buddyev

Speaker coupling & isolation

My place has a sprung wooden floor. If I walk across it makes noise and the floorboards move. If I jump it makes a racket like a big drum. Coupling my speakers to a drum or basically another passive speaker (ie the floor) doesnt make sense as it will vibrate to some extent and introduce unwanted effects. This is where this decoupling concept makes perfect sense to me. But when you have a concrete slab for a floor I dont really understand...

Further to the above once you do decouple you can expect the amount of bass to decrease because you dont have this huge passive speaker (the floor) vibrating/resonating along with your speaker, You may prefer to not decouple. Although the quality of the bass is more likely to be improved there will be less.

Sorbothane is used for industrial damping applications, worth a try under speakers also if you want to decouple.

4 minutes ago, frednork said:

Further to the above once you do decouple you can expect the amount of bass to decrease because you dont have this huge passive speaker (the floor) vibrating/resonating along with your speaker, You may prefer to not decouple. Although the quality of the bass is more likely to be improved there will be less.

Sorbothane is used for industrial damping applications, worth a try under speakers also if you want to decouple.

I found the same with my speakers on a concrete floor, straight up I was "where did the bass go?" but didn't take lone to realise that the bass was just more accurate and clean (no woolliness).

That's with the Bamboo boards and anti-vibration rubber.

Made more of a difference for friends that did have wood floors.

3 hours ago, crisis said:

One of the issues Ive had with Max Townshend's speaker isolation for speakers is that I always understood speaker cabinets should be as securely fixed as possible. If they are able to move then some of the energy form the movement of the cone could be transferred into the cabinet as opposed into the air.

I did too for over 35 years until now.

A friend has used these in his system and they are incredibly effective. Did you watch the video through completely?  I thought Max explains the physics that clarifies that by comparing velocities of the distortion feeding into cabinet from mechanical coupling versus the driver's sound wave propagation.

9 hours ago, crisis said:

I always understood speaker cabinets should be as securely fixed as possible.

There's little black and white in the matter.    Intuitively, you might expect that the speaker should remain rigidly fixed in space.... but it's not really that simple.

Before you can understand "what's best" .... You need to quantify the actual problem you are having....  and examine "what is best?" in the context of solving the issue.

14 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Not me..... this time! 😳

must say though I’ve recently put the SVS isolation feet on my PB-2000 and it’s made a huge difference in the positive. 

Apologies- it was @mloutfie :) 

Ah the isoprop. It's hasn't been moved out of my system so long I forgot it's there :)

Tried the Townshend springs but sounds the same as just sitting on thick carpet with foam furniture sliders underneath so the sliders are now permanent additions. 

20180826_143802.jpg

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

There's little black and white in the matter.    Intuitively, you might expect that the speaker should remain rigidly fixed in space.... but it's not really that simple.

Mechanically speaking it would seem consistent to have them rigid in keeping with the practice of having solid cabinets and firmly attached drivers.

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Before you can understand "what's best" .... You need to quantify the actual problem you are having....  and examine "what is best?" in the context of solving the issue.

There doesn't appear to be an obvious "issue" however nothing is perfect. I really think my room needs attention first but at some stage this may be worth an experiment.

15 hours ago, Aperalim said:

I did too for over 35 years until now.

A friend has used these in his system and they are incredibly effective. Did you watch the video through completely?  I thought Max explains the physics that clarifies that by comparing velocities of the distortion feeding into cabinet from mechanical coupling versus the driver's sound wave propagation.

Not all but I think I have seen it or another one by him before. I'm not sure it is entirely reconciled nor is the relationship with the vibrations and why they would affect the speaker.