JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

Good results below for djdee n9 owner checking out and calibrating a n5 with 110” screen.

as he sums up,

“Will say that this is a really good projector.
Also total sharpness all over fantastic, and really close to my NX9 So lens needs to be good.”

Did a test on the N5 today.  My screen 110 inch

IMG-4885.jpg
IMG-4886.jpg
IMG-4890-1.jpg

High lampe 
Iris open 0, 21000:1- 35FL
Iris  -8, 29000:1- 31FL
Iris  -15, 38000:1- 35FL
Lav Lampe
Iris open 0, 20000:1- 29FL
Iris  -8, 26000:1- 25FL
Iris  -15, 36000:1- 15FL

Ansi Contrast average on all 12 fields average 150:1, not to high, but everything I have seen on it look stunning.

Uncalibrated out of the box
image_(3).png
image_(4).png

Calibrated with iris at -13 target 16 FL
image_(5).png
image_(1).png
image.png

Will say that this is a really good projector.
Also total sharpness all over fantastic, and really close to my NX9 So lens needs to be good.

• Like 2

Tried out 3D Blu-rays yesterday. I can confirm that the orientation of the polariser in the new native 4K JVC projectors has been shifted 90 deg compared with the eShift models, so active 3D glasses from brands like Samsung work perfectly whereas the old JVC 3D glasses don't work correctly and are dim.

Also, a quick question about 3D Blu-rays. All the 3D Blu-rays I tried project in a 4:3 area of my 16:9 screen, such that 2:35:1 and 1.78:1 movies are severely windowboxed. Is this normal? It's been quite a while since I've watched a 3D Blu-ray and I can't remember if they normally play this way... 

Edited by Davo1972
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Tried out 3D Blu-rays yesterday. I can confirm that the orientation of the polariser in the new native 4K JVC projectors has been shifted 90 deg compared with the eShift models, so active 3D glasses from brands like Samsung work perfectly whereas the old JVC 3D glasses don't work correctly and are dim.

Also, a quick question about 3D Blu-rays. All the 3D Blu-rays I tried project in a 4:3 area of my 16:9 screen, such that 2:35:1 and 1.78:1 movies are severely windowboxed. Is this normal? It's been quite a while since I've watched a 3D Blu-ray and I can't remember if they normally play this way... 

No not normal, should be 16:9 mostly :) aspect ratio should be same as for regular blu-rays. I’d check your aspect ratio and zoom settings on both player and projector :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

No not normal, should be 16:9 mostly :) aspect ratio should be same as for regular blu-rays. I’d check your aspect ratio and zoom settings on both player and projector :)

I checked the aspect ratio settings on Oppo 4K Blu-ray player, the DLA-N7 and my AV processor (AudioControl Maestro M5) and they were all set correctly...

Then I worked out what was wrong.... And it took me a bit of thinking about it to work it out... It has to do with the masking function the projector has and what happens when you use this function on the projector's 17:9 4096x2160 panel to mask 16:9 3840x2160 video versus 16:9 1920x1080 video, so bear with me here.

My 16:9 screen is about 12 years old and possibly has stretched vertically a little and there is a little bit of picture spilling over into the black border on the left and right side of the screen the when displaying 16:9 3840x2160 video, so my installer used the masking function of the DLA-N7 to bring the image edge back to the edge of the black border of the screen without much if any spill over.

When masking 16:9 3840x2160 images the masking function starts from the edge of the 17:9 4096x2160 panel, so to mask a small amount of the edges of a 16:9 3840x2160 image the masking values I needed were around 80-90 pixels each for the left and right sides to get to the edge of the 16:9 3840x2160 image. I've been using my Oppo Blu-ray player to upscale regular 1080p Blu-rays to 3840x2160p rec709, so the masking functions correctly for the 1920x1080 content I've been viewing from normal 1080p Blu-rays, because it's being upscaled and displayed at 16:9 3840x2160.

But when I play 3D Blu-rays my Oppo player doesn't upscale the 1080p image instead presenting it as 1080p native either frame stacked or side by side to the DLA-N7 so it can do it's 3D thing. When applying masking to a native 1920x1080 signal the DLA-N7 applies the masking from the edge of the 16:9 1920x1080 image and not from the edge of the 17:9 panel!. The the vertical black black bars I was seeing was actually the approx. 80-90 pixel wide masking I had set up for 3840x2160 images, and it made the images look a bit like 4:3, lol.

