Went to Quality(?) Records today

• Volunteer

Haven’t been there for ages but I was given a voucher for my birthday and I thought I’d take the opportunity to buy some records. 

Their selection of new vinyl has has almost disappeared. What’s happened?

i usually buy “audiophile” pressings when I get a voucher but even that section only had like 10 records in it. 

The used vinyl section seems quite a lot bigger, but I always went there for their great selection of new stock. No longer it seems. 

Very disappointing. 

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore
  • Like 1

Yeah I used to be a regular there too.  Maybe the new owners don’t want to be loaded with the debt of having a lot of new stock on shelves, but the likely medium term outcome will be you drive away your regular buyers

• Like 1

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, Demondes said:

Yeah I used to be a regular there too.  Maybe the new owners don’t want to be loaded with the debt of having a lot of new stock on shelves, but the likely medium term outcome will be you drive away your regular buyers

I generally prefer buying new and even though they were never the cheapest, their wide selection kept me coming back. 

Doubly disappointing as someone went to the trouble of buying me a very generous voucher which I’m going to struggle to use. 

2 hours ago, Demondes said:

Which is why it's almost impossible to make money out of purely vinyl sales in this country.

Add to that most owners being self-obsessed collectors of the very stock they should be selling, and you have a recipe for financial disaster.

I don't see too many vinyl purveyors riding around in AMG's these days (unless they work for a record company or the distributors).

31 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Which is why it's almost impossible to make money out of purely vinyl sales in this country.

Add to that most owners being self-obsessed collectors of the very stock they should be selling, and you have a recipe for financial disaster.

I don't see too many vinyl purveyors riding around in AMG's these days (unless they work for a record company or the distributors).

Yes, a very good point.

Sometimes being a collector/enthusiast can be a good thing in business, but it can sometimes also be a bit of  a liability and retail margins don't make for getting rich.

Perhaps you could use your gift certificate by asking them to order an “audiophile” pressing for you, on a label they stock.  It might take a while for it to arrive, but at least you will be getting something you like.

I'm sitting on a JB voucher at the moment.  Nothing in store appeals, and some bigger-ticket sets I would be interested in using the certificate for are not listed on their website database. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Perhaps you could use your gift certificate by asking them to order an “audiophile” pressing for you, on a label they stock.  It might take a while for it to arrive, but at least you will be getting something you like.

Yes, I’ve ordered what I want from them as the don’t seem to stock as wide a range now.

I have had more success with Readings, Discrepancy Records and even JB Hifi.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've just got a Quality Records gift voucher too.

I used to buy from them on a regular basis but have only been in there once since the new owners took over.

I was just browsing their online site to see what they had and they seem to have limited the range of both stock and what can be ordered in. 

For instance I searched for Joni Mitchell and they don't have anything in stock by her, or able to be ordered, which I find amazing.

Also, many of the New Arrivals are out of stock which I don't understand i.e how could something be a New Arrival but out of stock?

Herby

On 10/02/2019 at 2:39 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Except that I was given a voucher for Quality records. 

1 hour ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

They do have good stock, but they don’t accept vouchers from Quantity Records 

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

You got two vouchers?

Pedantic, I know...

I'm very sorry to hear that Quality is not doing so well. I was unaware that there are new owners, as not only did I buy quite a lot there, but I sent a heap of my turntable customers there (I used to sell turntables and do setups professionaly for years). With vinyl sales increasing, we need good, knowledgeably retailers to supply us. 

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, magical said:

I'm very sorry to hear that Quality is not doing so well. I was unaware that there are new owners, as not only did I buy quite a lot there, but I sent a heap of my turntable customers there (I used to sell turntables and do setups professionaly for years). With vinyl sales increasing, we need good, knowledgeably retailers to supply us. 

I have no idea if they are doing well

or not. My comments were about their very limited range. For all I know they are doing fabulously