10 Year Old Pana TV's will not dieeee

10 hours ago, abeernut said:

If a suitable remote is needed, looks like Logitech have this brand and model in their database to program their Harmony remote controls.

Perhaps other "universal" remote(s) may also have it built in as a selectable choice?

Cheers.

Doesn't matter, only the grandchildren used it to play on the playstation, they don't use it anymore. Thanks anyway and handy to know though.

Edited by Mr_Gadget

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, SLE355 said:

The D8000 let go today, bad timing for an 2018 OLED. ?

I just bought a Sony A8F Oled to replace my Pana plasma (with its bright vertical green line)....the Sony picture quality is awesome. 

On 13/02/2019 at 11:43 AM, Janjuc said:

I also have a 58" Samsung plasma, about the same age, which since Christmas time has developed a faint purple hue across the top of the screen, it is about 5mm wide and only shows up when there is a white or very pale colour in that area. If some has had a similar problem, do you know how long it may take before failure??

Cheers,

JJ

I have an early-mid 2000's LG plasma which has done this for at least 10 years. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to cark it.

On 08/05/2019 at 4:58 PM, betty boop said:

you want 2019... one of the panas that have all bases covered ! 

Yeah, hopefully getting the D8000 fixed and will get one later in the year when prices come down.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 5:29 PM, Whites said:

I just bought a Sony A8F Oled to replace my Pana plasma (with its bright vertical green line)....the Sony picture quality is awesome. 

Still some around but a bit pricey compared to what the Pana was a month or two ago. If they bottom out under 3K i could jump though.

@SLE355 I was waiting as well, but finally gave in when the green line appeared more regularly and JB had their 20% off Easter sale combined with current Sony $300 eftpos card. Ended up costing me $3,300.

Worth every cent.

Edited by Whites
spelling
  • Like 1

I’m in the Pana plazzy gang but I must admit that A8F picture is mesmerising

My old man has a Pioneer 50” plasma that’s more than 10 years old.

Still works and looks as good as the day he got it.

Its hard to imagine any of the current tvs lasting as well.

My VT60 won’t be going anywhere soon....

Edited by Tim D
grammar
  • Like 1

Just spotted this thread and also an old pana owner which has outlasted three bloody samsungs and is soldiering on on playstation duties in my teenage sons room and beleive me it gets some serious hours of workout in there.

They dont make like that anymore!

On 13/02/2019 at 2:43 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Another with a 10yo Panasonic 50" plasma that to me doesn't look any different than when new.

I also have a 58" Samsung plasma, about the same age, which since Christmas time has developed a faint purple hue across the top of the screen, it is about 5mm wide and only shows up when there is a white or very pale colour in that area. If some has had a similar problem, do you know how long it may take before failure??

Cheers,

JJ

My Pioneer Kuro has been doing exactly this for a few years now. Very noticable during the Winter Olympics or Sat arv SBS figure skating which myself and the missus like to watch but besides that we dont really notice it and it doesnt bother me. I keep thinking we will upgrade to a Panny Oled one day but we are not flush and buying an Oled is such a moving target. I think ill wait till the Kuro is pretty much umwatchable. Might be a year or 2 off yet. 

Just now, Darren69 said:

My LG telly from 2010 still going strong and getting compliments on picture quality from visitors.

good ot hear daz. I had a complement just the other day, someone visiting ... this is a plasma ? looking at my pio kuro with some appreciation and with the look as though they had just spotted a rare species of wildebeest ...:D 

.... and then said ... amazing isnt it people just throw them away ? ? 

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

good ot hear daz. I had a complement just the other day, someone visiting ... this is a plasma ? looking at my pio kuro with some appreciation and with the look as though they had just spotted a rare species of wildebeest ...:D 

.... and then said ... amazing isnt it people just throw them away ? ? 

Gotta keep up with the Joneses mate. :D

Yes, terrible really.

Will check out what it is when I get home.

• Haha 1

Just checked the panel hours on the 50" G10 Pana i'm using while the Samsung is out of order, only at 2616 hours, turned on 2825 times. Pretty low for a 10 year old TV I'd say.

9 hours ago, SLE355 said:

Just checked the panel hours on the 50" G10 Pana i'm using while the Samsung is out of order, only at 2616 hours, turned on 2825 times. Pretty low for a 10 year old TV I'd say.

Hi, how do you check the this? Wouldn't mind checking mine.

2 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

@betty boop heres my trusty servant-

https://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-42LE5310-lcd-tv

Oct 2010 build date, going strong. I'm not checking the hours because others in the link warn it can be stuffed up so I am not going there. :D 

wow its even still on their website... yeah am not going into service menus checking hours and such either darren. thats its still there happily doing its thing and still perfectly well all it counts :)

• Like 1

It’s a piece of cake. Follow the directions and you can’t go wrong. Worst thing that can happen is that you find yourself in the wrong part of the menu and then all you have to do is turn the tv off at the main switch and back on again and it comes on normally and out of the menu. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am the opposite my GT55 and my mum’s GT50 Pana’s circa 6/7 years old both died of the dreaded 7 flashes of death.
All my Samsung’s are still going strong 6 and 10 years so went down to JB and got another Samsung.

Picked up the RU7100 65 for $1300 which I believe is a cracker price for one of these.

I have a 61" pioneer circa 2004-2005. The elite one. Nec panel with pioneer tech. It only weighs 100kg with the stand.. Haha
Anyway it has a bright yellow line vertical.. Wondering if anyone knows someone in Sydney who could fix this??
I still use my 50" pioneer lx5090 as my main TV. Never skipped a beat. Slight burn in from my own fault :(