JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Michael391 said:

Just curious has anyone tried Panasonic ub-420 uhd player.
Is it very similar to the 820 that everyone on Avs is going on about?
Enjoying the quicker startup since the update.

It just misses the tone mapping of the 820 doesn’t it ?

good to hear machine is quicker post update :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael391 said:

Just curious has anyone tried Panasonic ub-420 uhd player.
Is it very similar to the 820 that everyone on Avs is going on about?
Enjoying the quicker startup since the update.

Very similar with the same chipset as the 820 so does the tone mapping either independently or with the source like the 820 . I would have expected the same as Al as its cheaper but the only thing missing from the 820 is the fancier multi analog outs and dolby vision :)

Feel for the US ; they only get the dearer models :whistle:

• Like 2

Very similar with the same chipset as the 820 so does the tone mapping either independently or with the source like the 820 . I would have expected the same as Al as its cheaper but the only thing missing from the 820 is the fancier multi analog outs and dolby vision [emoji4]
Feel for the US ; they only get the dearer models :whistle:

Thanks mate..... might get one to try.
  • Like 2

Still pondering getting a Panasonic DP-UB9000 to replace my Oppo UDP-203, just to check out the tone mapping synergy between it and my DLA-N7... But with MadVR Envy or Lumagen Radiance Pro dynamic tone mapping on the horizon it may not be worth getting a new UHD Blu-ray player...

In the meantime, can confirm the Xpand X105-RF-X1 3D glasses work a treat, (but I needed to open up the iris and set crosstalk reduction to maximum for a good result, and yes I notice the 48Hz flicker... :(, No surprise given I suffer very badly from single chip DLP RBE... )

Anyhow, I'm watching Mortal Engines tonight, silly concept, but a very fun movie, and the 4K Blu-ray transfer is excellent, with incredible detail, colour saturation and contrast, a real reference quality UHD release, just like Fantastic Beasts Crimes of Gindelwald is. The Dolby Atmos track is brilliant too! 

Edited by Davo1972
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Still pondering getting a Panasonic DP-UB9000 to replace my Oppo UDP-203, just to check out the tone mapping synergy between it and my DLA-N7... But with MadVR Envy or Lumagen Radiance Pro dynamic tone mapping on the horizon it may not be worth getting a new UHD Blu-ray player...

Changeover with the buy/selling of the 2  players "price" will be likely considerably less going on how @IMDave has priced the graphic chipset for the  madvr solution ..

On the other hand the standalone will be able to be applied to other sources like streaming [if the panas 4k services aren't enough ? ] and if its modular with differing capabilities that changes a lot ; more details will help everyone like how long before its released :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cwt said:

Changeover with the buy/selling of the 2  players "price" will be likely considerably less going on how @IMDave has priced the graphic chipset for the  madvr solution ..

On the other hand the standalone will be able to be applied to other sources like streaming [if the panas 4k services aren't enough ? ] and if its modular with differing capabilities that changes a lot ; more details will help everyone like how long before its released :)

True, but if I changeover my Blu-ray player then buy a DTM solution (MadVR or Lumagen) it'll be more overall. That said of what I've seen of what the DP-UB9000 can do its an extremely good UHD Blu-ray player (as good, if not slightly better, than my Oppo).

Not too worried about HDR tone mapping on streamed UHD content. I've mostly found that on streamed UHD content the HDR is mostly broken at the moment, as far as I can tell. 

I loved Mortal Engines, it had a really nice image and great soundtrack.

It had a Lord of The Rings feel to the cinematography. If they can do a Lord of The Rings 4k UHD Blu-ray box set up to the standard of the Mortal Engines 4K UHD Blu-ray I'll be very, very happy! 

4 hours ago, Davo1972 said:

True, but if I changeover my Blu-ray player then buy a DTM solution (MadVR or Lumagen) it'll be more overall. That said of what I've seen of what the DP-UB9000 can do its an extremely good UHD Blu-ray player (as good, if not slightly better, than my Oppo).

Not too worried about HDR tone mapping on streamed UHD content. I've mostly found that on streamed UHD content the HDR is mostly broken at the moment, as far as I can tell. 

Its a hard call ^_^ ; maybe consider how the oppo's price will hold up as you wait the months for the madvr solution to happen . I would cave and get the pana ; too curious;  you gain the price of all those months of enjoyment or relinquish them even if you get the madvr later [ if its viable in the form chosen ; a lot of unanswered questions at this early stage] ..

