JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Discussion Thread

Thanks for posting the stuff Manni posted Al. I agree with everything he has posted. The N7 seems to be the whole package, with great performance. Although I'll admit I haven't previously owned one of the e-shift JVCs the vibe I get reading online, and my personal experience with my N7 is that replacing an e-shift model with one of the new native 4K model is actually a pretty good thing despite the drop in stated contrast performance.

I haven't had much of a chance to watch many movies so far, been too busy with work and social engagements in the past week, but for what I have watched the image the N7 has projected has been great. I'll definitely make sure I watch something tonight, and might try out some 3d movies on the weekend.

• Like 1

Watching Infinity War tonight. Wow, just wow. This projector is so good. I might only be getting 43 foot-lamberts (147.3 nits) for peak brightness for HDR on high lamp, 0 iris, but damn, the N7 projects such a great HDR image..... Just gorgeous, with deep blacks and incredible detail in the dark parts of the image with nice bright specular lights... This projector is bloody amazing...

• Like 5

Another perspective...

JVC DLA-N7 4K D-ILA Projector – First Look & Comments

reactor101

Funny how there's not a single word about the chromatic aberrations, the dreadful panel alignment and the yellowing of whites reported worldwide. I've seen this PJ in great detail in Australia and I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.... Don't be fooled these reviewers are biased towards the positive for a reason. It's all well and good to tout all glass optics but when the image turns to crap on one whole side of the screen due to poor panel alignment and dreadful CA from inferior optics. seems like jvc couldn't care less.

I think we'll see the return of single chip machines given these ones can't display a uniform image. if this was a tv you'd laugh and return it.. maybe you'd cry I don't know.. But it's woeful quality control on jvc's part.

Now their projectors have taken a massive contrast hit, they're no longer ahead of everyone else so there's no real main selling point anymore as contrast was the most important factor among movies enthusiasts, right? JVC were known for being the best in the game, now the contrast is ordinary and the rest of the image across the screen is sub standard because of the above mentioned problems... where's their advantage now? It doesn't exist.
sorry to seem negative but I was looking forward to this machine and had an order in for one, but now I've cancelled my order and will wait to see what the outcome ends up being. Let's keep it real. It's not fair on others who might buy this machine sight unseen and put faith in reviews that are clearly not telling the whole picture. cheers and thanks.

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT [IMG]
I'm hearing now that the reason we are not seeing units in our neck of the woods as yet is due to the issues reported here, which I'm told relate back to the original production delay. Sounds like a few months till they sort things out enough to get units down our way from what's been indicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKlammer [IMG]
Seriously? What are the units already delievered, electronic waste? [IMG]

Hard to say what the story with existing units will be, but lets hope not. This was actual JVC info from them to me just to clarify.

44 minutes ago, Quark said:

Well that's a concern. Hope it's all sorted soon.

The ole baseball bat approach is good in these cases. If something is a turnip ...whack send it right back from whence it came.... they soon get the message....

we we are paying serious money for these projectors and they need to be to a standard and quality to match the asking price. I for one wouldn’t expect anything less than what they should be ...

part Rt of the problem with jvc is they have so few out there...basically any example with issue seems like one out of two are bad as hit rate :D

what the actual rate is we are unlikely to ever know. In any case just how many n series jvcs are there in the country 3 :D ?? Not sure how that goes for sample size...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Another perspective...

reading that thread.... I only have all respect for likes of phil hilton and steve withers.... i'll leave it at that....look forward to both those guys perspectives :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Another perspective...

JVC DLA-N7 4K D-ILA Projector – First Look & Comments

reactor101

Funny how there's not a single word about the chromatic aberrations, the dreadful panel alignment and the yellowing of whites reported worldwide. I've seen this PJ in great detail in Australia and I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.... Don't be fooled these reviewers are biased towards the positive for a reason. It's all well and good to tout all glass optics but when the image turns to crap on one whole side of the screen due to poor panel alignment and dreadful CA from inferior optics. seems like jvc couldn't care less.

I think we'll see the return of single chip machines given these ones can't display a uniform image. if this was a tv you'd laugh and return it.. maybe you'd cry I don't know.. But it's woeful quality control on jvc's part.

Now their projectors have taken a massive contrast hit, they're no longer ahead of everyone else so there's no real main selling point anymore as contrast was the most important factor among movies enthusiasts, right? JVC were known for being the best in the game, now the contrast is ordinary and the rest of the image across the screen is sub standard because of the above mentioned problems... where's their advantage now? It doesn't exist.
sorry to seem negative but I was looking forward to this machine and had an order in for one, but now I've cancelled my order and will wait to see what the outcome ends up being. Let's keep it real. It's not fair on others who might buy this machine sight unseen and put faith in reviews that are clearly not telling the whole picture. cheers and thanks.

