SOLD: FS: KEF 105 Speakers Vintage - Sydney

SOLD
SOLD

Item: KEF 105 Speakers Vintage 
Price: $1500
Item Condition: Very good for its age. Well looked after. One owner. 
Reason for selling: Selling for an elderly gentleman who no longer requires his HiFi gear and has asked me to help him. More interested in seeing it picked up sooner rather than later.  If I am way off price, please let me know. Photos look a little rough but that's because of dust etc.. it will clean up nicely.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Pictures:

image1-4.jpeg

Beautiful speakers!.

Definitely worth the asking price. At this price it won't stay this longer if you were in Melbourne.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, djb said:

Not sure where they fit in the range?

pre or post concerto  higher or lower in quality

Post Concerto, and significantly higher in quality than the Concertos.  These are quite rare and very impressive if partnered with the right gear.   A no brainer at $1500.

• Like 1

I think these Reference 105 date from 1978, being the first version. I had the second version 105/2 for quite a while in the 1990s and enjoyed them, although the top end was a bit muted for some tastes. Never bothered me particularly. Perform best with a good solid power amplifier. I used the 200w x 2 Phase Linear at that time. Bass performance was better than the 104.2 (without Kube) and didn't need the Kube EQ unit, which the 104.2 definitely does to get proper bass extension.  

2 minutes ago, Spinnergeoff said:

I think these Reference 105 date from 1978, being the first version. I had the second version 105/2 for quite a while in the 1990s and enjoyed them, although the top end was a bit muted for some tastes. Never bothered me particularly. Perform best with a good solid power amplifier. I used the 200w x 2 Phase Linear at that time. Bass performance was better than the 104.2 (without Kube) and didn't need the Kube EQ unit, which the 104.2 definitely does to get proper bass extension.  

interesting take

when i had mine i spent a lot of time comparing the two and found the 104.2 to have more defined and controlled bass where as the 105.2 was deeper and louder it was a bit flabby and boomy in comparison

the 105 does not have flabby or boomy bass, just saying in comparison to the 104.2

and the top end while not as sparkly as some may like had a huge amount of definition and clarity. and they image like only the vintage kefs can

i think with speakers of this age its all down to how well the caps and drivers have aged. 

if we put two pairs of 105 side by side i think they would sound very different.

21 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

interesting take

when i had mine i spent a lot of time comparing the two and found the 104.2 to have more defined and controlled bass where as the 105.2 was deeper and louder it was a bit flabby and boomy in comparison

the 105 does not have flabby or boomy bass, just saying in comparison to the 104.2

and the top end while not as sparkly as some may like had a huge amount of definition and clarity. and they image like only the vintage kefs can

i think with speakers of this age its all down to how well the caps and drivers have aged. 

if we put two pairs of 105 side by side i think they would sound very different.

I sold both and for my type of music, preferred the 104.2. Never sold 104.2's with a Cube. Cubes were only supplied to us with the 105.These are  great speakers, GLWTS.

Edited by Wimbo

I think some say that the originals were better made (and apparently somewhat heavier) than the series 2. Just check for coil rubbing on those woofers as they're getting on in age now and known for it. It's not a deal breaker necessarily - people just rotate them in their mounting to ameliorate the issue as soon as it becomes apparent. I think few people with these ever feel good about selling them! Everyone that does says something about missing them. 

Edited by treuben

I've owned the 104.2 as well and the bass was disappointing. 55Hz is not deep bass by any measure.

"The optional KEF KUBE equaliser was available to extend the low frequency response down to 20Hz (-6dB, Q=0.5). "

http://au.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-museum/1980s/reference-series-model-1042-1984-96

The 105.2 was good for 38Hz.

Currently using Alon V which are better than all the above, but the 105  on offer are going to make someone very happy I'm sure.

Edited by Spinnergeoff