I set up a second installation mode for watching 3D movies with the masking set to around 5-10 pixels on the left and right sides, and that's fixed the issue! 

something intrigues me, its related to polarisation in screens. mine is just a standard 1.1 gain and @Javs seemed to think be no bother for me. the test is turning your head 90 degrees and seeing if there is a difference. and I have 4 pairs of same glasses as you have and seem to be fine for my setup for now whether at 90 deg or not.  I still bought a couple of pairs of expand glasses, I am advised these will work even if polarisation other ways around. were cheap enough and I dont mind a couple more, as some times have had daughter and friends over watching one of the 3D movies. 

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00BFO4XSA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

no idea how the above work to be honest even with my existing JVC so cant verify one ways or another but thought cheap enough if no good can easy enough move along.

ps the original JVC glasses command a ton of money on ebay so i wouldnt fret as be no problem moving them along too if next to swap over :)

I'm surprised that my screen retains as much polarisation as it does! Unfortunately it means the JVC PK-AG3 3D Glasses I have are too dark to use to watch movies. So my recommendation to anyone getting one of the new Native 4K JVC projectors and intending to watch 3D content is to not buy the JVC PK-AG3 3D glasses.

Given the Samsung glasses I tried out yesterday worked well I ended up buying some of those those Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses from Amazon (which I see are compatible with Samsung TVs), hopefully they'll arrive soon.

• Like 3

I'm surprised that my screen retains as much polarisation as it does! Unfortunately it means the JVC PK-AG3 3D Glasses I have are too dark to use to watch movies. So my recommendation to anyone getting one of the new Native 4K JVC projectors and intending to watch 3D content is to not buy the JVC PK-AG3 3D glasses.

Given the Samsung glasses I tried out yesterday worked well I ended up buying some of those those Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses from Amazon (which I see are compatible with Samsung TVs), hopefully they'll arrive soon.

Nice work figuring it out [emoji106]
  • Like 1

makes sense @Davo1972  on why impacting 3D and not blu-ray or UHD :) is it pretty much masking on / off ? what are you doing to work around... just zooming out slightly ? I imagine thats all need to eliminate the bit of black bars ? 

your stewart "fire hawk" screen mentioned earlier I think it is ... is a high gain screen isn't it ? ... plus with ambient light rejection ?  which must impact polarisation somehow ? would explain what you are seeing :)

• Like 1

@dandlj good to read your impressions of N7 you checked out :)  , posting here so others here can read :)

"A fellow AVS member and myself went to view a NX7 today. Someone who was one of the first to receive the projector in Australia was kind enough to let us into their home to see it.

We didn’t take any measurements, just went to take a look to see one in action and to ensure we were both purchasing the right projector for our tastes/requirements.

We tested a variety of 4K and 3D content played from an Oppo along with an ATV.

It was good to see firsthand things that have been mentioned on the forums - to see if anything would put us off or turned out to not be much of an issue for either of us.

First off fan noise. In low lamp, with the projector right above our heads, it was inaudible. In high lamp we could hear it (just) but in our opinion it was negligible and as soon as content was played it was inaudible. Either my plasma tv or PS4 are louder than the projector was in high lamp. No noisy DI.

Sync times, while obvious, weren’t so long to be an issue, and that was with low latency off.

We saw the yellowing on opening white credits - didn’t distract us, but we could see it was there.

Picture quality - WOW! If I could swear on here I would. It was frickin incredible. We watched the opening scene of Lucy with the monkey by the river, just wow! Same with all content we watched, really amazing, often breathtaking.

We also watched some blu ray sports content (football) with CMD on low, and it was very impressive. You could make out blades of grass on the pitch. No ghosting or motion issues. All nice and smooth.

Pacific rim in HDR was very impressive too. You could easily see the stitching on the suit of Stacker Pentecost, and with the fight scenes - combining light and dark - it was a good example of what the projector can do.

Black were very impressive even considering it was during the day in a non light controlled room.

We spent over an hour viewing content and left convinced this was the projector to purchase.

