twofires

Tiny boxes - Wharfedale Denton, Spendor A1, ProAc Tablette 10, Harbeth P3ESR - thoughts?

Just curious as to whether anyone has heard many of these, and how they compare (or don't). I'm curious about the style of speaker for my bedroom setup, as the room does not require a lot of additional bass from the speakers, and they need to be close to the wall anyway, AND a "relaxed" sound signature suits the use case (i.e. me sitting back in bed listening to music to unwind). 

I've included my "on paper" impressions in parentheses for each speaker. 

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary (looks like $5 drivers in a nice box, might be a bit too dull-sounding, based on reviews) 

Spendor A1 (right price, right name, right look in the natural oak, hard to track down in the wild, very few opinions online, are they too far down the Spendor hierarchy to be worthwhile?) 

ProAc Tablette 10 (price starting to get up there, seems good, current amp possibly too powerful at 70wpc into 8ohms, is this just for valve amps?) 

Harbeth P3ESR (everyone agrees these are great, but I'm hoping one of the others will be 2/3rds as great for a fraction of the outlay)

Edited by twofires

Hi,

Just wondering about the equipment you were going to partner with these speakers?

Also are you going to stand mount the speakers in your bedroom?

10 minutes ago, Hifigeek said:

Hi,

Just wondering about the equipment you were going to partner with these speakers?

Also are you going to stand mount the speakers in your bedroom?

Hi there, 

The amp is a Marantz PM8006, there's a turntable with an Audio-Technica AT33SA cart, an Emotiva phono pre that I may upgrade to a SUT down the road as I hear the phono stage in the Marantz is actually rather good, and there will be a matching Marantz ND8006 network CD player that may come before or after the speakers depending on what crops up.

Due to space constraints, and the height of the bed, the speakers will be atop an Ikea Kallax unit, so speakers that are forgiving with placement are preferred.  I am led to believe both the Spendor and the ProAc meet that requirement, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Edited by twofires

For a relaxed presentation, Q Acoustics 3020 or Concept 20 might be worth a demo. They come with port bungs which could be handy for your placement requirements.

I used the 3050 floorstanders in a bedroom/study setup for lower volume listening, they had the ideal type of presentation. 

21 minutes ago, deanB said:

For a relaxed presentation, Q Acoustics 3020 or Concept 20 might be worth a demo. They come with port bungs which could be handy for your placement requirements.

I used the 3050 floorstanders in a bedroom/study setup for lower volume listening, they had the ideal type of presentation. 

I'm thinking more of the classic BBC, full, vibrant, woody midrange sound than a modern clean British one, but failing any of the above options I'll certainly take the 3020s into consideration. The main thing is that it's clear without being shrill. I'm running older Monitor Audio Bronze 2s at the moment - the bass is too boomy for the position in the room, the mid-range is okay, and the treble is a bit rubbery, if that makes sense. 

The Graham/Chartwell LS3/5 are the best tiny speakers I've heard. The Harbeth P3ESR are just behind them, then the Spendor S3/5.

36 minutes ago, rossb said:

The Graham/Chartwell LS3/5 are the best tiny speakers I've heard. The Harbeth P3ESR are just behind them, then the Spendor S3/5.

I made there's mistake of looking up the price of the Grahams while drinking my morning coffee.  😅 I have no doubt they sound amazing, though. 

I think the Spendors are more realistic for someone of my means. Mostly I'm curious about how their budget "A Line" compares to their classic stuff.

Here comes the cat amongst the pigeons.

Having owned both Harbeth and Spendors admittedly little bit further up the chain than the models you’ve selected also Rogers which are of a similar vein to all of these brands, I started with Sansui as the main amplification I ran different amps including valves with them thinking I could improve the sound and eventually made my way back to Sansui anyway, and that is still the case today.

Not saying the Marantz won’t do the job I can’t comment on that I’m sure its a fine amp however I found with this “flavour ” of speakers that the vintage amps do “synergise” well, obviously I’m biased towards the brand but I will say I’ve been through the audio journey maybe not as long as some of the people on here and this is what I’ve decided I can live with for the rest of my time on this planet, have I given up on the quest no I’m just satisfied. 

Edited by BATMAQN

What about Triangle Titus ez? Very small speakers as well. 

Also Quad s2s are pretty small and sound amazing.

realistic minimus 7 - supplement with a small subwoofer - best "value for money" sound you can get in a small package IMHO but will be a compromise in the "aesthetic" - or some of the smaller vintage B&O models - thinks 70s era - if you can find them in good nick and at the right price.

thread on the 7s

suggested B&O 2400 - if you can find them

or not quite as refined but still good and plenty of bass try some of these

Cx50 or 100

Edited by andythiing