Hi from New Norfolk, Tasmania

Mr Maps

New member from down south guys. Just recently been getting back into stereo gear again after my teenage son started showing interest in putting together a setup of his own. I do have a question for some more in-the-know peeps actually. I recently bought a centre speaker that was sold to me as a Yamaha NS-C80, but after researching it, it most definitely is not. The problem is, there is no details on the back to know what it actually is. I'm not even sure if it is even a Yamaha speaker. I've spent a decent amount of time searching the www, and the closest resemblance to any Yamaha centre speaker that I can find is the Yamaha NS-CG75, although that has black drivers, no ports, and a completely different grille. Don't get me wrong, it is a well built speaker, decent weight, good sound, looks good, but I have my doubts it's a Yamaha speaker, which is what I was ultimately after. I've attached 3 pics of the speaker I bought, the last pic is of the Yamaha NS-CG75 (black drivers) which is the closest I've found to the one I bought. Ultimately, what I'm asking is, does anyone actually know what it actually is? Cheers guys

s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

Yamaha NS-CG75.jpg

Welcome Ben,

I can't help with identifying the speaker, I'm sorry.

If you don't get any ideas from other members, you might consider carefully removing one of the mid-bass drivers to see if there are any clues inside, like driver brand/model number or any identifying labels or text on the crossover.

• Like 1

That's my next step if I can't get a visual ID from anyone here surprisetech, I'd just rather not have to dismantle it. The dust covers on these drivers are like a very fine mesh, so would be very easily damaged, and I would like to avoid that. Soundbyte, I've lived in the valley my whole life ?

Finally!! I now know what this centre speaker is!! And it IS a Yamaha to boot. It's model is the NS-CC100C, and it's a Canadian made speaker. Not the specs I was hoping for, but it does put out a decent sound, so that does work in its favour. Here are some pics, and although the drivers are black in these pics, its the same speaker. I have a feeling they may be the same black drivers used in the NS-CG75. I also found a low quality pic of an old brochure showing that whole range (fronts, rears, centre....) with the white drivers. So, mystery solved!Screenshot_20190208-212734_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ac36697cd05768530833b6da3e099716.jpgScreenshot_20190208-212855_Chrome.thumb.jpg.aa91af0a21fc62234adb3cc2f41913d0.jpgScreenshot_20190208-212813_Chrome.thumb.jpg.65182c75a1fd0f0582242a0e58d35182.jpgScreenshot_20190208-215944_eBay.jpg.c8f77d3513511839fbce569726277cb4.jpgScreenshot_20190208-212614_Chrome.thumb.jpg.adbd8230c65193c8825e16fd614ff46b.jpg

I remember going to NN in the late 70's to play footy. Freezing bloody cold and during  our game a loud siren went off about 10 mins into the first quarter. We all stopped but the NN kids didn't bat an eyelid. I asked what was that to one of them and they said nothing, just another escape from the mentally deranged prison farm on the hill. Could't get out of there fast enough and we lost the game! Changed a lot since those days as went through NN on way to Strahan a few weeks ago. Welcome @Mr Maps.

• Like 1

Haha, yes definitely changed a lot from those days, and I used to work with some of those guys out in the community after the mental hospital closed down and the guys were sent out into the community into group homes. Love the place, it'll always be home, but have really been contemplating moving away to escape our winters here as they really don't agree with my body anymore...