Electronic currently spinning

Alva Noto - Xerox Vol 1, very relaxing and sonically challeging.

Oval - O, amazing really...very listenable for Oval.

Both of these artists have pushed the conceptual boundaries of music and sound well beyond their peers... Not for everyone but everyone into sound should give them and Ryoji Ikeda a shot at least once...

Edited by houdinifangs
  • Like 1

Globalunderground GU39 Lithuania - Dave Seaman - sensational 2CD compilation for anybody who loves progressive/tech house. CD1 is brilliant and sounds wonderful on a nice system.

Tom Middleton - Sounds of the Cosmos - still love this 3CD compilation of house, tech, and electronica.

Layo & Bushwacka! - Night Works - sensational album that is still high on rotation despite being released about 8 years ago.

Marek Hemmann - Gemini - cracking track!

Dusty Kid - A Raver's Diary - great album

Also listening to Third Ear Audio thanks to the recommendation of a member in the reference tracks thread someone on SNA :hiccup

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me the label to beat for quality elctronic music is Ninja Tunes. So many class artists - Amon Tobin, DJ Food, Funki Porcini, Coldcut, Mr Scruff, Cinematic Orchestra, Jagga Jazzist, Skalpel, The Herbaliser & many more. I must have a couple of dozen Zen / Ninja releases and I do love the compilations they regularly release.

This year they have been going for twenty years, no mean feat for a fringe genre like electronic music is.

Grimmie

• Like 3

For me the label to beat for quality elctronic music is Ninja Tunes.

Grimmie

Possibly, I also enjoy many of the minimal experimental artists on the Touch label such as Fennesz, Oren Ambarchi, Biosphere and Ryoji Ikeda. Touch also reissues albums from the Mego label. The Raster-Norton also releases a lot of good experimental electronic including Alva Noto and Ryoji Ikeda. Thrill Jockey although not exclusively an electronic label have some pivotal electronic artists such as Oval, Mouse on Mars and Nobukazu Takemura.

Currently I’m listening to Fenessez/Daniell/Buck – Knoxville. This EP is a live recording of this trio. BTW the Buck in this group is none other than the Tony Buck from The Necks. I hope they release a studio album as this is simply too short.

This looks interesting:

SND's successful ATAVISM album is now available on SDHC card (4 GB). The card contains all tracks in a special high quality format:

sampling rate: 96 kHz

bit depth: 24 bit

file format: wav

The tracks were specially mastered by Dubplates&Mastering, Berlin. Please make sure that your soundcard accepts this sampling rate.

Edited by houdinifangs

Possibly, I also enjoy many of the minimal experimental artists on the Touch label such as Fennesz, Oren Ambarchi, Biosphere and Ryoji Ikeda. Touch also reissues albums from the Mego label. The Raster-Norton also releases a lot of good experimental electronic including Alva Noto and Ryoji Ikeda. Thrill Jockey although not exclusively an electronic label have some pivotal electronic artists such as Oval, Mouse on Mars and Nobukazu Takemura.

Currently I’m listening to Fenessez/Daniell/Buck – Knoxville. This EP is a live recording of this trio. BTW the Buck in this group is none other than the Tony Buck from The Necks. I hope they release a studio album as this is simply too short.

I have a couple of Mouse on Mars CD's and enjoy them when in the mood. "Niun Niggung" is great and compared to "Radical connector" an easy listen. The latter one is definitely a more rare mood moment, - tough going.

A few more, the first two Ninja again, "Black Sands" from this year, jazzy in style and on my 2010 top buys list. "The music scene" from last year, a little harder edged and highly recommended. The last one Swayzac "Some Other Country" more techno and would be further into the 'electronic' description than the others.

packshot.jpgzencd149.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=42905&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1188320744

That leads to a good question, much of dance music has an electronic element, so where does dance music stop and electronic music start.

The Bonobo album for instance has many tracks that some may say are not electronic music as such. As Thom Yorke says "Where I end and You Begin" It's a good metaphor, for much of his music too.

Edited by Grimmie
  • Like 2

That leads to a good question, much of dance music has an electronic element, so where does dance music stop and electronic music start.

A good question indeed. Perhaps it could come back to the intent and/or effect of the music-does it make you feel like dancing? Does the music provide more mental fodder than just dancing?

I will end with another question. Music has more or less had a co-dependent relationship with technological innovation in order to progress. Computers are of the most recent, but, to an extent computer music has reached a point of technological perfection whereby MORE quality may emerge but in which new forms are unlikely. Therefore is electronic music the end of music?

I'm no expert on the man but I do have one CD featuring his trumpet and Flugelhorn playing. It's the ECM album "No Matter" with Mark Nauseef, Kudsi Erguner and Bill Laswell. A strange album of mostly meditation and ambient sounds, quite beautiful in places, but definitely music to be in the mood for.

Having said that the awesome effect Nauseef's bells and gongs offer a few nice Hi-fi appreciation moments.

Grimmie