Davo1972

JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Thread

Hey everyone!

I've been fortunate to get one of the first of the new JVC 4K native projectors brought into Australia. Below is a link to my initial thoughts:

For all new JVC 4K native projector owners please feel free to post your thoughts, experiences, information or hints and tips regarding the new JVC native 4K projectors!

Edited by Davo1972

A couple of things.

There have been reports on the AVS forums of "yellowing" of whites when using the DI. I can confirm that my projector does do this (noted when watching end credits on movies), but's it's easy to get rid of by disabling the dynamic iris. The yellowing doesn't appear to affect other content. Looks like a firmware issue. The DI doesn't have any blooming/pumping artifacts like the e-shift models are alleged to have, as far as I can tell. 

And I've attached a photo from Lucy below ("I feel everything"). This projector is sharp and detail is good :)  

IMG_1164.jpg

Very nice Davo. Hope to have my N5 up and mounted this weekend so I can start setting up properly.

But still enjoying it on the table behind the lounge on top of its box lol

13 minutes ago, Michael391 said:

Very nice Davo. Hope to have my N5 up and mounted this weekend so I can start setting up properly.

But still enjoying it on the table behind the lounge on top of its box lol

Nothing wrong with that Michael. Sitting on it's box is fine! It's the image it projects that matters mate ;) But its always nicer when its mounted or installed properly :D 

The photo (taken with an iPhone X) of the hospital scene in Lucy that I posted looks a little soft to my eyes. The actual projected image is really sharp!

With respect to the yellowing when using the dynamic iris I'll try and get the 1.20 firmware update and see if that improves things. Otherwise it might be a waiting game until JVC release a new firmware update to fix (if it's fixable in firmware). Michael have you noticed yellowing of whites when using the dynamic iris? For me it's mostly apparent when watching end credits in movies. I found if I bring up the projector's menu the end credits turn white immediately, and if I change to manual iris they stay white. Given that behaviour I do think it's something fixable in firmware. Looks like an issue with the gamma control related to the dynamic iris function.

Sponsor
1 hour ago, Davo1972 said:

Nothing wrong with that Michael. Sitting on it's box is fine! It's the image it projects that matters mate ;) But its always nicer when its mounted or installed properly :D 

The photo (taken with an iPhone X) of the hospital scene in Lucy that I posted looks a little soft to my eyes. The actual projected image is really sharp!

With respect to the yellowing when using the dynamic iris I'll try and get the 1.20 firmware update and see if that improves things. Otherwise it might be a waiting game until JVC release a new firmware update to fix (if it's fixable in firmware). Michael have you noticed yellowing of whites when using the dynamic iris? For me it's mostly apparent when watching end credits in movies. I found if I bring up the projector's menu the end credits turn white immediately, and if I change to manual iris they stay white. Given that behaviour I do think it's something fixable in firmware. Looks like an issue with the gamma control related to the dynamic iris function.

Not seen the yellowing Dave at this point, maybe I dodged a bullet there.

31 minutes ago, Michael391 said:

Will look tonight Davo

Best way to find it is to Set the dynamic iris to Auto1 or Auto 2. Find some end credits on a film that you know are white (I used the credits on the Deadpool 2 4K Blu-ray last night), hit pause on your Blu-ray player and bring up the projector's menu. If you have the problem the credits should change from a slightly yellowish off-white to white. Turning off the dynamic iris will keep the credits white when you exit the projector's menu.

I've seen  on the AVS forum that the problem has been reported to JVC and there will be another firmware update being released in early March that should hopefully resolve the issue.

Got it up but holy smoke it was heavy.......IMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3038.jpgIMG_3039.jpg

Currently running 1.18 firmware and needed 1 click red and blue to align.
Colors are so bright and the blacks look so good. N7 must be bloody amazing.
Plenty of content to look at this weekend and I’ll have a look at the yellow tint that Davo mentioned.

9 hours ago, Michael391 said:

Davo no yellow tint on mine that I could notice.

Thanks Michael, I'm extremely pleased you don't have the issue :) 

I don't think the yellow tint (only apparent when using the dynamic iris on my DLA-N7) is a sign my unit is defective, I think it's a problem in the firmware code for the operation of the dynamic iris. To be honest if I hadn't seen it reported on the AVS Forums I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Hopefully JVC can release a firmware update to fix it, but if they instead come back and say it's working as intended it's not a deal breaker for me.

My DLA-N7 is awesome otherwise, the lens is sharp with only the very slightest softness at the very bottom of the screen (which is related to the geometry of my projector and screen setup rather than a lens issue), the Dynamic Iris is completely silent in operation, the picture it throws is incredible with excellent brightness, deeply saturated colours, deep blacks, and sharp detail, and the fan is near silent in low lamp, and still very low noise in high lamp (my old Sharp DLP was louder in high lamp and projected a much dimmer image than the DLA-N7 throws in low lamp/SDR with the iris clamped down to -7).

I'm loving watching movies on the DLA-N7. For new movies it's better than going to a commercial cinema to see them, and for movies I've seen before it's like watching them again for the first time!