• Like 1

JB have the UB420 on sale for $248 at the moment and I'm sorely tempted. 

Love the quality and features of my Oppo 203, and my Arve curves are still serving me well, so it would be hard to replace it. 

I have a sinking feeling the Madvr Envy will land in Australia for $A3000++, which would put it out of my budget. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IMDave said:

Love the quality and features of my Oppo 203, and my Arve curves are still serving me well, so it would be hard to replace it. 

I have a sinking feeling the Madvr Envy will land in Australia for $A3000++, which would put it out of my budget. Time will tell. 

I dont think the 420 does Panasonics tone mapping the same as the 820 and 9000. I think it just has the slider like the UB900 has.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Javs said:

I dont think the 420 does Panasonics tone mapping the same as the 820 and 9000. I think it just has the slider like the UB900 has.

Ah, ok , thanks for that .

Looking at the manuals for all 4 players , it's hard to know as they don't really provide screen shots. Typically vague.?

All 4 mention the "HDR optimizer" , but only the 9000 has a setting for "HDR Colour/Gamma output".

Obviously the 420 doesn't have DV.

Sorry, all this is getting OT for this thread.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IMDave said:

Ah, ok , thanks for that .

Looking at the manuals for all 4 players , it's hard to know as they don't really provide screen shots. Typically vague.?

All 4 mention the "HDR optimizer" , but only the 9000 has a setting for "HDR Colour/Gamma output".

Obviously the 420 doesn't have DV.

Sorry, all this is getting OT for this thread.

Yes Dave the manuals both describe verbatim the same HDR optimiser options and this operation is determined/ linked to the type of tv/projector . the 420/820 both have the dynamic range adjustment ala the 900. Heres an o/t review of the 420 for anyone curious ;  https://www.techradar.com/reviews/panasonic-dp-ub420

I would try to squeeze the cash from somewhere.
  • Haha 1

videopro had the pana discounted not sure still is :) 

as per jref, some goings on at value electronics (importer in us of the pana ub9000) to be demoed with a ivc nx9 that chris deering no less is calibrating and by sounds to great end result with the pana. certainly be some interesting info that flows from this day, great to see things like this happening :)

"I was at Value Electronics today and they are hosting the world’s first demonstration of JVC’s NX9 4K HDR projector with Panasonic’s new UB9000 4K HDR Blu-ray player. The live presentations will run from 11am - 5pm on Saturday, tomorrow, March 23rd at their store. I saw Kris Deering who is calibrating the NX9 projector. Kris showed me some of the demo content and i'm not a projector enthusiast but the PQ looked "like" a flat panel display. The information and demo should be very interesting."

• Like 2

only coverage we have from there, 

good to hear kris from outset, dispel some misconceptions people have on HDR. great to hear they had a fantastic result with the pairing of n9/pana 9000 :)  ps good also some of the 4k/8k dispelling there even from kris seems.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Does anyone know offhand if these new projectors have the issue with 3D polarization so you have to try find the rarer XPand X105-RF-X3 rather than the x1s?

I dont believe so, I just got these basic ones below that apparently work :) though i dont have the current series to verify but Davo does and not sure if he has had chance to run these yet.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00BFO4XSA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

25 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Does anyone know offhand if these new projectors have the issue with 3D polarization so you have to try find the rarer XPand X105-RF-X3 rather than the x1s?

The Xpand X105-RF-X1s work perfectly with the new 4K Native projectors, no need for the X3 version!JVC have changed the orientation of the polariser in the new 4K native projectors by 90 deg.

I posted about it a few pages back (link here) :) 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 709er said:

I recently purchased 2 pairs of these Hi-Shock Black Heaven (one first to trial)   https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B013R9VTRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They work very well with my Sony VW270ES and currently  have a very attractive price tag :)

I did try a hi shock, but I found it (like the sony native) I was hearing a faint shutter buzz from it, mainly if I was paused. It was faint, but it was noticeable once I heard it. I initially thought I must have had bad wiring on one of my speakers and thought I was hearing that, but it was the glasses. The xpand though I haven't noticed it.

4 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I did try a hi shock, but I found it (like the sony native) I was hearing a faint shutter buzz from it, mainly if I was paused. It was faint, but it was noticeable once I heard it. I initially thought I must have had bad wiring on one of my speakers and thought I was hearing that, but it was the glasses. The xpand though I haven't noticed it.

Was it the black heaven model? There are other models like black onyx and black diamond which look different.

I have very sensitive hearing and have not noticed any shutter buzz whatsoever. Hope it doesn't develop ?