Classic Aussie Cinema

3 hours ago, gemini07 said:

One of the scariest, most tense movies I've seen...

Me too. Rotten Tomatoes was very generous with it. I can not fathom how some people rubbished it.

Edited by cultfilman
  • Like 1

Noise (2007)

From The Last Wave to Witness

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Nav72QBxITqp7C5Dq3v4ogHaKX%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

Noise (2007) - Watch Viooz

Quite underrated for all sorts reasons and from all kindsa angles. I mean Animal Kingdom really grabs you and you cannot argue with the greatness. This is a bit of a slower burn of a film - it sorta asks you to give some of yourself, really invest in the watch, and really rewards thereafter.

A paraphrase:

"You can photocopy your ar*se if you like, old Graham. It won't make a scrap of difference."

Whenever I hear the police banter about "mouthbreathers" - each time I get a clear image of one of the senior Aus politicians (that shall remain nameless and their party not specified). 

Edited by zippi
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, cultfilman said:

Well more/less any Aus production bar Bazz Luhrman and Mad Max franchise is bound to be an indie. Seen most of them during the hey-day of DVD rental (some on TV) and also during the availability of spotlight shone by Margaret Pomeranz and David Stratton. I mean, it may have happened mostly before I arrived in Aus in mid 90s, however people used to flock to see the next Aussie gem on the big screen, and although blockbuster superheroes have taken everything over - I refuse to stop digging for the next gem out there.

Yes David Wenham is one of our most versatile actors.. with a wide body of work.

I like Guy Pierce too and Richard Roxborough - but I've got this affinity with Davids work, can't really explain it.

Are there any  full links to these films? 

Dunno man. You'll have to seek them out

Edited by zippi
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, cultfilman said:

image.jpeg.65f8824d53ca447d19540e20932fb55c.jpeg

Many say this is Wenham's best performance.

May well be. Most chilling - definitely. Violence is never explicitly depicted, only implied, however inescapable. Tension so thick in the air, it actually (for me) makes for an uncomfortable watch.

My list of the best Aussie actors seen on film (YMMV):

1. Cate Blanchett

2. Toni Collette

3. David Wenham

3. Bud Tingwell

3. Jacki Weaver

4. David Gulpilil

4. Naomi Watts

5. Jack Thompson

5. Heath Ledger

5. Guy Pearce

5. Ben Mendelsohn

6. Judy Davis

6. Aden Young

6. Geoffrey Rush (despite the sad tendency to abuse power and put younger colleagues in compromising/abusive positions/situations)

7. Mia Wasikowska

7. Bryan Brown

7. Alex Dimitriades

8. Hugo Weaving

8. Bill Hunter 

8. Eric Bana

9. Terry Norris 

9. Frances O'Connor

9. Vince Colosimo

10. Matthew Goode

10. Joel Edgerton

10. Sam Worthington

11. Rachel Griffiths

11. Abbie Cornish

11. Margot Robbie

12. Anthony LaPaglia

12. Dan Wyllie

12. Richard Roxburgh

12. Brendan Cowell

Edited by zippi
added Margot, Ben, Mia, Aden, Richard, Bill, Terry, Matthew, Dan

The list reminds me of another list I saw in an English music magazine. Purportedly the "Top 100 albums of All Time" it then listed 68 albums which had been released in the previous 3 years plus a few Beatles and Pink Floyd thingo's etc.

The list told me little about great albums but a lot about the age of the people compiling the list.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Clydemount said:

The list reminds me of another list I saw in an English music magazine. Purportedly the "Top 100 albums of All Time" it then listed 68 albums which had been released in the previous 3 years plus a few Beatles and Pink Floyd thingo's etc.

The list told me little about great albums but a lot about the age of the people compiling the list.

Yes, as I wrote it yesterday I felt it very light on the classics. I wrote a "disclaimer" to this affect, however due to a bit of a stuff up lost the whole post and forgot to add the note in the re-write. It's a starting point of sorts and definitely needs an update with more vintage actors. However do like it as a bit of a summary of current outstanding Aus actors (excepting Bud Tingwell having passed away in 2009). But lists are inherently and usually flawed instruments.