Hmmm...  I haven’t had any of these issues that I’ve noticed, apart from the yellowing of whites when using the DI... I’m sort of puzzled by this. Who raised these concerns?

On a separate note, I watched Blade Runner 2049. Great image, and brilliant Atmos soundtrack. Also my JL sub is a keeper ?

• Like 3

Ready Player One tonight. Again great picture. Deep blacks, great contrast, awesome tone mapping. Apart from the slight yellow tinge in the credits my N7 is killing it. No other problems reported.

I have to say, once again, my JL sub is brilliant. So accurate and restrained, yet powerful. I think I don't need to buy another sub for at least a decade, if not more. 

• Like 4

Never let it be said I was selfish or unhelpful to my fellow SNA members in their hour of need, I’m prepared to help out one of you disillusioned N7 / N9 owners, I tell you what I will do. I’ll swap my three month old X9900 for your troublesome yellow tinging N7 / N9, that’s right a straight swap, you won’t even have to give me any money. ... :angel:

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, TerryO said:

Never let it be said I was selfish or unhelpful in my fellow SNA members hour of need, I’m prepared to help out one of you disillusioned N7 / N9 owners, I tell you what I will do. I’ll swap my three month old X9900 for your troublesome yellow tinging N7 / N9, that’s right a straight swap, you won’t even have to give me any money. ... :angel:

cheers Terry

darn it........I've only got a N5 lol

Edited by Michael391
  • Like 2

with horror run some have had with DOA's its interesting to see some variations of overpacking being done, this is a good thing... we often get double boxed electronics in this country (my musical fidelity gear, luxman disc player and even smaller meridian gear was over boxed and over wrapped).

do hope JVCs au take the initiative.... @oztheatre perhaps you can prod ..."the bear" I do think this is important when consider just how far these travel to get to us... especially with the atrocious handling practices of couriers and transport companies both local and overseas.

only down side is larger and bulkier will mean likely also be more chance of "man handling" and being bumped and tossed around....

from chrisf16

Well, after ordering at the first of October, I finally received my RS2000 on Wednesday evening. I opted for the "ship straight from the port" shipping and was surprised to see that it was still placed in a second box with giant bubble-wrap around the manufacturer's box. As a result, the outer box was unmarked, no "fragile", no "this side up" and I walked out to the UPS truck where I was pleased that the driver had already put the hand truck out to bring it up to my house. However, due to no markings on the box he brought it out of the truck to the dolly by "rolling" it end-over-end on its side . The good news is, after I got it opened up, there was no shipping damage and the styrofoam wasn't even cracked.

and dewey1968

Received my rs2000 yesterday. It was sent from dealer double boxed with foam peanuts between 2 boxes. QC tape on projector box. Only have about an hour of usage but so far.. Wow! I am coming from a Sony HW55ES. I have no weird noises or purple donuts. I had to move both red and blue one click. At first I could not get a 4k signal to projector but then realized I had a second non 4k monitor hooked up to receiver so it would not send the signal. Once I disconnected the second monitor it worked as advertised. 

• Like 2

Sadly that's never going to happen here Al. They have to open them to throw in a oz kettle cord but the projectors are never turned on or checked at JVC before they're shipped out.

I've begged them to change couriers from star track to cope but 'it's in the system and the system can't be changed' and 'its part of our contract'  They're simply el cheapo couriers who couldn't care less. And given they're wrapped in black plastic with NO care stickers attached, it's just 'another box' the courier guy has to deliver. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oztheatre said:

Sadly that's never going to happen here Al. They have to open them to throw in a oz kettle cord but the projectors are never turned on or checked at JVC before they're shipped out.

I've begged them to change couriers from star track to cope but 'it's in the system and the system can't be changed' and 'its part of our contract'  They're simply el cheapo couriers who couldn't care less. And given they're wrapped in black plastic with NO care stickers attached, it's just 'another box' the courier guy has to deliver. 

