Anthem AVM60 settings

Hi Folks,

I have just purchased a new PB16 Ultra. I am pairing it with Golden Ear Triton 1's and an Anthem AVM60 processor. I require some advice on the settings.....

I have left the Low Pass Filter de-activated on the sub phone app. Within the Bass Management settings on the Anthem I have the 'Subwoofer LPF for LFE' set at 70Hz  and the 'Front Crossover' set at 70Hz. I'm not sure this is the correct way to set it up so thought I'd ask. 

Any help is appreciated.

Guest thathifiguy
27 minutes ago, praljak said:

Hi Folks,

I have just purchased a new PB16 Ultra. I am pairing it with Golden Ear Triton 1's and an Anthem AVM60 processor. I require some advice on the settings.....

I have left the Low Pass Filter de-activated on the sub phone app. Within the Bass Management settings on the Anthem I have the 'Subwoofer LPF for LFE' set at 70Hz  and the 'Front Crossover' set at 70Hz. I'm not sure this is the correct way to set it up so thought I'd ask. 

Any help is appreciated.

You will want some overlap between the two, so if you're happy for your fronts to go down to 70hz, maybe set the sub to kick in from around 90 - 100hz.

Suggest letting ARC run normally, then use profiles to tweak the settings. Profile 1 = normal, Profile 2 = cross over same for mains and sub, Profile 3 = overlap cross over. Profile 4 = mains to full.

There is no "right" answer, listen and determine what is best for your room and setup.

• Like 3

I would second this.
What a speaker manufacturer says a speaker can do vs actual is another. Plus the LFE channel is meant to be set at +10dB to your mains... So if you run them below 80hz those frequencies are not at +10dB whereas the sub is meant to be.

Suggestion maybe run mains at 70hz roll-off, Sub crossover at 90hz as you need to allow for dB per octave roll-off

You will want some overlap between the two, so if you're happy for your fronts to go down to 70hz, maybe set the sub to kick in from around 90 - 100hz.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hi, I can shed some light on this.

In the Anthem units (and most others) where you set the speaker high-pass crossover and subwoofer low-pass crossover are independent.  So if you set the left speaker crossover to 70Hz, the pre-amp will send all low frequency information on the left channel below 70Hz to the subwoofer.  This does not affect the LFE channel at all.  This is called a High-pass crossover, meaning that frequencies higher than this setting will be sent to the speaker.

For the subwoofer, the LFE channel goes up to 130-150Hz typically, so set your sub crossover to 150Hz.  All LFE data below 150Hz and all Left channel data below 70Hz will be sent to the sub.  

If you set the subwoofer low-pass crossover to 70Hz you will miss all LFE info above 70Hz up to 150Hz, which is a bad thing.

Also, let the Anthem ARC software measure your sub and it will suggest an appropriate low-pass crossover, see what it gives you then tune it to taste.

Scott