Now back waiting to get one!"

great to see more aussie impressions of these new JVCs  :)

• Like 4

16 hours ago, betty boop said:

makes sense @Davo1972  on why impacting 3D and not blu-ray or UHD :) is it pretty much masking on / off ? what are you doing to work around... just zooming out slightly ? I imagine thats all need to eliminate the bit of black bars ? 

your stewart "fire hawk" screen mentioned earlier I think it is ... is a high gain screen isn't it ? ... plus with ambient light rejection ?  which must impact polarisation somehow ? would explain what you are seeing :)

I ended up setting up another Installation Mode setting with different masking values for the left and right side of the image, to suit the 1080p 3D content. With a separate installation mode for 3D I should also be able to change the iris settings value to take into account the slight reduction in brightness when using 3D glasses.

My Firehawk G3 screen is an ALR 1.25 gain screen and according to Stewart Filmscreen it isn't meant to retain polarisation, but it looks like it is retaining a degree of polarisation. A pair of 3D glasses with the correct orientation of polarisation, ala the Xpand X105-RF-X1 3d glasses or a pair of Samsung 3D glasses, will work fine. Luckily I had a chance to try out a pair of Samsung 3D glasses on Saturday to test out if it was a polariser orientation issue, and they worked well therefore proving it was!

Of interest, whilst doing a bit of research on the right 3D glasses to buy I found out that Xpand make a version of the X105-RFs suitable for the older e-shift JVC Projectors with horizontal polarisation, the Xpand X105-RF-X3.  

• Like 1

hooley dooley !!! v2.01 firmware for jvc n series and its directly downloadable,

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/

this is sounding pretty amazing ! for the panasonic 9000 and JVC N series as a combo...fanstastic to see this sort of collaboration !

as per rwesteley,  

"The firmware is for the JVC Panasonic 9000 combo. This is from the German Forum. Not sure if it will work with the Panasonic 820.

NEW FIRMWARE 
JVC AND PANASONIC COOPERATE 
HDR PLUG & PLAY

Today, new N-Series firmware has been released: 
V2.01

This is a firmware that can be loaded on all N Series devices. 
The special feature is the cooperation between JVC and Panasonic. 
With the Panasonic UB9004 now HDR Plug & Play will work. Here, not only a tone mapping takes place, but also a color space / gamma transformation, with which all films can be displayed with the best possible light output. The whole thing should work fully automatically so well that the developers are excited about it. Sounds exciting."

"Added color profile exclusively to use with Panasonic UHD-BD player to obtain optimum HDR image quality.
・Specification change that enables each gamma adjustment setting whilst using auto tone mapping function
・Addition of new screens for screen adjustment mode
・Improved operation stability"

• Like 2

Yes, the last N7 that came here had the 2.01 software on it, sadly it was faulty so it's going back.

The firmware however, you're not allowed to do it yourself, apparently, if you live in Australia, the only way is to send to a service centre.. bizzare I know given the yanks are allowed to.. 

Funny though, if you click on support http://au.jvc.com/support/ - this link takes you to the firmware page in the USA.. But there is no warning for us here to not use it.. What is going on here? It's USB, did they not make it USB so we COULD do our own updates? Surely they don't want service centres billing them for updating the firmware? Plus there's that damage in transit risk too which would get them even more warranty claims.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Yes, the last N7 that came here had the 2.01 software on it, sadly it was faulty so it's going back.

The firmware however, you're not allowed to do it yourself, apparently, if you live in Australia, the only way is to send to a service centre.. bizzare I know given the yanks are allowed to.. 

Funny though, if you click on support http://au.jvc.com/support/ - this link takes you to the firmware page in the USA.. But there is no warning for us here to not use it.. What is going on here? It's USB, did they not make it USB so we COULD do our own updates? Surely they don't want service centres billing them for updating the firmware? Plus there's that damage in transit risk too which would get them even more warranty claims.

I’ll be downloading the firmware and updating my N7 today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davo1972 said:

I’ll be downloading the firmware and updating my N7 today.

Be careful!!!  One person i know of DID update the firmware without JVC Aus OK.  HE has an issue with the projector and because "He" updated the firmware himself  he now has a BIGGER issue with warranty.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oztheatre said:

I could do updates prior and have done on my previous gen jvc.  

I categorically will NOT be taking a HEAVY projector up/down packing/unpacking to take to a service centre (with possibility of damage in transit) and then doing without the projector just for an update can do via usb. you can tell them this OZ. not that JVC au give a d@mn I suspect for what inconvenience it might cause the end user.

