Sign in to follow this  
mexicoke68

USB Cable

14 minutes ago, Ball said:

For your own system you need to hear a difference that is enough to justify the expense. However, if you can’t hear an improvement it is not that cables are all the same. It is just that other parts of the system need attention before cables. My experience is that as the system gets upgraded aspects that seemed less important, like cables,
start to become more noticeable. That makes sense if the system is becoming higher resolution.

By your logic my system isn't resolving enough to tell apart different USB cables; I'm not sure how much expense qualifies as enough. Either that, or there's something wrong with my ears. At the end of the day, if it sounds the same to me, I'll buy the cheaper cable.

Con,

Have you tried the Curious USB cable? It’s the only one where I think I heard a positive difference. The next best one to me was the Oyaide Continental 5S, both $300-400 cables ...both small potatoes improvement, with the Curious being a larger potato.  🤔

Steve

Edited by Steve M

7 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Have you tried the Curious USB cable? It’s the only one where I think I heard a positive difference. The next best one to me was the Oyaide Continental 5S, both $300-400 cables ...both small potatoes improvement, with the Curious being a larger potato.  🤔

I'm an open minded software engineer that actually understands the USB protocol (I've even written quite a few USB drivers, though not for audio). I was open minded enough to try about 10 different cables up to $1000. Having confirmed my suspicions, I gave up and will not bother with said experiment again. So now I'm closed minded maybe? Nocebo effect maybe? Whatever, it allows me to spend more on components that make differences I can hear, or more music. Sorry Steve, I appreciate the gesture though.

No worries Con ...I don’t like bs in this hobby either and as you may have seen in my eclectic collection of system components, I use what I use based on what pleases my ear and what I personally perceive to be realism in audio reproduction. 

http://stevem1960.blogspot.com/

I was highly sceptical of USB cable differences too (its only data transmission, right?), but the Curious was trialled over a couple of weeks and I felt that there was an increase in overall timing, separation and coherence with it in place. Though I wouldn’t bet my house on it and it is one of those 1-2% incremental moves rather than anything dramatic.

Steve

Edited by Steve M

1 hour ago, Steve M said:

No worries Con ...I don’t like bs in this hobby either and as you may have seen in my eclectic collection of system components, I use what I use based on what pleases my ear and what I personally perceive to be realism in audio reproduction. 

http://stevem1960.blogspot.com/

I was highly sceptical of USB cable differences too (its only data transmission, right?), but the Curious was trialled over a couple of weeks and I felt that there was an increase in overall timing, separation and coherence with it in place. Though I wouldn’t bet my house on it and it is one of those 1-2% incremental moves rather than anything dramatic.

Steve

You can bet your house on one thing:

Under a properly conducted double blind test, using certified USB cables, that you will never reliably pick one cable from another. Not ever.

Bet your house on it.

I reject the bet Trevor ...instinct and experience says the Curious USB cable does something positive, but I wouldn’t bet on it.🙄

Steve.

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

You can bet your house on one thing:

Under a properly conducted double blind test, using certified USB cables, that you will never reliably pick one cable from another. Not ever.

Bet your house on it.

This is what I do... Or at least did. Well, single blinded was enough.

Edited by Ittaku

In all my testing I have reached the conclusion that DBT's make everything sound the same.

So now I know why Ittaku , Zaph and others that like DBT's, say cables all sound the same!!  :D

12 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

This is what I do... Or at least did. Well, single blinded was enough.

Nah, I think you’re better than blind testing as you straddle the line between belief and truth (what the science tells you) ...hence your leap to valves and Supratek which is not misguided. Things either sound REAL to you or not - regardless of topology. :thumb:

Steve

Edited by Steve M

9 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

In all my testing I have reached the conclusion that DBT's make everything sound the same.

I have been involved in and conducted a number of DBTs. I can attest to the fact that your conclusion is incorrect.

9 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

So now I know why Ittaku , Zaph and others that like DBT's, say cables all sound the same!!  :D

I have NEVER said such a thing.

14 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Nope, analogue cables all sound different. Speaker cables dramatically so, interconnects subtly so. Well made digital cables all sound the same. Crappily made digital ones, or ones not made to spec sound different, usually worse. That's been my unblinded opinion, and confirmed with blinded tests.

Edited by Ittaku

21 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

So they all sound  different when you stare at them....:D

28 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

And this review confirms exactly what I was saying before about DACs where the USB power pin is connected and used. It's the only scenario where there is an advantage to different cables - preferably you should be using a cable which separates out the power pin allowing you to power the DAC with a less noisy power supply instead. In terms of actual noise (not transmitted power supply noise) the Wireworld performed worse than the Amazon cable.

To add some value to the USB cable question the following is a quote from PSAudio DAC guru Ted Smith Sept 2018 in their forums.

“The 2nd most common source of noise from USB is running the data lines parallel to the power and ground lines for the distance. There are some “audiophile” USB cables that basically split into two USB cables, one with the power and ground the other with the data. Since they are separate cables (except at the ends) they can be shielded from each other. I’m not sure how easy it would be to make one at home, but it’s a cheap experiment if you are using generic USB cables.”

On 06/02/2019 at 7:33 PM, rocky500 said:

Could it also be that because they expect no difference then they perceive no differences?

DBTs would not preclude a null outcome when those involved expect no differences.