Sign in to follow this  
cultfilman

Classic Aussie Cinema

11 minutes ago, zippi said:

Hugh Jackman - while very good, for some reason I do not like as an actor.

He is an extremely versatile performer. Is a fine singer as well having done several musicals here at home and in the States. 

Another home based actor I have forgotten is Barry Otto.. father of Miranda who I also left off my list. 

Edited by cultfilman

30 minutes ago, cultfilman said:
39 minutes ago, zippi said:

Mia Wasikowska

She was good in Tracks. Cant think of anything else I have seen her in.

Mia was in Map to the Stars (2014)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2172584/

can be seen on SBS OnDemand currently

4 hours ago, cultfilman said:

What is significant about this list?

1. I know the actors that resonate with me and very often will seek out the movies based on the actors (and directors)

2. it's just gob-smacking to see how many top shelf actors we have here in Aus (or at least have originate here), given the relatively tiny sub 30mil population of Australia. I reckon entire Great Britain would be run off it's feet trying to keep up.

Japanese Story (2003)

Rent Japanese Story (2003) film | CinemaParadiso.co.uk

Saw it in Moonlioght Cinema in Adl parklands near Bot Gdns.

Cloudless starry (late) summer night sky, slightly chilly. (Feb 2003 I think)

Awesome setting for this awesome film.  

6 hours ago, cultfilman said:

What is significant about this list?

No women. I could count on one hand the Australian women that made their careers in the UK at this time. One that stands out for her comedic talents is tiny Esma Cannon. She was in a quite a few Carry On films. You a Carry On devotee? There is a new thread.

Edited by cultfilman

The Man From Hong Kong

The Plumber

The FJ Holden Story

Malcolm

The Coca Cola Kid (Just because Greta Scacchi is unbelievably beautiful)

Tripe

Cheers,

Jason.

Road to Nhill (1997)

Road to Nhill (1997) - Posters — The Movie Database (TMDb)

Only as I'm posting realised this director (Sue Brooks) did the Japanese Story too.

29 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

This one's worth watching if you haven't seen it already. Hugo Weaving and Tony Martin star.

38594_1_front.jpg

another fave aussie thriller/psychological drama and it hardly leaves the interview room.

19 hours ago, cultfilman said:

No women. I could count on one hand the Australian women that made their careers in the UK at this time. One that stands out for her comedic talents is tiny Esma Cannon. She was in a quite a few Carry On films. You a Carry On devotee? There is a new thread.

She was hilarious in The Rag Trade

On 19/02/2019 at 2:08 PM, zippi said:

1. I know the actors that resonate with me and very often will seek out the movies based on the actors (and directors)

2. it's just gob-smacking to see how many top shelf actors we have here in Aus (or at least have originate here), given the relatively tiny sub 30mil population of Australia. I reckon entire Great Britain would be run off it's feet trying to keep up.

This tells her full story

Esma Cannon Filmography: 

June Jago (pictured) was another Australian working in Britain in the 50/60s. 

She made her stage debut in Australia and went to Britain in the 1950s with a touring production of  the Australian play Summer of the Seventeenth Doll.[3] She made her film debut in 1959 in Please Turn Over, alongside Jean Kent, Leslie Phillips and Joan Sims.[4]

She appeared in two of the Carry On films - Carry On Regardless (1961) and Carry On Doctor (1967) - [5] and her other film credits included roles in The Captain's Table (1959), No Kidding (1960), Journey into Darkness (1968), The Games (1970) and Melody (1971). She appeared on television in programmes such as Catweazle and The Good Life.[6]

On stage, she appeared with the Royal Shakespeare Company and the Royal Court Theatre.[7] She also appeared in the Australian films The Man from Snowy River (1982), Double Deal (1983) and Departure (1986) after returning to Australia in the late 1970s,  working notably with the Melbourne Theatre Company, and as a teacher of acting and elocution.

Actress June Jago.jpg

Edited by cultfilman

Judith Anderson 1934-09-11.jpg

Australia's most famous female acting import is without doubt Judith Anderson. 

She made her professional debut (as Francee Anderson) in 1915, at the Theatre Royal, Sydney, in A Royal Divorce... after which she performed in a multitude of plays mostly with the respected Scottish actor Julius Knight whom she later credited with laying the foundations of her acting skills.  

Anderson was ambitious and left Australia not for London like most Australian thespians but rather the US where after a struggle to find her feet found work with the Emma Bunting Stock Company at the Fourteenth Street Theatre in 1918–19.

Anderson made her Broadway debut in Up the Stairs (1922)  and had her first triumph with the play Cobra (1924) co-starring Louis Calhern, which ran for 35 performances. Anderson then went on to The Dove (1925) which went for 101 performances and really established her on Broadway.

She  returned home briefly in 1927 for stage work before returning to Broadway and further success.

Anderson made her feature film debut in Blood Money (1933).

She , however, focused on Broadway: Come of Age (1934), and Divided By Three (1934) before hitting the big time with the lead in Zoë Akins' The Old Maid (1935) from the novel by Edith Wharton, in the role later played on film by Miriam Hopkins. It ran for 305 performances.

In 1937, she joined the Old Vic Company in London and played Lady Macbeth opposite Laurence Olivier in a production by Michel Saint-Denis, at the Old Vic and the New Theatre. 

She then received a career boost when cast in Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca (1940)as the  housekeeper Mrs. Danvers in which she was required to mentally torment the young second Mrs. de Winter (Joan Fontaine), even encouraging her to commit suicide; and taunt her husband (Laurence Olivier) with the memory of his first wife, the never-seen "Rebecca" of the title. The movie was a huge critical and commercial success and Anderson was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar.  

In 1955 she toured Australia with the stage production of Medea after which she featured in more stage and film work.

Anderson.. now Dame Judith never forgot her homeland and in 1975 returned to play a demented landlady in the low budget thriller Inn of the Damned.

Australia's grand dame of stage and screen died in America of pneumonia, in 1992, aged 94.

Edited by cultfilman