Sign in to follow this  
anewmission

Atmos processor with decent analog section?

So i guess the title says it.

I want a home theatre, i also want a stereo listening room. Unfortunately i only have room for one.

I have several 2 channel power amplifiers which will sit in a rackmount. They are pro/power amps. I love watching movies and listening to music so i want to get the best out of both. I have an external dac so the pre doesnt really need an internal stereo dac. I listen to vinyl occasionally. And have a reel to reel but never really use that.

I dont have a huge budget. I was looking at some of the emotiva stuff but doesnt seem to have the best reviews, and most of the atmos dsp processors dont have phono.

I suppose if i spend under budget then i could buy a phono pre.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Perhaps a Home Theater receiver of your choice and a Stereo pre with a Home theatre by pass.

The combo will allow you the HT experience you want then with the flick of a switch in the 2 channel pre it becomes a stereo only system giving all the benefits of a dedicated two channel setup.

Not clear how much space you have. Is it one box only or do you have room for the 2 box setup as per @joz suggestion which gives you best of both worlds.

What is your budget?  An Atmos prepro will do the job, assuming you have the power amps for all the channels, but they are not cheap. 

And agree it is better to get a seperate phono stage. 

Re phono stages ... it depends, some brands eg musical fidelity. Audio research, arcam, actually build in a decent phono stage which have to spend a bit to improve on :)

Definitely any add on phono stage will improve on anything built in av professors avrs

Perhaps a Home Theater receiver of your choice and a Stereo pre with a Home theatre by pass.
The combo will allow you the HT experience you want then with the flick of a switch in the 2 channel pre it becomes a stereo only system giving all the benefits of a dedicated two channel setup.
So i could use any atmos pre and then feed the main left and right to a stereo pre and then feed the left and right outs to a power amp? Using the surround outs on the atmos pre to other power amps?

11 minutes ago, anewmission said:

So i could use any atmos pre and then feed the main left and right to a stereo pre and then feed the left and right outs to a power amp? Using the surround outs on the atmos pre to other power amps?

Correct. Ideally, stereo pre should have HT bypass, otherwise, you need to note volume position of stereo pre for use with HT.

Correct. Ideally, stereo pre should have HT bypass, otherwise, you need to note volume position of stereo pre for use with HT.
By doing this, when in theatre bypass mode the dsp pre will have no effect on sound?

I have a AVR integrated into my 2 channel system by using the front left and right pre outs from the AVR into my 2 channel preamp. Separate DAC and phono stages as part of 2 channel system. My preamp does not have a HT bypass. As Snoopy notes, I have noted a sensible volume level to run the 2 channel pre at when using with the AVR, and have used the AVR for the other surround channels. The sub is a REL which uses the High level from the 2 channel power amp as well as the .1 LFE sub out from the AVR. It all integrates really well. No impact on quality of 2 (plus sub) channel system, but also allows me to use the same front speakers for both 2 channel and home theatre.

46 minutes ago, anewmission said:
2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

By doing this, when in theatre bypass mode the dsp pre will have no effect on sound?

Implemented properly, HT bypass in the stereo preamp should have no effect on sound of Atmos prepro and no impact on volume.  

Ok thankyou. Learn something new everyday.
Now i have to find a bargain.

33 minutes ago, anewmission said:

Ok thankyou. Learn something new everyday.
Now i have to find a bargain.

So are you going for the stereo preamp with HT bypass or still after a 1 box solution?

I think i am going to go with a emotiva dsp atmos pre, into a stereo pre and then use 4-5 power amps for the speakers. I have the power amps in a big rackmount unit so that will be completely out of the way, and i will have the pre amps within remote control reach.
I am now just wondering if i should use really long rca's to get to the power amps or xlr's with adapters.
Im thinking im going to have problems with unbalanced connections at long distances?

32 minutes ago, anewmission said:

I am now just wondering if i should use really long rca's to get to the power amps or xlr's with adapters.

Im thinking im going to have problems with unbalanced connections at long distances?

How long is distance?  And what equipment or devices are likely to cause problems?   Using XLR with adapters unlikely to help... 

3-5 metres. I was just going to use microphone xlrs to save some money.

Unless you have a noisy environment, 3 to 5 m RCA should be ok. I would not use the cheapest cable around and there is a debate over the worth of expensive cables.  Perhaps this cable from Selby?

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/sennheiser/ugly-cable/nr-3-0m-ugly-ultra-premium-stereo-audio-cable-2rca-2rca-ug07073.html

Unless you have a noisy environment, 3 to 5 m RCA should be ok. I would not use the cheapest cable around and there is a debate over the worth of expensive cables.  Perhaps this cable from Selby?
https://www.selby.com.au/brands/sennheiser/ugly-cable/nr-3-0m-ugly-ultra-premium-stereo-audio-cable-2rca-2rca-ug07073.html
The thing is that my power amps are all pro/power amps so they only have xlr and trs inputs. So i was thinking if i used a multicore, not necessarily the one in the link i posted, i could solder rca to one end for the pre amp and then xlr on the power amp side. That way there would be just one chunky cable running across the room

4 minutes ago, anewmission said:

The thing is that my power amps are all pro/power amps so they only have xlr and trs inputs. 

Ok, I now understand.  There are prepros and preamps with XLRs but they may be beyond budget.  If you are soldering, suggest getting better gold connectors...

What is the best connector? Gold, silver, copper, zinc or nickel?

I will try to get a stereo pre with xlr outs but i think most dsp's with xlr outs will be out of price range

43 minutes ago, anewmission said:

What is the best connector? Gold, silver, copper, zinc or nickel?

Getting out of my domain, I believe gold ones. 

Getting out of my domain, I believe gold ones. 
Yeh i just did some research, silver is a better conductor but gold takes alot longer to corrode. I guess for a really high quality cable it would be insulated silver wire with gold played silver connectors. Or copper wire for the positive wire and silver for the negative. Quite interesting. Recording studios use hundreds of metres of crappy cables and all of us audiophiles spend a tonne on expensive cables to listen to the music that was recorded with crappy instrument cables. I once met a guy who had recorded some of the biggest artist in the world and he told me that they would use power extension cables as speaker cables and just cut off the ground wire.

https://factorysound.com/t/categories/leads-and-adaptors/mic-signal?&order=desc&sort=price&per_page=48

or

For interconnects you could speak to [mention=147118]Bill125812[/mention] .
Wow so microphone xlr's really are the same as hifi xlr's? I have a small project recording studio. I have tonnes of them

1 hour ago, anewmission said:
7 hours ago, joz said:

https://factorysound.com/t/categories/leads-and-adaptors/mic-signal?&order=desc&sort=price&per_page=48

or

For interconnects you could speak to [mention=147118]Bill125812[/mention] .

Read more  

Wow so microphone xlr's really are the same as hifi xlr's? I have a small project recording studio. I have tonnes of them

They just don’t use the term HiFi and cost much less.

But there are different cables and connectors that may make a difference or not in your situation.

They just don’t use the term HiFi and cost much less.
But there are different cables and connectors that may make a difference or not in your situation.

Yeh i always thought instrument cables must be really decent as they are unplugged and plugged in so much, stepped on and twisted into bundles. I have some fender guitar leads that have a lifetime warranty. I use them from my adc/dac into powered monitors.
I saw some $10k genelec monitors that have won a whole bunch of awards. They use ethernet cables.