I remember clearly a senior jvc person announcing the usb feature for firmware updates for more convenience for the customer . I'll find the video. Its not just the yanks. its the guys in germany who announced this.

• Like 1

JVC / panasonic pre ss release on their collaboration for HDR with dedicated profiles and automatic tone mapping for HDR content,

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consumer/jvc_panasonic.html 

note this relates to jvc N series and panasonics ub9000 und player.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JVC and Panasonic Collaborate
to Optimize Large-Screen HDR Performance

JVC projectors’ dedicated color profiles for Panasonic’s flagship 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player
provide automatic tone mapping of HDR content

LONG BEACH, CALIF., March 15, 2019 – JVC and Panasonic have collaborated to deliver the best possible HDR video by optimizing performance when Panasonic’s acclaimed top-end Ultra HD Blu-ray player is paired with a 2019 JVC native 4K D-ILA projector.

A key feature in Panasonic’s DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray player is the HDR Optimizer, which tone maps HDR10 content based on the metadata to match the capabilities of a display. To achieve optimum HDR image quality when the player is connected to a compatible JVC projector, users select one of two dedicated color profiles developed specifically for the Panasonic 4K Ultra HD player. The profiles work in conjunction with the player’s HDR Optimizer to deliver the best possible HDR images.

Several titles do not include MaxCLL and MaxFALL (HDR10 metadata). In those cases, the projectors’ dedicated color profile works with the Panasonic HDR Optimizer to deliver optimum HDR image quality.
The Panasonic DP-UB9000 has been widely praised as the gold standard among Ultra HD Blu-ray players, and its HDR Optimizer works beautifully with our projectors to deliver stunning HDR images,” said Fred Zecha, General Manager, Custom Installation Sales, JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation. “By including custom color profiles specifically designed for the Panasonic player, performance is further improved by optimizing HDR content for the player/projector pairing and the result is truly cinema-quality images.”

The JVC native 4K D-ILA projector and the UB9000 with its unique features are a great fit. We are very excited about this collaborative effort to bring consumers the best in home entertainment,” said Bill Voss, Business Development Manager, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. 

The Panasonic DP-UB9000 uses the company’s second generation Hollywood Cinema Experience (HCX) video processor, which includes the HDR Optimizer. Users select their display type from a player menu of options (OLED, High Brightness Projector, Basic Brightness Projector, LCD, etc.) and the player tone maps the content for that display. 

Pairing the player with a 2019 JVC native 4K D-ILA projector provides optimum HDR image quality by using one of the projector’s two DP-UB9000 color profiles. Using the JVC projectors’ Color Profile Settings, the user chooses either the “Pana_PQ_HL” (High Luminance Projector) or “Pana_PQ_BL” (Basic Luminance Projector) setting based on the corresponding HDR Display Type setting in the DP-UB9000. Which setting to choose depends on the user’s preference – the High Luminance Projector setting prioritizes image brightness; the Basic Luminance Projector setting prioritizes widest color gamut reproduction.

Opting to use both the JVC projectors’ dedicated Panasonic player color profiles and the 4K Ultra HD BD player’s HDR Optimizer results in a more realistic HDR image with more accurate gradation compared to what’s achieved using Auto Tone Mapping or HDR Optimizer alone.

For 2019 JVC D-ILA 4K projectors currently in use, the dedicated Panasonic DP-UB9000 color profiles will be available this month via a firmware upgrade, while projectors in production will be shipped with new version firmware.

The 2019 JVC projector line is comprised of six models in the Procision and Reference Series, and includes the DLA-NX9 and DLA-RS3000 with 8K e-shift technology. Model numbers and retail prices are:

DLA-NX9/DLA-RS3000 $17,999.95
DLA-NX7/DLA-RS2000  $7,999.95
DLA-NX5/DLA-RS1000  $5,999.95

About JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation
JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of JVCKENWOOD Corporation and is a leading developer of imaging, home and car entertainment and navigation products for the consumer market, two-way radio communications systems for public safety, private industry and amateur users, and video equipment for the broadcast and professional markets. For detailed information, call JVCKENWOOD USA at 1-800-582-5825 or visit us at http://us.jvckenwood.com, www.kenwoodusa.com and www.jvc.com.

