OZ Classic Television Mini Series

Back in the 80/90s I was so lucky to be entertained by some of the finest television produced in this country.

Who remembers these mini series classics?

Fields Of Fire

A Thousand Skies.

A Fortunate Life

Harp In the South/Poor Man's Orange

Cyclone Tracy.

Any other classic Oz mini series that come to mind? 

Edited by cultfilman

Don't know if you could call it a "mini series" but Seachange was one of the best things I've seen on Australian TV.  Or on anyone else's TV for that matter.  The early seasons of Blue Heelers were no slouches either.  And then there was a 2007 ABC series with Rachel Ward and Gary Sweet (and others) called Rain Shadow that was excellent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brumby said:

Don't know if you could call it a "mini series" but Seachange was one of the best things I've seen on Australian TV.  Or on anyone else's TV for that matter.  The early seasons of Blue Heelers were no slouches either.  And then there was a 2007 ABC series with Rachel Ward and Gary Sweet (and others) called Rain Shadow that was excellent.

Did not see those. There was another with Gary Sweet set in the Depression era. Now what was its title? 

Edited by cultfilman

12 hours ago, zippi said:

As an 80s kid in Yugoslavia (more precisely Bosnia within YU) loved watching All The Rivers Run with young Sigrid Thornton and John Waters on TV Sarajevo  [ tv sa ]

Yes. I recall watching that. There was another with similar theme. Pretty sure I have it in my library. See if I can find it. Will try to send a link if avail.

• Like 1

There's also:

A town called Alice

The Thorn Birds

Both were shown on TV at a time, however it was more mums and aunties watching those.

Don't think I watched a single episode, however remember the names quite well as they both generated quite a buzz and popularity.

2 hours ago, zippi said:

There's also:

A town called Alice

The Thorn Birds

Both were shown on TV at a time, however it was more mums and aunties watching those.

Don't think I watched a single episode, however remember the names quite well as they both generated quite a buzz and popularity.

Of the two A Town Like Alice gets my vote. 

I can link some of these mini series if anyone is interested. Believe me they make just as good watching as they did back then. Only problem is few were changed to DVD so the prints are mostly VHS rips.

Edited by cultfilman

22 hours ago, zippi said:

As an 80s kid in Yugoslavia (more precisely Bosnia within YU) loved watching All The Rivers Run with young Sigrid Thornton and John Waters on TV Sarajevo  [ tv sa ]

That one I was talking about is The River Kings starring veteran actor Bill Kerr. You may find it on YT.

Guest Peter the Greek

The Farm (ABC)

Love is in the Air (ABC)

Blood and thunder the story of alberts (ABC)

ABBA: Bang a Boomerang (ABC)

Would you classify Underbelly as a mini-series? the first one was simply outstanding

Do tele-movies fit here? "Postcard Bandit" and the one about "Thredbo" 

8 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

The Farm (ABC)

Love is in the Air (ABC)

Blood and thunder the story of alberts (ABC)

ABBA: Bang a Boomerang (ABC)

Would you classify Underbelly as a mini-series? the first one was simply outstanding

Do tele-movies fit here? "Postcard Bandit" and the one about "Thredbo" 

Guess so. Thredbo.. the one about Stuart Diver's survival after the avalanche was a two parter from memory? Underbelly was terrific. The Squizzy Taylor episode got my vote. 

Edited by cultfilman

16 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Day of the Roses is another one

Remembering the production from decades past is what makes good television.. Day Of the Roses is the telling of the tragic Granville Train Disaster.. if not mistaken.

Edited by cultfilman