The Australian Blues Music Thread

Hi all, I think and know we have some great talent and musicians in this country, some of the best that can hold their own up on the world stage and some we as Australians should be proud of past and present, I'd like to start a thread that will highlight and showcase some of these bands, sometimes underground or don't seem to get the recondition they deserve or never exposed to the general public

Me I've seen so many good Blues bands over the years in small venues, I know many of you have as well so please expose them

I'll kick this thread of with one of my favourite local Blues Bands, The Foreday Riders featuring a local Blues legend, Dutch Tilders who has sadly passed on but will never be forgotten, 

• Like 2

Yes indeed, I've been a fan of Dutch Tilders for decades have a couple of Direct to Disc albums and CDs of his one with Kevin Borich. Never got to see him live unfortunately. First time to  Byron was the late Eighties, been about six times since, a bit too mainstream for me nowadays, think I saw the Foreday Riders there. Last year went to Forth Valley Blues in Tassie, great event. This year were off to Mitchell Creek, our third visit in a row this has become my favourite event of the year no cops, byo and camp at the site a good trifecta!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bugs said:

Yes indeed, I've been a fan of Dutch Tilders for decades have a couple of Direct to Disc albums and CDs of his one with Kevin Borich. Never got to see him live unfortunately. First time to  Byron was the late Eighties, been about six times since, a bit too mainstream for me nowadays, think I saw the Foreday Riders there. Last year went to Forth Valley Blues in Tassie, great event. This year were off to Mitchell Creek, our third visit in a row this has become my favourite event of the year no cops, byo and camp at the site a good trifecta!

Mate I have those 2  Dutch Tilders LP's and they just sound good and just as they have been recorded, Byron Bay Blues Fest Kicked off 1990 and I was at the first, the Paladins kicked butt and Dutch Tilders was there 

• Like 1

Right, looks like I was wrong with the year, I also saw Karma County  there the first year we went  they were on a small stage,  bought there CD. Little Charlie and the Nightcats were the standout band for me. Belongal Fields was the venue

Edited by Bugs
  • Like 1

A couple of other great shows I've seen at Byron and other festivals include Johnny Green's Blues cowboys, Hip Shooters [ok NZ] Chain, still going strong last year, Mo Jo Webb and The Hoochers who played at a birthday party at my house at Nimbin a few years ago

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mendes said:

So being from the West....here is Dave Hole..hope you enjoy.

Great thread.....:thumb:

Yes I love Dave Hole, seen him on numerous occasions and all great gigs, love his unique style of Slide Guitar, one gig was The Byron Bay Blues Fest 1992 at the old Piggery, Dave put on a great show, the Mal Eastick band also played, Dave Hole liked Mal's Drummer "Rudy Miranda" who is a great drummer so Dave Hole poached him, here he is playing Byron Bay 1992 and was a pleasure to be in the audience 

• Like 1

< For over three decades guitarist Dave Brewer has been the backbone for many of Australia’s most seminal acts (including The Elks, The Dynamic Hepnotics, The Mighty Reapers and the catholics) and has played with some of the most respected musicians on the planet. >

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Bluesman said:

He is, great Harmonica player, went to a Mighty Reapers reunion not that long ago, here's one of my photos 

735456_10200325404644754_1838582039_o.jpg

What camera was that taken on? One of my shots from way back in the 80's! The days of B/W film!

hep003.thumb.jpg.e9d6363ce228fb1b89b288d2fcb61a87.jpg

Bluesman, you certainty struck the right note with this thread! One of my CDs that gives a great intro to Aussie blues is a compilation called " Real Australian Blues" Vol 2 on Studio 52 records, I've never been able to get Vol 1 any one out there got a copy?

2 hours ago, Bugs said:

Bluesman, you certainty struck the right note with this thread! One of my CDs that gives a great intro to Aussie blues is a compilation called " Real Australian Blues" Vol 2 on Studio 52 records, I've never been able to get Vol 1 any one out there got a copy?

Thanks mate just thought it would be interesting for us Blues Fans, I have The Real Australian Blues Vol 1 so if you PM me your postal address I'll send you a copy 

19 minutes ago, The Bluesman said:

Looks like you have some very good photos, my shot was taken on an Olympus OM-D E-M1

From memory most of my rock photos were Nikon F2, push processed Tri X film (400 ISO up to 1600 at times)

Did you go to the memorial concert for John Power (bass player for Jo Jo Zep, Hippos and more) recently held in Sydney?

There's one coming up in Melbourne in March. I have a few good pics of him and Joe from back in the 80's.

https://www.memomusichall.com.au/memo-gig/jo-jo-zep-the-falcons-rock-doctors/

36 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

From memory most of my rock photos were Nikon F2, push processed Tri X film (400 ISO up to 1600 at times)

Did you go to the memorial concert for John Power (bass player for Jo Jo Zep, Hippos and more) recently held in Sydney?

There's one coming up in Melbourne in March. I have a few good pics of him and Joe from back in the 80's.

https://www.memomusichall.com.au/memo-gig/jo-jo-zep-the-falcons-rock-doctors/

Yes I did and it was fantastic, I've been a long time Hippos fan, ever since they formed and been to dozens of their gigs, I got to see John Power play with Jo Jo Zep back in the 70s at a 2jj concert at Parramatta Park with Johns big voice a stand out and he really got my attention, I took a Hippos CD to the Sydney HiFi Clubs meeting last Sunday and gave John a good Rap, I know it went down well with the Punters there, well most of them anyway,

I took some pictures, not my best as I had the ISO set on low and that's not good in low light with Olympus, I'd love to see your pics, hey my sister had The Hippos play at her going away party when she left Sydney back in 1992 as well, 

50057252_10218903357081954_1425055361240399872_o.jpg

49900272_10218903356721945_3620739546007732224_o.jpg

50015934_10218903354001877_2648489010392989696_o.jpg

49432664_10218903357441963_227745653097234432_o.jpg

Great shots Ian, you must have a lot of pictures of gigs, I have as well BUT wished I had a decent Camera back in the 70s-80s thanks for posting these up as they are now history

Here's another favourite pub band of mine, The Cyril B Bunter band and I've been to many gigs ever since 1980, I took these shots about 6 years ago

901931_10200925384163867_1449151320_o.jpg

903311_10200925382563827_2112342952_o.jpg

892108_10200925384003863_431595071_o.jpg