The box my DLA-N7 came in had a (smallish) hole in the side where something had penetrated the cardboard. The packing foam inside was intact though. Despite that the convergence is good and I haven't had any other issues that I've noted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oztheatre said:

pity, oz, we are paying thousands too I am sure they realise they get our money ! 

and they really should do cope, these are such delicate things. all projectors are these days. its interesting that in the us even direct from port they are getting double boxed ? though with no stickers on side as well, with results of the guy tumbling out the van as the poster indicated :(

in selling anything 2nd hand, unless its a double box, I overwrap in bobble wrap, then black plastic and then fragile stickers all around. if I can do it for a items much cheaper and 2nd hand cant understand why jvc au dont bother. perhaps they will learn with all the returns and DOAs.... potentially going to get. 

• Like 1

I, like many others I would guess, are interested in reading about users experiences with the new N5/7/9 projectors, but so far most of this thread has been a debate that is not really related to these new models. 

Not intending to be rude but would it be possible Owen and Javs if you could start a new topic to have your ongoing (interesting) debates?

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TerryO said:

I, like many others I would guess, are interested in reading about users experiences with the new N5/7/9 projectors, but so far most of this thread has been a debate that is not really related to these new models. 

Would it be possible Owen and Javs if you could start a new topic to have your ongoing (interesting) debates?

cheers Terry

Great idea.

@Javs and @Owen - tell me what you want the thread called, and who wants to 'own' it, and I'll split out your conversation to a new separate discussion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

Great idea.

@Javs and @Owen - tell me what you want the thread called, and who wants to 'own' it, and I'll split out your conversation to a new separate discussion.

good thinking, have split it. into a SDR v HDR thread on projectors thread, can be renamed as suits :) 

1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Not intending to be rude but would it be possible Owen and Javs if you could start a new topic to have your ongoing (interesting) debates?

cheers Terry

indeed lets keep the thread to JVC N5/7/9 rather than debate not related to these new models, suggest people wanting that take to the created thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tried a 3d movie last night - Guardians of the Galaxy. I've seen some reports on the AVS forums that JVC has shifted the polarisers in the new native 4K projectors approx 90 degrees. Using a pair of JVC PK-AG3 3d glasses it appears this is true :( (very dark in normal orientation, but improves when turning my head 90 deg)

Unfortunately I bought a few pairs before I found this out...

That said it means the new projectors should work with the glasses that work with the polariser in the same plane as most other projectors, meaning cheaper glasses should work :) 

Anyhow I ended up watching the 2d Guardians Blu-ray. I used my Oppo UDP203 to upscale to 4K so I can't comment on the upscaler performance in the projector, but overall it looked great, despite the slightly muted colour gamut.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Tried a 3d movie last night - Guardians of the Galaxy. I've seen some reports on the AVS forums that JVC has shifted the polarisers in the new native 4K projectors approx 90 degrees. Using a pair of JVC PK-AG3 3d glasses it appears this is true :( (very dark in normal orientation, but improves when turning my head 90 deg)

Unfortunately I bought a few pairs before I found this out...

That said it means the new projectors should work with the glasses that work with the polariser in the same plane as most other projectors, meaning cheaper glasses should work :) 

Anyhow I ended up watching the 2d Guardians Blu-ray. I used my Oppo UDP203 to upscale to 4K so I can't comment on the upscaler performance in the projector, but overall it looked great, despite the slightly muted colour gamut.

something intrigues me, its related to polarisation in screens. mine is just a standard 1.1 gain and @Javs seemed to think be no bother for me. the test is turning your head 90 degrees and seeing if there is a difference. and I have 4 pairs of same glasses as you have and seem to be fine for my setup for now whether at 90 deg or not.  I still bought a couple of pairs of expand glasses, I am advised these will work even if polarisation other ways around. were cheap enough and I dont mind a couple more, as some times have had daughter and friends over watching one of the 3D movies. 

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00BFO4XSA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

no idea how the above work to be honest even with my existing JVC so cant verify one ways or another but thought cheap enough if no good can easy enough move along.

ps the original JVC glasses command a ton of money on ebay so i wouldnt fret as be no problem moving them along too if next to swap over :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, betty boop said:

something intrigues me, its related to polarisation in screens. mine is just a standard 1.1 gain and @Javs seemed to think be no bother for me. the test is turning your head 90 degrees and seeing if there is a difference. and I have 4 pairs of same glasses as you have and seem to be fine for my setup for now whether at 90 deg or not.  I still bought a couple of pairs of expand glasses, I am advised these will work even if polarisation other ways around. were cheap enough and I dont mind a couple more, as some times have had daughter and friends over watching one of the 3D movies. 

