Ben is back

Interesting  movie 

Issues I had for starters 

1. I can’t stand Julia Roberts , she’s is strident and overacts in everything she does.

2.  The characters aren’t likeable , Ben is a drug addict, JR as his mum in unpleasant and overbearing, his younger sister is a betch  and the dad is dick unable to make decision without being over ruled by his wife. 

The first half half of the movie is annoying smaltzy “yay bens back for Christmas” but with the nasty “ best hide the medicines and valuables just in case” Undertone.

but the darker second half picks the movie up and shows the impact of legal and illegal use on middle class America. It’s here that the hedges fella playing Ben shows his skills ( also good in Manchester by the sea) 

there  are some bits that don’t make sense, but a lot better movie than I expected, ost is also good and suitably moody/ foreboding. 

JR still annoys me tho 

Edited by cafe67

5 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Interesting  movie 

Issues I had for starters 

1. I can’t stand Julia Roberts , she’s is strident and overacts in everything she does.

2.  The characters aren’t likeable , Ben is a drug addict, JR as his mum in unpleasant and overbearing, his younger sister is a betch  and the dad is dick unable to make decision without being over ruled by his wife. 

The first half half of the movie is annoying smaltzy “yay bens back for Christmas” but with the nasty “ best hide the medicines and valuables just in case” Undertone.

but the darker second half picks the movie up and shows the impact of legal and illegal use on middle class America. It’s here that the hedges fella playing Ben shows his skills ( also good in Manchester by the sea) 

there  are some bits that don’t make sense, but a lot better movie than I expected, ost is also good and suitably moody/ foreboding. 

JR still annoys me tho 

Dunno how you managed to sit through it Dave I know I couldn't have, particularly with JR.  ?

• Like 2