TomW

Sydney Audio Club Meeting - Sunday 10th February 2019 - DAC Comparison

On looks the 'Holo' is a hands down winner (to my taste of course..)

All three contestants were great -in different ways - although the Mytec didn't really get a fair hearing due to some kind of software (?) malfunction which, at the end made it a two horse race.

I did like the detail of the Benchmark DAC and, in the right system, would be hard to beat. 

Overall though, the Holo - in the context of the set up available there - sounded somewhat more natural ( or analogue as some like to say).

Of course, as Tom pointed out, it's all about synergy and it doesn't mean one device is *better* than the other. Different, yes, but *better* ...well, it comes down to personal taste I guess.

It was a great shoot out though and I hope we will see more happening in the not so distant future.  Thanks to all that supplied the equipment and organized the event.

Edited by Arthur K

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ppsa
      Item: Mytek Liberty DAC 
      Price: $1200 $900 $800 $700 - including free shipping (including 1 pair of Mogami TRS - XLR-M balanced cables) 
      Item Condition: 9.99/10 (being used) 
      Reason for selling: trying different things 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Postage under buyer cost. 
      Extra Info: Bought new from local dealer on the 14/11/18 simply wanted to try out MQA through Tidal. Deal includes a PAIR of Mogami Gold TRS to XLR-M balanced cables in 6 foot(cost me $138). All accessories are included. Can be shipped at your cost. 

Pictures:

• By norpus
      Item:  Benchmark DAC1
      Price: $310 firm
      Item Condition: Used, as a DAC with my Esoteric transport and also as a headphone amp
      Reason for selling:Selling up everything and going bush for 2 years
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, , COD Only
      Extra Info:

Pictures:

• By srms
      Item: Mytek Brooklyn DAC (Silver)
      Price: $1850
      Item Condition: Very Good
      Reason for selling: No longer required
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:   The unit is currently on loan to an SNA member in Melbourne so my preference is for pick.  

I am the second owner of this well-regarded DAC which will process PCM, DSD and MQA. I have used it on and off for around 18 months. I had a brief try of DSD which sounds nice but to be honest, I can't be bothered with setting up the computer and running HQ player. I would rather just use my streamer. I also have a couple of SACD players with good internal DAC's so I really don't need the Brooklyn as well.
      The Brooklyn will also function as a phono, preamp and headphone amp (I have never tried using the phono or headphone section) 
      The unit comes with its box, original USB cable and Apple Remote. The DAC software is updatable by the users and is a simple process.
      I have stolen a couple of images from a previous Brooklyn that was sold on SNA (I am not currently in possession of the DAC) but I should be able to get some images in a couple of days of the actual unit.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/the-host-with-the-most-mytek-digitals-brooklyn/

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn/

Pictures: