anewmission

Atmos processor with decent analog section?

So i guess the title says it.

I want a home theatre, i also want a stereo listening room. Unfortunately i only have room for one.

I have several 2 channel power amplifiers which will sit in a rackmount. They are pro/power amps. I love watching movies and listening to music so i want to get the best out of both. I have an external dac so the pre doesnt really need an internal stereo dac. I listen to vinyl occasionally. And have a reel to reel but never really use that.

I dont have a huge budget. I was looking at some of the emotiva stuff but doesnt seem to have the best reviews, and most of the atmos dsp processors dont have phono.

I suppose if i spend under budget then i could buy a phono pre.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Perhaps a Home Theater receiver of your choice and a Stereo pre with a Home theatre by pass.

The combo will allow you the HT experience you want then with the flick of a switch in the 2 channel pre it becomes a stereo only system giving all the benefits of a dedicated two channel setup.

Not clear how much space you have. Is it one box only or do you have room for the 2 box setup as per @joz suggestion which gives you best of both worlds.

What is your budget?  An Atmos prepro will do the job, assuming you have the power amps for all the channels, but they are not cheap. 

And agree it is better to get a seperate phono stage. 

Re phono stages ... it depends, some brands eg musical fidelity. Audio research, arcam, actually build in a decent phono stage which have to spend a bit to improve on :)

Definitely any add on phono stage will improve on anything built in av professors avrs

Perhaps a Home Theater receiver of your choice and a Stereo pre with a Home theatre by pass.
The combo will allow you the HT experience you want then with the flick of a switch in the 2 channel pre it becomes a stereo only system giving all the benefits of a dedicated two channel setup.
So i could use any atmos pre and then feed the main left and right to a stereo pre and then feed the left and right outs to a power amp? Using the surround outs on the atmos pre to other power amps?

11 minutes ago, anewmission said:

So i could use any atmos pre and then feed the main left and right to a stereo pre and then feed the left and right outs to a power amp? Using the surround outs on the atmos pre to other power amps?

Correct. Ideally, stereo pre should have HT bypass, otherwise, you need to note volume position of stereo pre for use with HT.

Correct. Ideally, stereo pre should have HT bypass, otherwise, you need to note volume position of stereo pre for use with HT.
By doing this, when in theatre bypass mode the dsp pre will have no effect on sound?

I have a AVR integrated into my 2 channel system by using the front left and right pre outs from the AVR into my 2 channel preamp. Separate DAC and phono stages as part of 2 channel system. My preamp does not have a HT bypass. As Snoopy notes, I have noted a sensible volume level to run the 2 channel pre at when using with the AVR, and have used the AVR for the other surround channels. The sub is a REL which uses the High level from the 2 channel power amp as well as the .1 LFE sub out from the AVR. It all integrates really well. No impact on quality of 2 (plus sub) channel system, but also allows me to use the same front speakers for both 2 channel and home theatre.

46 minutes ago, anewmission said:
2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

By doing this, when in theatre bypass mode the dsp pre will have no effect on sound?

Implemented properly, HT bypass in the stereo preamp should have no effect on sound of Atmos prepro and no impact on volume.  

Ok thankyou. Learn something new everyday.
Now i have to find a bargain.