Audiolab 6000a

Hi fellow audio peoples,

I am looking at an Integrated to power my MA bronze 6 speakers for $1000 max. 

I have come across an Audiolab 6000a at Excel Hifi for $849 but it does not seem to the current one that gets all the rave reviews. All the information I can gather is for the newer one with no mention of it being the second generation. 

Does anyone have any info or have used or bought both?

My other option is to wait for the Marantz PM6006 to come on special maybe around Easter. I am not considering the Yamaha s-701 at all even though it seems the perfect choice for my budget. 

I have to buy without hearing but I am replacing a cheap amp so almost anything will be better.

The audiolab range  has 8300 series latest model 

8200 series  superseded model   and the new   6000 entry level series 

There is some good buying to be had   on the 8200  components  and have sent you a pm  about a good deal at a shop in Melbourne 

David 

I recently bought a 6000a during boxing day sales. paid $1160 incl 20% discount. I believe there is only 1 iteration of the 6000a, and it was only released mid last year. 

$850 sounds a little too cheap... are you sure it's not the 6000cdt, it looks like ~850 is what it retails for? 

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. 

Yes the audiolab hasnt been out long but if you have a look at the unit it isnt the same spec wise. 

I am using the Yamaha S-201 at the moment and its very underwhelming. I guess I am jaded about yamaha’s power claims and at $1000 I can maybe get into something with a bit more exciting. The small amount I know about 2 channel audio is that power is not everything. The 201 is supposed to be 85w its pretty ordinary. 

@Pac-man there is a sansui au 7700 for sale, i'd jump on it , it would sound incredible with your MA's, if not, you would loose nothing turning it over, good luck, don't be decieved by the 54wpc, well within your budget @ $650, good luck, and in WA, you could try before you buy

Edited by wen
  • Like 1

Ok so an update on what I have done. 

I picked up a Rotel RA-630 from (mutters under his breath) JBHifi for $728 ($1099 RRP). Its basically a Rotel a-12 without a USB and single speaker posts but same specs like 2 coaxial, 2 optical, bluetooth, Wolfson DAC and 60wpc. Really good value I think. 

The more time I spend with the more I like, I hope amp burn in is a thing and it gets a bit more low end at low listening levels. 

In the future I might add a Crown amp to charge up the speakers. 

Thanks again for all your help. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2019 at 10:43 AM, Pac-man said:

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. 

Yes the audiolab hasnt been out long but if you have a look at the unit it isnt the same spec wise. 

I am using the Yamaha S-201 at the moment and its very underwhelming. I guess I am jaded about yamaha’s power claims and at $1000 I can maybe get into something with a bit more exciting. The small amount I know about 2 channel audio is that power is not everything. The 201 is supposed to be 85w its pretty ordinary. 

Hi just wondering where you saw the specs for the 6000a? Looks like there is only the one model and if not refurbished that is an amazing price.