So it might just be the subs after all, although I suspect it may also have been my receiver at fault :

I replaced my 4 Pioneer subs with 2 Mordaunt Short subs and they sounded a bit better but not a great deal.

Now I am not sure what happened but but the MS subs starting sounding better - I did a factory reset on the receiver and downloaded latest update but not sure if that was before or after the subs sounding better. I may also have rerun Audyssey setup too but I was doing too much at the same time and lost track of what I had done.

But to cut a long story short I added 2 Pioneer subs back in at the rear corners and did an analyser check and sure enough with each additional sub the bass response increased. I measured it at the MLP and then I walked around the room and checked everywhere else - the response stayed pretty constant until I got into the area at the back of the room behind my bar seating area and half height wall. Here the 25hz response increased by about 20db !!

So I reran Audyssey and it sounds much much better - I can actually hear and feel explosions again. Although the analyser wasn't showing much SPL below 40hz but I guess thats to be expected with 'little' subs :(

On the Audyssey setup it was weird, because before whenever I ran it, the individual speaker level corrections were never identical across identical speakers in identical locations. (eg: FL and FR etc) There was always quite a significant difference (up to 3.5db sometimes). Now the last 3 runs have had absolutely identical level corrections across all identical speakers. And the sound overall has improved across all frequencies not just the bass ?? Which is why I suspect the receiver may have been contributiong to my issues before the last reset and update (yes I have done factory resets and updates previously too).

ANother thing with my receiver was that whenever you powered it off/on or switched input it would always revert back to Audyssey off, but it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore either.

So I am happy with it for now and will leave it as is until I can pickup my proper sub :)

You should never use 4 subs with a half a wall. 😑🙃

NAILED IT :)

So I adjusted the subs volume individually to be just over the speakers volume (by about 1db) using an SPL app on my phone.

I turned the AVR level down to -10db to do this and the subs gain level ended up being less than 1/4. Previously I have had the AVR at anywhere between -5 and 0db and the subs at 1/2 and there was still no bass or very poor quality bass.

So after doing that I now have smooth deep bass with no annoying "vibrations" - SPL app is showing almost flat frequency response across all frequencies and bass is only dropping off below 30hz (as expected with my aaverage quality subs) but 25hz has been boosted by a good 15-20db as well :)

So I really suspect it was my AVR - whether it was settings or just a faulty internal software I don't know.

And that brings me to the answer to my original post :

NO - half height wall does not affect the bass in my room :)

from what I can make out looking at the layout posted ... you appear to be sitting slap bang right in the middle of the room. in most rooms thats turns out to be a null. and nothing you will do with EQ gonna cure that. 

typically in most rooms its best to sit about 2/3rd room length. this puts you out of the middle of the room and not up against the back wall which is usually a location of high gain (so have to kill the subs) and also you loose vocal coherency due to wall behind you.

my suggestion... with subs ... its all about integration with the room and system. most important is location location location. of both subs and main listening position within the room.

yes one good sub well placed can be a lot better than 4 subs inadequately placed. but also most important is the position of the listener.... or main listening position. 

audyssey can only be icing on the cake ... its not a cure all....it cant cure poor location or poor gear and such. it will try its best but its got it limits. far better using the right sub, to locate subs and main listening position in the room to take best advantage... and then use audyssey to integrate for both setup and eq... ie the icing on the cake...

I doubt the bar is doing didly but if really concerned explore moving it ... to see effect. if you can indeed move it that is....

Drawing is not to scale - seating is just under 2/3 from front wall. But having said that RoomSim shows a better response if I move the MLP to smack bang in the middle.

The half height wall is brick - it isn't going anywhere :)

14 hours ago, niterida said:

So I really suspect it was my AVR - whether it was settings or just a faulty internal software I don't know.

It is difficult to tell based on your descriptions.

What might have been happening is that your original LFE output volume from the AVR was too high, and clipping the input to the subwoofer.   This could have made the sound "distorted" .... ie.  sound like it had "vibrations in it".

Turning the LFE output down to -10, means it is now not too loud, and the subwoofer input doesn't clip.    This is just a guess based on your description of the problem, and what you did to fix it.

The wall was never a candidate for having any effect.

I also dont know what AVR you are using, but I dont know one using audyssey  that can adequately measure, setup and EQ 4 subs. 2 is about the limit for most, and budget units do one sub at best.....