JBL Options...experience??

Hi All,

Just doing some research into JBL speakers following what I describes at the time an almost "cathartic" experience at the Hi Fi show a few years back when listening to the 4367's. These speakers are way out of my reach but I at the time I locked onto their smaller 4429's as achievable & actually committed to buying a pair from the classifieds about 2 years ago before the seller decided to take the "local money & pick up option" which whilst I was slightly "miffed" at the time, I can understand.

Anywho...what I would like to know is any experiences with 4429's, S3900 & S4700 as these appear to be in reach for me at some stage in the future.

I'm currently running Dynaudio Focus 380's powered by Ayre Pre/Power.....I'm not planning on changing the Ayre Pre but I may replace the Ayre power amp (VX-5) with some tube amplifcation (not easy with Dyn's @ 88 dB / 4 Ohm)....Most of the JBL's are 92-94 dB so this should give me more choices when matching tube amplification.

My only concern with the 4429's is their size as I would prefer floorstanders BUT...this isn't deal breaker depending on the performance Vs $$$ of the S3900 & S4700 (size of these also a concern as they're huge). I did read online somewhere that the S3900 is the natural progression from the 4429 in that is sonic signature is similar but the 3900 is a richer, fuller sound?

At the end of the day I'm after that visceral, live, in the room with the musician feel that I don't quite have at the moment. What I do have at the moment is what I would describe as the "Hi FI" sound, very analytical, detailed etc...but maybe a bit dry, not really as an emotional experience as I want/need. I want to come home from work & "need" to listen to music as it allows me to escape..I have a very enjoyable system now but I'm not there yet!

Would JBL's help me to achieve what I'm after??

Cheers all

Matt

No experience with the models you listed however what I can say is (strangely) the efficiency rating  does not necessarily dictate the power required. Had the same results on two high efficiency speakers (Zingarli @94db & JBL@97db) both requiring substantial grunt to drive.

That experience cost me thousands so just wanted to put it out there in the hope it might help others.  

Thanks for the heads up TB.....I'm looking at 100+ watt Push Pull tube amplification (in stereo).....much higher in monoblock config so I should be ok to drive them to their full potential?

Good to know as I've been researching the PrimaLuma HP tube amp & with higher efficiency speakers thought I could maybe drop down to their non HP amp but maybe not if I go down the JBL route.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

At the end of the day I'm after that visceral, live, in the room with the musician feel that I don't quite have at the moment.

This is what you need then! :)

file-19.jpeg

But seriously the 4429 is very capable but ensure you pair it with good stands that get them up high enough. I didn't spend much time playing around with amplification at the time I had some and from memory it was all solid state, but I have heard them of the big Cary valve monos and they were very, very nice. 

On a tangent, L100's are also available this month which I think come in around the same price as the 4429, just to throw a spanner in the works.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
2 minutes ago, Marc said:

This is what you need then! :)

file-19.jpeg

But seriously the 4429 is very capable but ensure you pair it with good stands that get them up high enough. I didn't spend much time playing around with amplification at the time I had some and from memory it was all solid state, but I have heard them of the big Cary valve monos and they were very, very nice. 

On a tangent, L100's are also available this month which I think come in around the same price as the 4429, just to throw a spanner in the works.

Personally I thought the L100 were hit and miss with the set up at the show. I wanted to love them and a couple of times I liked them. But a couple of times they really put me off. Hoping it was a room thing. 

Didnt help with that Revel set-up there either 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Personally I thought the L100 were hit and miss with the set up at the show. I wanted to love them and a couple of times I liked them. But a couple of times they really put me off. Hoping it was a room thing. 

Didnt help with that Revel set-up there either 

Without taking the thread off topic too much, I agree with you. At the show, the room was just way too big.

I heard them in a small hotel room earlier in the year, again with Cary Audio and I could have sat there listening all day long.

• Like 1

Hi Jake,

I did see that pricing....I'm not ready to do anything now, just doing the research but when I am ready I'll speak to Klapp. BTW....Is there much diff between your 4600 & the S4700's in all reality? I do prefer the single bass driver speakers compared to the double bass drivers of S3900's but that's more to do with appearance & if I fell in love with their sound, it wouldn't matter.

