Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Supercar racing

Looks like DJR has a mustang lined up for the opening race in Adelaide at the end of the month :)

mh2-9343-adjusted2.jpg

good to see Dick johnson still at it, apparently testing it at Phillip island on thursday. great to see the mustang, so the V8 tag has been lost its now just super cars. I completely glazed over the supercars for a few years.... and this is with me who used to go to all the victorian races. felt they had lost relevance. I hope they can revive and hope there is a GM alternative to the mustang in the comaro or something . the commodore sadly shouldn't even be there I think. what are the other contenders ? any other brands cars of interest ? 

looks like a slight change in the commentary team, though all familiar faces from days of old :D might even watch a race this year hehe

https://www.drive.com.au/news/motorsport-supercar-champ-reveals-new-mustang-120733.html?trackLink=SMH1&utm_campaign=tile-2&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=theage

Supercars: Lowndes replaces Ingall on Fox Sports coverage

In a controversial move, Fox Sports has announced the newly-retired Craig Lowndes will replace Russell Ingall in its commentary team for the 2019 season.

Lowndes will host the race coverage alongside Jessica Yates and Mark Skaife on the subscription channel. He will dovetail his television commitments with his role as a co-driver alongside Jamie Whincup in the three endurance races.

Lowndes’ arrival means there was no place for Ingall, who was popular with fans for its outspoken nature. The rest of the team remains unchanged with Neil Crompton and Skaife calling the races and Mark Larkham, Greg Murphy and Riana Crehan reporting from the pitlane.

My issue with Supercars is the parity has gone to the extent that overtaking has almost disappeared. It's largely just a train of cars, each waiting for the guy directly in front of them to make a mistake to get passed.

32 minutes ago, blybo said:

My issue with Supercars is the parity has gone to the extent that overtaking has almost disappeared. It's largely just a train of cars, each waiting for the guy directly in front of them to make a mistake to get passed.

lost me when there was no longer connection with road going cars. I loved the old days of falcon, commodore, nissan gtr and occasional bmw m3 even ford sierra in the midst :D with the variety of cars was always great tangles :D 

**** that's ugly.

And it looks nothing like a Mustang.  

What's the point of a silhouette series if you have to be blind for the silhouette to look anything like the actual thing?

Actually.  They should be ashamed of themselves for trying to pass that off as a Mustang.  It looks like some early Hyundai attempt at a 'sporty' car.  

On 12/02/2019 at 9:05 PM, Monk said:

**** that's ugly.

And it looks nothing like a Mustang.  

What's the point of a silhouette series if you have to be blind for the silhouette to look anything like the actual thing?

Actually.  They should be ashamed of themselves for trying to pass that off as a Mustang.  It looks like some early Hyundai attempt at a 'sporty' car.  

I agree that looks nothing like a Mustang, sad really. What was once a truly great improved production series has become a empty shadow of its self. How many more years can they race pretend Commodores that no longer exist against pretend Falcons that also no longer exist and unconvincing looking Mustangs and non existent in the real world Nissan V8’s?

Depending on who in the Motorsport industry you speak to most will tell you the series is for sale for between $10M and $30M, which means they can’t wait to get rid of it. Once the TV money runs out or is greatly reduced at contract time because of plummeting viewer numbers it will be hard to see this series continuing.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

They would be better off using the cars out of the Bathurst 12 Hr and letting us bogans dream of driving a fancy car one day.

Edited by Tony ray

2 hours ago, Tony ray said:

They would be better off using the cars out of the Bathurst 12 Hr and letting us bogans dream of driving a fancy car one day.

You are not far off of the mark about where it is heading Tony, the same company that owns the V8 Supercar series purchased 50% of the company that owns the 12 hour Bathurst race a year or two back as they could see the writing on the wall for the V8 series and they decided to have a each way bet.

How things change, Initially when the 12 hour started they tried to hamstring it because they saw it as a threat to the V8’s but the Council were focused on having more big events on the Mountain so kept it going.

