is time to replace it. I am also considering Sony 570 but JVC would be my first choice.

8 hours ago, dandlj said:

There are 3 NX7 owners in Melbourne that I know of and none of us have had issues.

The picture it puts out is amazing! I would highly recommend.

Same, despite all the doom and gloom about the native 4K JVC projectors I haven't had any issues at all, apart from the yellowing of whites when using the dynamic iris (which is hardly noticeable under normal viewing conditions). I have about 140 hours on the lamp on my N7 and have enjoyed every moment watching content on it. In fact I'm re-watching a whole lot of content because the image it puts out looks so good.

It's been a while since I've been to the movies, but I went and saw Avengers: Endgame at Hoyts last Saturday and I was shocked at the poor contrast performance in low APL scenes of the cinemas' projector in comparison with what my DLA-N7 can do at home. I figure Hoyts were using a 3 chip DLP professional grade projector in the cinema I went to.

So despite the worries about the native 4K projectors having substandard contrast performance (when compared with the e-shift models) I would say don't worry too much about it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Same, despite all the doom and gloom about the native 4K JVC projectors I haven't had any issues at all, apart from the yellowing of whites when using the dynamic iris (which is hardly noticeable under normal viewing conditions). I have about 140 hours on the lamp on my N7 and have enjoyed every moment watching content on it. In fact I'm re-watching a whole lot of content because the image it puts out looks so good.

It's been a while since I've been to the movies, but I went and saw Avengers: Endgame at Hoyts last Saturday and I was shocked at the poor contrast performance in low APL scenes of the cinemas' projector in comparison with what my DLA-N7 can do at home. I figure Hoyts were using a 3 chip DLP professional grade projector in the cinema I went to.

So despite the worries about the native 4K projectors having substandard contrast performance (when compared with the e-shift models) I would say don't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the above, like a lot of things in life you  all ways hear the negative and never the positive.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

I would say don't worry too much about it.

That depends on how much you value contrast and blacks.

As far as I am concerned the best E-shift JVC's made to date are only just OK for contrast and blacks, they leave a lot to be desired IMHO. A significant step backwards in contrast performance is NOT an option.

I am interested to know if any one has purchased a JVC N5 or N7 and not having any problems with theme. I am considering purchasing a new projector to replace my 9 year JVC HD550.The 550 has an purple band down the left side about 6 inches wide so after putting up with this for over a year it is time to replace it. I am also considering Sony 570 but JVC would be my first choice.

I myself have an N5 and absolutely love the image it puts out. Worth every penny I paid.
Chalked up about 280hours.
  • Like 2

I've just updated my DLA-N7 to the 2.07 firmware which has only just been released. Took a bit over 10 mins to apply the update. Supposedly it's meant to "Improve Operation Stability". Doesn't fix the DI yellowing bug though ? 

The projector turned on fine afterwards. Time to watch a movie, to see what I've broken ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well watched a movie after the firmware upgrade(4K Blu-ray of Ocean's 8) and I'm sorry to say  

that no issues arose...

These new native 4K JVC projectors are a real disappointment ?

I want a broken one like everyone else has!

Edited by Davo1972
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 29/05/2019 at 4:45 PM, kevanp said:

I don't really have any issues with my N7. 

There are some areas where the N7 is lacking (but not by much) compared to the older models such as worse contrast and higher black level. 

These issues will only be noticeable in a small number of scenes.

The 4k upgrade, on the other hand, will shine in every kind of images you throw at it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, waikis said:

I don't really have any issues with my N7. 

There are some areas where the N7 is lacking (but not by much) compared to the older models such as worse contrast and higher black level. 

These issues will only be noticeable in a small number of scenes.

The 4k upgrade, on the other hand, will shine in every kind of images you throw at it. 

Thanks

7 hours ago, wooferocau said:

New 2.07 Firmware does 'NOT" fix the colour space issue OR the Vertical lines( Red/Blue/Green)  or the "Yellowing" whites when the DI is enabled!! !! ?

the yellowing though is avoided if not running iris wide open isnt it ?  so if calibrated ... likely never see ? I believe mani confirmed this a while back ? 

the colour space is a real bother... how on earth ? and why on earth are they not fixing this ?  was never something wiht the older JVCs i understand. 

the vertical bands seem to be limited to youtube and such ? though might be wrong. I for instance have NEVER watched youtube one superceded JVC.... so cant see bother... and reckon if I start watching youtube on a projector this caliber I really dont deserve it :D

10 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Not just YouTube.... can appear with ANY source..

its tail cant be pinned down any further as to what is causing it ? must be something ? cant just be randomly appearing some and disappearing or something is it ? :)