The Australian Blues Music Thread

9 minutes ago, mickj1 said:

I used to go drink cider at John Hueys and listen to the Foreday Riders in 1967 early 1968 down at The Rocks on leave from Holdsworthy before getting shipped out to Vietnam.

cheers

Mick 

Wow that's a long time ago now Mick and I could imagine they would have been great gigs, I went to their 50th Anniversary Gig only a couple of years ago now and it was a real special night, I've been to lots of their shows since 1980 and always good, I hired them to play at my wedding back in 1996, they really made that a great wedding and my wife and myself did a bridal Walts to a slow Blues, they are still going strong and are absolute Australian Blues Legends, 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian McP said:

ABC TV's GTK (Get To Know) have some great clips on youtube

That's a young Broderick Smith on harmonica, did you know Brod's son is in King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

Can't say I knew that as I've never heard of them, hey what an Australian legend is Broderick Smith, I mean with the Dingoes and stuff, Great Australian Country Rock and this band Carson with their  own Australian Blues'N'Boogie, seen him live a few times now and what a singer and Harmonica player he is

Legend has it he taught Jim Conway the throat vibrato on the Harmonica back in the  70s, I know that as I've had Harmonica lessons off Jim and he told me so

Hey Jim Conway has been Crippled with Multiple Sclerosis and that has stopped him playing live, he did work up the strength and courage last night to do a show after a long time in retirement, couldn't make it myself but believe it went well, Jim Conway is a well respected and an Australian Blues legend and has taught so many great players and played in so many great bands including touring with Brownie McGee, Brownie loved Jim Conway!!

Here's a bit of Captain Matchbox, they did my head in as a Kid when I saw them live back in the mid 70s

Great post Ian and thank's for that, never heard of the Paramount Trio, Melbourne has a good healthy Blues Scene and these guys sound great, read the interview as well and thanks, just when I thought this thread was dead, Love local music and it needs to be exposed 

• 3 weeks later...

Was playing The Hipshooters, " Live at the Bombshelter", the other day when it bought back memories of that Sunday Night at the infamous Bombshelter Bar itself located under the Story Bridge Hotel, Kangaroo Point Brisbane. A truly great venue, LOUD, and just the right size for a band playing Stevie Ray Vaughn influenced Blues. Sadly when the yuppies discovered Kangaroo Point, the high rises mushroomed over night and the noise complaints which soon followed caused the demise of loud live music at the pub. I heard about the band and the venue from the "nothin but the blues" show on 4ZZZ. Mark Fogerty hosted it from memory, must have been mid nineties. Any one else have memories of this great venue? 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2019 at 9:06 AM, Bugs said:

Was playing The Hipshooters, " Live at the Bombshelter", the other day when it bought back memories of that Sunday Night at the infamous Bombshelter Bar itself located under the Story Bridge Hotel, Kangaroo Point Brisbane. A truly great venue, LOUD, and just the right size for a band playing Stevie Ray Vaughn influenced Blues. Sadly when the yuppies discovered Kangaroo Point, the high rises mushroomed over night and the noise complaints which soon followed caused the demise of loud live music at the pub. I heard about the band and the venue from the "nothin but the blues" show on 4ZZZ. Mark Fogerty hosted it from memory, must have been mid nineties. Any one else have memories of this great venue? 

Sounds like a great venue Bugs, so many good live music venues now gone and the memories us music fans have is gold, now when a good Blues band hit these venues it was electrifying, Sydney venues that come to mind for me was The Family Hotel and the Governors Pleasure at Sydney amongst so many others, good nights and the Music,

Hey here is a EP I bought after a Cyril B Bunter gig at the Governors Pleasure 1980, I posted this up on YouTube many years ago as there was nothing on this great local band, they have since re formed and playing as good as ever

• 4 weeks later...