USB Cable

1 minute ago, Muon N' said:

That's fine if you believe that a DBT can preclude an null outcome due to expectation bias in the negative, I don't but that is just my take on it.

And what about all the people that are absolutely certain there's an audible difference? Should they not succeed in telling the difference in a DBT? The thing is, they don't...

Right, and as I've said in other threads, if you find an improvement and are happy with the expense associated with it, you need not care what I think, whether that be USB cables, power cables, fuses, quantum purifiers, crystals, or facing your DAC towards Mecca. But if asked for opinions, I will still give mine, along with any associated science I'm aware of.

Be Careful with DBT's., especially with subtle differences.

I was doing a lot of them a while back and was having no success as everything sounded the same. so went reading a lot and in the Alan Shaw Harbeth forums, found it is not easy to setup and do to get meaningful results.

He personally has been doing them his whole career in designing Harbeth speakers, so I would think he might be a bit of a expert in them.

From memory it was something like the following

He mentioned you can take no longer than a maximum of 2 seconds or the differences disappear. He feels the quicker the better and  likes to keep changes/switches to micro seconds.

You can't listen too long between a change,  He has to be in the right mind frame and rested and relaxed as sometimes he has to walk away from the tests and come back to them to get back into the zone..

There was a bunch of other stuff too on it. A lot won't be able to hear differences without training as well.

So looking online at most of the audio DBT's, I really think they are not ever done properly and people might come to the wrong conclusions.

Edited by rocky500

Guest Muon N'

I'v never used a USB cable in my audio set up, even when i was into DAC's I stuck with coax.

Bloody CD player dies the other day after I procrastinated a full recap...for too long :lol:

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

@mexicoke68 you did not know what you started!  :shocked:. 6 pages later, the debate continues with 2 entrenched camps still trading blows!  

Suggest you borrow an expensive USB cable and compare it with a generic one and decide for yourself...

@Snoopy8

To me this is good advice.  Ultimately do not rely or base your ventures upon the opinions or details of others and their respective experiences.

To me there is no definitive or agreed outcome to this discussion and others like it and there never can be.  It is always the same yes it does provide a benefit Vs not it can’t.  To me the question is whether there ever will be an answer?  We are all individuals with different hearing, our system components and their relative quality vary, the rooms are different, the respective cables utilised and importantly the implementation of the USB sending and receiving protocols and the quality in our components are different.  How can there ever be consensus?

To some there is no benefit and to others there are benefits using expensive USB or other accessories.  The fall back position always from those who say that there is no benefit is to say to those who say that there is a benefit is always the same.  That unless the perceived or experienced beneficial outcome result is then subject to the proverbial DBT it is not valid. 

John

• Like 1