Speaker cables for high output amp, low sensitivity speakers?

I know there are a number of threads discussing various speaker cables, at many different budgets. However, in my searching I couldn’t find an answer that I felt was directly on point.

After making quite a few changes to my system over the last 6 months, I have come around to looking at my speaker cables. I currently use a 2.5m pair of Mike Lenehan’s original Ribbontek speaker cables. These have been ideal for me over the years, when I had various amps around the 80 to 120w level paired with the original Lenehan ML1 Ultra 2 ways at 86dB sensitivity. Now I have moved on, and I am using a Vitus RI-101 putting out 300w paired with TAD ME1 3 ways at 84dB sensitivity. I think the speaker cables need to be upgraded to make the most of the new system. My goal is transparency, not warmth. 

i have a budget of about $1k. I always like value for money, and my whole system has been put together with either second hand or demo gear. I’d like some suggestions for cables that might suit the specs I have described for around that budget second  hand or on special. I have a pair of Aurealis on the way for a trial, but would like to consider others. Any info from SNAers who have had a similar amp/speaker combo would be particularly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by markm1111

• 2 weeks later...

Ye olde generic 12g copper will be more than enough. Double it up if you're OCD.

300W isn't a lot. My subs have 2400W/ch/4R and run 6mm mains cable without issue which is more or less the same CSA as 2 x 12g.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

What about the Lenehan Foil Flex speaker cables. They are suppose to be a big improvement on the Ribbontec. I use the Foil Flex and absolutely love them. Why don't you contact Mike and ask him if they would be right with your system? Cheers Warwick.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PKay said:

Hi Mark,

I think you will struggle to better Kimber 8TC which for 2.5m and ultra banana plugs comes in at $686.  I tried a fair few speaker cables before settling on a pair of these.

https://www.jdaudioonline.com.au/product/8tc/

I've been considering these as well. I have a pair of Aurealis prototype cables on loan to try out. Would be great to compare against the Kimber, but don't really want to spend the money just for the sake of comparison. If I decide against the Aurealis, will definitely try the 8TC, even 12 TC maybe.

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, Warwick Robson said:

What about the Lenehan Foil Flex speaker cables. They are suppose to be a big improvement on the Ribbontec. I use the Foil Flex and absolutely love them. Why don't you contact Mike and ask him if they would be right with your system? Cheers Warwick.

Wot E sed.

On 21/02/2019 at 6:11 PM, A9X said:

Ye olde generic 12g copper will be more than enough. Double it up if you're OCD.

Unless, like me, the OP doesn't like stranded cable.  :lol:

Andy

• 2 months later...
On 12/06/2019 at 5:48 PM, Mord said:

just curious, did you settle on the aurealis cables ?
been thinking about trying them myself

Still procrastinating, but am leaning towards the new Aurealis Litz 400. The loaner pair was very impressive. If you email Geoff, the loaner pair is still circulating so you can try for yourself