@Marc  Nice set up....what sinister being was hiding behind what I'm assuming are K2 S9900?

If I were to end up with 4429's, I'd ask @Grizzly to make up some stands

Thanks for playing.

I have a pair of JBL 4429 that I bought on stereonet mid last year, as the seller had upgraded to JBL4367’s

i had a great listen to 4367 at his place

and also back at the hifi show in 2016.

The 4367 have a fuller sound on the bottom end whereas I would say 4429 pull up shy on the bass I want from a speaker.

great sound in the mids and high but on their own they don’t go low enough for me.  Depending on music type and the owners preferences for bass sound they may be perfect as is.

I will trial  a pair of REL t9i with the JBL 4429 when I get back from my holiday overseas next weekend. Will come back with results here in a couple of weeks

i drive the 4429 with a McIntosh ma6700 200w per channel amp and I believe that is more than enough power.  I think 100w you are thinking of should have no issues with any of the JBL’s mentioned.

also as mentioned they require stands to get to the correct height, but are suprising biggish boxes, stocky is probably the apt word?

i may consider moving on the JBL4429 And trying something different, so if you want to stay in touch.

have the original boxes and shouldn’t be trouble shipping

• Like 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

@Marc  Nice set up....what sinister being was hiding behind what I'm assuming are K2 S9900?

That's a pair of XTZ SUB 3X12 subs for HT duties. All JBL can be a little shy when it comes to sub-level bass IMO.

Everest is at the pinnacle of my loudspeaker journey ... hopefully, they won't need additional subs!

Hi @mattjtaylor2809, no not referring to sub bass, as I don’t use these for movies etc. 

See the manufacturer stats for -3db and -6db drop off below.

3db drop at 55hz, so I am talking about supplementing the range between say 20hz and 60 - 80hz

Technical Specification (according to the manufacturer)
Frequency Response: 55Hz - 20 kHz (-3 dB)
Frequency Response: 40 Hz - 45 kHz (-6 dB)
Maximum Power Input: 200 W
Sensitivity (2.83 V / 1 m): 91 dB
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ω
Crossover Frequencies: 800 Hz, 7 kHz
Dimensions (HxWxD): 635 mm x 400 mm x 300 mm
Weight: 32.3 kg / piece

I also found the freq response stats for the JBL 4367 for -6db  30hz to 40khz

i could not find the response for -3db for that model.

also I need to add at low listening volumes this issue becomes more apparent.  At higher volumes which I enjoy during critical listening sessions, bass is a lesser issue.

i think this is one area where individuals differ in their preferences.

also I don’t listen to bass heavy dance music etc.  its mostly vinyl and jazz, blues, some classical, and rock.

1 hour ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Interesting info....when I listened to the 4367 at the 2016 Hi Fi Show I didn’t think they were bass shy at all but they were playing at pretty high SPL’s....could be a deal breaker for me if -3 dB drop under 55 Hz as I have an issue in my room around 55-60 Hz....

The first figures I quoted were for the 4429.  eg 55hz

4367 probably roll off -3db around 40hz

i don’t wanna be responsible for talking you out of them.  Likewise when I heard the 4367 on 2 occasions great bass, both times at what I consider moderate to loud playing conditions

cheers

Not necessarily talking me out of them....I'm sure all speakers drop dB once the frequency is under 60-40 Hz.....I've just not seen this listed in specs (or maybe I've just noticed it)?

What it does tell me though, in the size of room I have (10 mtrs x 6 mts) & at normal listening levels, maybe the 4429 won't be the right speaker for me & I should focus my research on the S3900 & S4700?

Cheers

Matt

I haven’t heard them side by side. By all accounts the S4700 are better though. 
[mention=106714]Grizzly[/mention] heard the 4600 but I don’t know what he thought of them. 
Easily comparable with some of the best from Peterson or Linear Design.....

My audio memory is rubbish insofar as details go, but I recall them being detailed and clear at low volumes and a lot of fun when the going got louder.

17 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

I'm sure all speakers drop dB once the frequency is under 60-40 Hz.

I don't think that's true as there are numerous speakers flat to 20Hz.

They're usually the active self powered kind from what I've noticed, the bass drivers at least.