warweary

Creative Sound Blaster ZXR Soundcard

I just ordered Creative Sound Blaster ZXR Soundcard from Mwave.com.au.  It's only one of two cards I could find with both rca out and optical out and hence fits my HK990 amplifier.

Really looking forward to setting this up.

AC08033_4.jpg

LINKY

Will it be as good as a $300 external dac I wonder?

Really happy with the delivery service of Mwave as the soundcard arrived today, that's only 3 days after the order was completed.  

Now all I have to do is drive 100 km to get my amplifier back off the mate I lent it to.

Goodaye

Be very interested in your thoughts on this.

Always used Sound blaster cards from he early days of windows, never been disapointed.

Even have some old one's sitting in new PC's.

regards Bruce

Well after a 93 km drive to Nuriootpa to pick up my amplifier I have today plugged it all in.  Running rca from zxr to hk990 cd in.

Right away it all sounded good but then track 2 of Melissa Etheridge's fourth street feeling and the sound drops away, the singing sounds like an out of tune radio and everything goes quieter.

Turns out some ZXR settings are on, Crystallize voices and surround sound, I adjust those to zero and the glorious music comes back fully.

Running the zxr through jriver under waspi and she sounds really good.

Sounds vibrant, full range and clear.

Is it 89 times better than motherboard sound? Spose so.

Great to have the HK990 powering my vaf's i66 again, they deserve all the quality of the harman kardon amplifier.

I've spent just about the entire day listening to the zxr setup and it's pretty good, great even.  As good as the psaudio nuwave dac I used to own, if not better, clearer, more vibrant spacious and enjoyable.

I've heard more of the music of Seal, Pink floyd and Sting today than I can recall, so let's call the zxr a winner and worth the $350ish.