About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company

Based in Newark, NJ, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is a division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation. The company offers a wide range of consumer solutions in the U.S. including LUMIX Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Blu-ray players, Home Audio, Technics, Cordless Phones, Home Appliances, Beauty, Grooming, Wellness and Personal Care products and more. Panasonic is included in the 2019 Global RepTrak® 100, an annual ranking of public perception toward the world’s top companies by the Reputation Institute.
  • Like 3

Seriously. I just can't believe JVC australia would do that. If the rest of the world can DIY, why can't we? 

That would make me extremely angry if I was an owner. 

And possibly a deal breaker as a prospective buyer.

Who makes these decisions? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wooferocau said:

Be careful!!!  One person i know of DID update the firmware without JVC Aus OK.  HE has an issue with the projector and because "He" updated the firmware himself  he now has a BIGGER issue with warranty.

It all went well with no problems at all ? 

The firmware update is extremely easy to do. Download the firmware, unzip the UD-B2A1 folder onto root directory of a USB drive, plug USB drive into projector, and select update firmware in the projector's menu. Took a bit over 20 mins to complete.

A quick check of boot up times for the projector, on button to D-ILA screen - 1.19 firmware at around 1min 55 secs, 2.01 firmware at around 1min 15secs. Admittedly this was a test this morning just before and just after updating the firmware, so I'm not sure if I can accept this as proof of an improvement.

The yellow tinge when using the dynamic iris is still present after the update to 2.01 ?

I don't have a Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Blu-ray player to test the tone mapping updates. Thinking about getting one to replace my Oppo UDP-203, but probably not. I'd rather get a Lumagen Radiance Pro or madVR Envy sometime in the future, for dynamic tone mapping.

Also there is a new version of the Autocal software (ver 1.1). Hopefully a version that works properly this time?

Now if JVC can release a firmware update that fixes the yellow tinge when using the DI I'll be happy!

• Like 4

Ah, Rich, I saw photos on the AVS forum of that second N7 you got in, wow, looks really bad.

Damn, two defective units in a row...

Hopefully JVC can get their poo together and sort this out!

I'm sorta feeling lucky my unit has been fine (50 hours on it, no issues), but jeez I feel for you man...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, oztheatre said:

The very fact that support page does that means JVC dont have a leg to stand on. This is bullshit and would not hold up to an ounce of scrutiny from the ACCC.

Where IN THE BOX does is say you cannot update the firmware with official software?

This becomes a bigger joke by the minute.

• Like 6

I notice manni having some sucess with autocal on new series. Though can anyone link to his thread here, not having any luck trying to do that ! Keep getting a avs archive or something. ie actual thread on avs which he seems to have some aversion linking to...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I notice manni having some sucess with autocal on new series. Though can anyone link to his thread here, not having any luck trying to do that ! Keep getting a avs archive or something. ie actual thread on avs which he seems to have some aversion linking to...

This? Am I allowed to post this link?

https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.0

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

This? Am I allowed to post this link?

https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.0

That’s it I think, We are totally allowed to post links :) is that avs though ? Or is he posting on some other thing ? I don’t understand what’s hang up :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

That’s it I think, We are totally allowed to post links :) is that avs though ? Or is he posting on some other thing ? I don’t understand what’s hang up :)

Its a post on AVScience not AVS (they're different, believe me). Apparently they're two different websites. Something to do with the company AVScience originally owning the AVS website and then selling it off or abandoning it, or something. I'm not really sure.

That post by Manni on AVScience regarding calibration using Autocal will be worthwhile following for sure.

Edited by Davo1972
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Its a post on AVScience not AVS (they're different, believe me). Apparently they're two different websites. Something to do with the company AVScience originally owning the AVS website and then selling it off or abandoning it, or something. I'm not really sure.

That post by Manni on AVScience regarding calibration using Autocal will be worthwhile following for sure.

Indeed gee didn’t realise the split :D what had me confused always saw them as one and same ! Been on avs for years science was the S hehe now might be sales !

• Like 1

Yeah, the AVScience site doesn't have many contributors but there is SO MUCH less waffle and repetition of the same questions being asked. More and more of the "main players" are finding it, so despite being around for a couple of years it is starting to gain traction. Mike G and Craig P are there too so the "sales" part is still in the background, but their contributions generally aren't that overtly pushing a product in the same way they come across on the other site.

• Like 2