Sansui77

10 Year Old Pana TV's will not dieeee

don't take any notice of the sales person, when I was shopping for my 75" they were all trying to tell me to buy a samsung.

I think they are paid a higher commission to unload the samsung tv's.  when I went into HN the second time to look at the pansonic 

I stated to the sales person I wanted to look at the panasonic and he stated very good choice. I asked him wasn't he going to tell me samsung was a better tv.  this guy knew what he was talking about.  

I have a ten year old Panasonic that's just been replaced by a 60 series 50 inch.  The 60 series definitely has a better picture especially on HD material but the old plasma has much better sound.  I found out how to get the screen hours and the old one has around 7000 which over ten years seems to be surprisingly low.   I put the old Pana on Ebay and it sold for not a whole lot.  The buyer never contacted me so it's still sitting here.    Guess I should advertise it FS on SNA.

I have a ten year old Panasonic that's just been replaced by a 60 series 50 inch.  The 60 series definitely has a better picture especially on HD material but the old plasma has much better sound.  I found out how to get the screen hours and the old one has around 7000 which over ten years seems to be surprisingly low.   I put the old Pana on Ebay and it sold for not a whole lot.  The buyer never contacted me so it's still sitting here.    Guess I should advertise it FS on SNA.
Thats happened to me before. I guess 3 months would be enough time to be safe

My ~2010   P54V20A is still going strong.    Best $100 I've ever spent  (bought used with intermittent power issue, but has been fine for me).       Because of the fault I've been expecting death at any moment but it refuses to go.       I've got no need for 4K at the moment so I'm happy for it to hang around while I continue to watch OLED prices come down.    

the V20A replaced an older 42" plasma which I subsequently gave to my sister and is also still ticking along fine.  

I do have an LG C8 65" OLED but only due to the failure of a great Samsung plasma under insurance - would not have actually purchased OLED yet. I believe the 4K format has a lot more maturing to do yet. 4k material looks great (mostly youtube), my Bluray player upscales to 4K so the Blurays look good too (once I get an actual native 4k player it will be great), however there's a bit to be desired in smoothness / judder department and sub 1080 FTA tv (including ondemand) looks pretty crap/rough - totally outshined by my old plasma. Shame there was no (cost effective?) way to implement 4K on plasma. I am actually questioning whether consumer ever needed anything better than 1080p res and how much of a marketing ploy (get your upgrade bug going) is the whole 4K/8K urgency. There is an improvement - definitely, however is it as much as is being spruiked - don't know and very much doubt it.

Hi All,

Another with a 10yo Panasonic 50" plasma that to me doesn't look any different than when new.

I also have a 58" Samsung plasma, about the same age, which since Christmas time has developed a faint purple hue across the top of the screen, it is about 5mm wide and only shows up when there is a white or very pale colour in that area. If some has had a similar problem, do you know how long it may take before failure??

Cheers,

JJ

Edited by Janjuc