FS: Mimic SE - MM phono stage

Item: Mimic SE - MM phono stage
Price: $200 plus post
Item Condition: As good as new
Reason for selling: NLR
Payment Method:
Cash - pickup, Paypal - post.
Extra Info:

This is a bespoke (for the hipsters) OPAMP based, MM, battery powered phono stage, built by Mark Houston, aka Retrothermionic. More details (and internal pics) here on Mark’s blog: 

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2015/08/mimic-se-mm-phono-preamp.html

From the maker: "The SE versions has Solen output caps and some improved caps on the EQ network. There is no charge ability and batteries have to be swapped out. There are three 9V batteries but it only takes a few minutes and you get over 100 hours play on good batteries. There is a battery test point at the front so no need to lift the lid to test the batteries."

A set of new Duracell batteries are included, so you’re good to go for about 100 hours.

Pickup in Castlemaine, Mt Macedon on a Friday, Melb this weekend, or happy to post.

Pictures:

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

Edited by flanders
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Yes I remember this one, it has the Solen output caps and other polys.

These are still getting good reviews from those who own them. One owner claims his compares extremely well against his Chenook costing 1000s. 

GLWTS.

G'day Mark, thanks for the feedback. Sorry, I don't think I ever got back to you about my impressions of the Mimic! It sounds great, does everything right and is very quiet. It seems to me to be neutral and well balanced. I'd say my turntable is a limiting factor, which I'm working on - Lenco project imminent. Just to clarify, the only reason I'm selling it is because I want to simplify my system so that my partner can more easily switch it on and listen to music. If she goes to put on an LP one night and the batteries have gone flat, she'll walk away, never to return (to listen to music)!

• Like 1