Now the future for the V8 Supercars is not bright, once they no longer truly represented cars people could buy the series future was always in serious trouble. 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

I actually went to the v8 test day at Phiilip Island on Thursday since the racetrack is only 5 mins away from me.  The mustang supercar really does look awful! A Kia stinger with a big spoiler was one of the comments I heard.

There was quite a few people there to watch the cars but it was very interesting to note that the majority seemed to be Ford fans checking out the mustang. I only saw a couple of people wearing Holden/Nissan clothing. Now that are no Australian Holden v8’s being manufactured I think most of the Holden fans will lose interest (as I have). Maybe if Holden had released a Camaro to compete with the mustang this would be different. 

I think the whole future of the series is at risk especially when Holden realise their is little benefit commercially in being a part of the series. 

32 minutes ago, Islandaudio said:

Now that are no Australian Holden v8’s being manufactured I think most of the Holden fans will lose interest (as I have). Maybe if Holden had released a Camaro to compete with the mustang this would be different.

The Mustang isn't manufactured here either and the Camaro wouldn't be either. It's time the two tribes disbanded and realised there are no Australian produced cars anymore

Yep that thing is hideous - looks nothing like a Mustang. I compared it to a real Mustang and the front end (Headlights and grille) are about 150mm lower on the race car in relation to the height of the bonnet when compared to the real car.

Because all the cars have the same chassis and therefore the same dimensions even the Falcon and Commodore cars aren't exactly the same as the road cars, but at least its not as noticeable as it is with the Mustang.

Definitely need to bring back racing modified production cars instead of these purpose built caricatures - and open it up to include any production vehicle sold for under $100,000 - WRX vs Mini vs 4C etc

Used to enjoyed for a little while the British Touring Cars. There were various manufacturers and a bit of ruff and tumble.. not like the can’t touch the other car syndrome we have here.

17 hours ago, rantan said:

The Mustang isn't manufactured here either and the Camaro wouldn't be either. It's time the two tribes disbanded and realised there are no Australian produced cars anymore

A little bit of trivia, the Camaro is actually built on a modified VE Commodore platform, for several years before it was released you could go to Winton Raceway mid week and you would see the then only seen in pics Camaro cutting laps around the circuit, there was usually two of them on track on the days they were there. They reason they were at Winton was that was the track GM and the tyre company used to tune the suspension for the final production car. 

So the Camaro is closer to a Australian based production car than most would imagine.

cheers Terry

Yeah BTCC is where its at - FWD vs RWD vs AWD - at least I think the Audis are  AWD but if so its a bit weird the Subies are converted to RWD. Either way it craps all over our Supercars - AMG vs M vs STi vs RS vs R vs RS vs Type R vs Z (did I miss any ?) !!

Well I'll put my hand up as someone who still likes the series. I don't really have time to watch it that much, so limited to the enduros, but I find it entertaining.

Shame the Mustang is such a departure from the road car.....which IMO looks awesome.

Yeah BTCC is where its at - FWD vs RWD vs AWD - at least I think the Audis are  AWD but if so its a bit weird the Subies are converted to RWD. Either way it craps all over our Supercars - AMG vs M vs STi vs RS vs R vs RS vs Type R vs Z (did I miss any ?) !!

Hmm nope err maybe. [emoji4]. Wish I could still watch it from time to time. Not sure if anybody has the rights here.

11 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Well I'll put my hand up as someone who still likes the series. I don't really have time to watch it that much, so limited to the enduros, but I find it entertaining.

Shame the Mustang is such a departure from the road car.....which IMO looks awesome.

yes i don't understand why such departure was needed on the stang

saw some guys talking about upcoming race saying nostalgic about last time mustang back in 1985 ? did they race back then ... i think i was only into it late 80s 90s onwards ...so must have missed that era...

yep like the enduros too but commitments have meant missing most if not all, but for fleeting moments ...