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00BFO4XSA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

no idea how the above work to be honest even with my existing JVC so cant verify one ways or another but thought cheap enough if no good can easy enough move along.

ps the original JVC glasses command a ton of money on ebay so i wouldnt fret as be no problem moving them along too if next to swap over :)

Yep, those Xpand glasses are what I'm looking at, from what I can tell they should work. My Stewart Firehawk screen isn't meant to retain much polarisation, but my experience is it remains heaps with a big effect on the result. Good to hear I should be able to sell my glasses at not a huge loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo1972 said:

Yep, those Xpand glasses are what I'm looking at, from what I can tell they should work. My Stewart Firehawk screen isn't meant to retain much polarisation, but my experience is it remains heaps with a big effect on the result. Good to hear I should be able to sell my glasses at not a huge loss.

I've been told the new JVC's have flipped polarisation compared to the previous models. If that is the case, then the Xpand glasses ARE the right glasses to get, even if you screen does retain polarisation.

I have four pairs myself, they are brilliant. Though if you have an OZTS screen, it does NOT retain any polarisation whatsoever, not even a little bit.

I've seen a SI Black Diamond 1.4 and that thing retains crazy polarisation, 3D was basically completely black through my glasses, turn my head and it came back, but obviously un-watchable.

• Like 3

@Davo1972

not sure seen manni’s plea see below, I think you were getting yellowing with uhd player, do you have iris cranked open ?

He is chasing specifics to help in diagnosis. As appears not all are seeing this especially if close down iris (something can check )

On my NX7 projector using Shield TV - this is visible on every color space and at all bit depths (8 and 10 bits). Anytime the DI is engaged there is yellowing - there is no escaping it. I have seen it in HDR and SDR content.

I have seen it at 4k 60hz RGB 8bit using the HDR(PQ) curve. Logos or icons on a black background yellow a bit (nvidia, 398.11).  I will try to check the Lucy scene above using my MadVR settings which use SDR power gamma next time I use the projector.

Same setup here, same issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all.

It's hard to make any final conclusion as it's a small dataset and some of the requested info is missing, but as it is now it seems that those seeing the yellowing are using PC based sources (HTPC, nVidia Shield, XBOX) or standalone player doing the tonemapping (Oppo). I haven't seen a report yet from a user playing content from a standalone UHD Bluray player sending HDR to the PJ.

Does anyone see this yellowing/blooming with the DI engaged using a standalone UHD Bluray player set to passthrough (so with the JVC using an HDR/HDR10 calibration and doing the tonemapping)?

For those using an nVidia GPU (HTPC, nVidia Shield) does the problem go away if you send HDR passthrough to the JVC and let it do the tonemapping (using an HDR calibration in the PJ)?

The reason why I'm asking to answer ALL these questions is because there are many possible combinations (and I didn't even include a VP in the list).

If you would like to really help, with the manual iris set to 0 and the DI set to auto2,

Please report:

source
colorspace, bit depth, colorimetry, SDR or HDR as reported in the JVC info screen (press INFO on the remote while playing the content and seeing the yellowing/blooming)
calibration used in the JVC (gamma and gamut preset in the calibration selected)

When you see the issue, and when you don't. There are ways to escape it. For example, if I use the UB900 or if I set the HTPC to send HDR, with the exact same content, there is no yellowing/blooming.

If you're not using the Lucy UHD Bluray example I suggested, please list a specific title and exact timecode, preferably UHD Bluray, where it's most visible.

I know it's a lot of information but unless/until we have a complete set of answers, it's only making it more difficult for JVC to reproduce, hence to fix. It's not because it happens when you play SDR and HDR content that it would happen with the same content if your settings were different, so don't assume that because you see it all the time it's easy to reproduce. It's not. It just happens that you have the combination of source and settings that makes it happen all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

@Davo1972

not sure seen manni’s plea see below, I think you were getting yellowing with uhd player, do you have iris cranked open ?

He is chasing specifics to help in diagnosis. As appears not all are seeing this especially if close down iris (something can check )

Only checked it with the iris cranked open on UHD discs, haven't investigated further but can look into it when cranking the iris down. Seems like most think it's a Gamma modulation related issue when using DI.

Kris Deering's thoughts below:

I can see it with most content that has small white objects on dark backgrounds if I have the dynamic iris turned on and the manual aperture near fully open. It seems to be directly related to the gamma modulation going on. I also had a chance to visit JVC this last week when I was on my calibration tour in SoCal and I showed them the same thing on a unit they had there, so they are definitely aware of it.

Good to see he has shown JVC the problem. Here's hoping for a firmware fix soon.

• Like 1